• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing Vs Knowing

Skwim

Veteran Member
I would say we will know when we can verify through a non-human standard. As long as we can only base knowledge on human observations alone we can never truly know.
How about simple incidents. If I observed one car hit another, why couldn't it be the case that I know one car hit another?

Skwim

Veteran Member
What is believing? What is knowing? These two are changeable.
But certainly not interchangeable, or do you think they're synonyms?

As for what they are, I almost asked for definitions in the OP, but decided against it for fear of taking the thread off track.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
How about simple incidents. If I observed one car hit another, why couldn't it be the case that I know one car hit another?

Because are senses and memory are limited. I could easily fool you into believing you observed one car hit another car.

syo

But certainly not interchangeable, or do you think they're synonyms?

As for what they are, I almost asked for definitions in the OP, but decided against it for fear of taking the thread off track.

If I see the sky is blue, that moment I know the sky is blue.

If I close my eyes and someone asks me what color is the sky, I will guess the sky is blue,and I'll believe the sky might be blue at that moment.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If I see the sky is blue, that moment I know the sky is blue.

If I close my eyes and someone asks me what color is the sky, I will guess the sky is blue,and I'll believe the sky might be blue at that moment.
So knowing is limited to immediate apprehension?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You could show it by devouring a pie for two or more all by yourself.

I have also devoured my ex-wife's cooking, but it was because I was hungry and there was nothing else in the house to eat.

Had you tasted my ex's food, you would know that devouring food isn't necessarily a sign that you like it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You could show it by devouring a pie for two or more all by yourself.
Screenshot_20190401_173551.jpg

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
At what point does believing something change into knowing it?
Believing something is subjective?
Knowing something is objective?

Belief becomes knowledge when it can be proven to others.

atanu

Premium Member
At what point does believing something change into knowing it?

Epistemology itself is, to some extent, an axiomatic premise. To me, truth is that which passes the following six:

The ancient and medieval texts of Advaita Vedanta and other schools of Hindu philosophy discuss Pramana (epistemology). The theory of Pramana discusses questions like how correct knowledge can be acquired; how one knows, how one doesn't; and to what extent knowledge pertinent about someone or something can be acquired.[206][207] Advaita Vedānta,[208] accepts the following six kinds of pramāṇas:[209][210]

1. Pratyakṣa (प्रत्यक्षाय) - perception
  2. Anumāṇa (अनुमान) - inference
  3. Upamāṇa (उपमान) - comparison, analogy
  4. Arthāpatti (अर्थापत्ति) - postulation, derivation from circumstances[207][211]
  5. Anupalabdi (अनुपलब्धि) - non-perception, negative/cognitive proof[212]
  6. Śabda (शब्द) - relying on word, testimony of past or present reliable experts[207][212]

Advaita Vedanta - Wikipedia

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: We can try to show what we know but that does not mean that others will see what we see. Others cannot know what we know unless they see what we see.

Polymath257 said: Which means it is opinion and not knowledge.
No, not necessarily. People can be looking at the same knowledge but that does not mean all those people will experience or understand the same knowledge in the same way.

knowledge
;
1. facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.
2. awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact or situation.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=knowledge+means