• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beowulf - English

Zephyr

Moved on
I still have yet to see that one....didn't look too appealing. Me personally, I'm still quite fond of The 13th Warrior, even though it's technically not Beowulf.
If the original story is remotely enjoyable to you, don't. It starts off more or less acceptable, and then they crap ALL over the story.

Worshipper

I still have yet to see that one....didn't look too appealing. Me personally, I'm still quite fond of The 13th Warrior, even though it's technically not Beowulf.
It's definitely not Beowulf. It's more like, vaguely inspired by Beowulf. The 13th Warrior was immeasurably better.

I rented that new POS at Redbox. It cost one dollar and six cents. I felt sad for a few days about spending my money so poorly.

Even without knowing my spending habits, that should tell you something about its quality.

No*s

Captain Obvious
It's definitely not Beowulf. It's more like, vaguely inspired by Beowulf. The 13th Warrior was immeasurably better.

I rented that new POS at Redbox. It cost one dollar and six cents. I felt sad for a few days about spending my money so poorly.

Even without knowing my spending habits, that should tell you something about its quality.

Sadly, I went to see it in the theater. I walked out so mad that I had to read the original to cool down. Every time I see Hollywood screw up a classic, I swear it's the last time I'll go, and I go again. I wonder why they have to try and go so far abroad from the originals when they adapt them. It makes no sense to me, nor does it make for a better story.

Zephyr

Moved on
Sadly, I went to see it in the theater. I walked out so mad that I had to read the original to cool down. Every time I see Hollywood screw up a classic, I swear it's the last time I'll go, and I go again. I wonder why they have to try and go so far abroad from the originals when they adapt them. It makes no sense to me, nor does it make for a better story.
A lot of people claim that movies suck compared to books since they can't cram everything in, but Beowulf took it to a whole new level, not just omitting things, but changing things in a VERY critical manner, reducing the brave character of Beowulf into a cowardly wuss.

No*s

Captain Obvious
A lot of people claim that movies suck compared to books since they can't cram everything in, but Beowulf took it to a whole new level, not just omitting things, but changing things in a VERY critical manner, reducing the brave character of Beowulf into a cowardly wuss.

Yes, that was precisely the problem I had with the movie (or most movies). It's not so much getting all the details right; some things need to be changed. Changing the dragon fight to a flying action sequence makes perfect sense. Changing Beowulf, as you stated, to a craven and virtueless would-be hero makes no sense. I had the same problem with Troy's portrayal of its "heroes". I'm beginning to think Hollywood directors are in a game of one-upsmanship over who can debase classical literature the most effectively.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I was looking through some old stuff I have on Runes and Norse mythology when I found the Beowulf translatted into english.

I will post it a little at a time here for RF.

I can't remember where I found it so I'll keep looking and post the site here for acknowledgement purposes.

-------------------<edit>---------------

I found another site that has this on it.
You can goto it here

From my understanding Beowulf has its roots in old Norse and its origin is by many thought to be Geatish which is an old Norse word meaning Gottland which used to be between Sweden and Denmark.
Beowulf is thought to be first written in Anglo Saxon Wessex which is the south west of England and unfortunately the Author is unknown.

Duck

If you think that the most recent iteration of Beowulf is bad... About 8 or 9 years ago (saw it on dvd in 2001, not sure when it was in theaters) I saw a movie entitled 'Beowulf' with Christopher Lambert (you know, the Highlander?) that was so bad that I wept, and seriously thought about lawsuits for the $4.98 and more importantly 98 minutes of my life I wasted on that crap. Still the second worst movie I have ever seen in my life. PLEASE DO NOT RENT THAT MOVIE TO SEE HOW BAD IT WAS!!

It shared the name of the main character and the primary foe. Then it diverged into bad science fiction. Wooden halls, log fortifications, tunics, broadswords and lasers. yes, LASERS. Normally, I would say that is fantastic, I love laser weapons in movies, but in a mediveal setting for a movie adaptation of Beowulf? Might as well do the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem or Prose Eddas set in New York City. Truly a horror.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
If you think that the most recent iteration of Beowulf is bad... About 8 or 9 years ago (saw it on dvd in 2001, not sure when it was in theaters) I saw a movie entitled 'Beowulf' with Christopher Lambert (you know, the Highlander?) that was so bad that I wept, and seriously thought about lawsuits for the $4.98 and more importantly 98 minutes of my life I wasted on that crap. Still the second worst movie I have ever seen in my life. PLEASE DO NOT RENT THAT MOVIE TO SEE HOW BAD IT WAS!!

It shared the name of the main character and the primary foe. Then it diverged into bad science fiction. Wooden halls, log fortifications, tunics, broadswords and lasers. yes, LASERS. Normally, I would say that is fantastic, I love laser weapons in movies, but in a mediveal setting for a movie adaptation of Beowulf? Might as well do the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem or Prose Eddas set in New York City. Truly a horror.

Yeah, that movie was terrible. I don't mind the concept of adapting a medieval story to a punk-industrial setting, but Christopher Lambert portrayed a terrible Beowulf, the story made little sense, and the special effects on Grendel and his mom were terrible.

Though I do like the one with Gerard Butler (though there are definitely problems with it), no movie can do justice to the original poem.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I always did like Beowulf...I suspect it's been revised from its earliest forms several times, so one could probably claim with validity that it had multiple authors. Seamus Heaney did a very good translation, by the bye.

I know this is a really really old thread, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents regarding whether it's been revised. I am confident that it has been, and it's pretty much a fact that is was. It was more than likely brought over to England by the Angles or Saxons when they migrated to England. Then after the country was Christianized, whoever copied it on paper added in all the references to God in and removed the Pagan God(s) references. Just by reading it you can tell this is the case. For one, it takes place in Scandinavia, which wasn't Christianized until the 11th century. Also, just by looking at the customs. Burying Kings with grave-goods, the completing of quests for gold, the glorification of Honour and the like, etc. All Pagan ideas.

Ilisrum

I agree that the Christian references feel out of place in the story. It's not impossible that the story was altered orally overtime to conform to Christian ideals, rather than being totally the work of the author. Given that it's unknown when the story was put into writing and, to my knowledge, there's only a single manuscript in existence, it's at least plausible that there were different versions of the story circulating at different times.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I agree that the Christian references feel out of place in the story. It's not impossible that the story was altered orally overtime to conform to Christian ideals, rather than being totally the work of the author. Given that it's unknown when the story was put into writing and, to my knowledge, there's only a single manuscript in existence, it's at least plausible that there were different versions of the story circulating at different times.

It's more than likely true that when it was actually written down, it had already been Christianized. Which is disappointing to me. The Christian element of the story made it less enjoyable for me, even though it was still very enjoyable.