• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing Vs Knowing

Skwim

Veteran Member

I believe i know.png

At what point does believing something change into knowing it?

whirlingmerc

Neither wishful thinking or mere intellectual assent is saving faith anyhow.

'The demons believe and tremble' says James.
The problem is even after all is settled and you 'know' the facts are true concerning who Jesus was and what He did on the cross, a syllogistic father is merely intellectual ascent.

One needs to treasure and trust to move to saving faith. New treasures and new pleasures which come with a new birth and drive repentance and other fruit

Skwim

Veteran Member
Neither wishful thinking or mere intellectual assent is saving faith anyhow.

'The demons believe and tremble' says James.
The problem is even after all is settled and you 'know' the facts are true concerning who Jesus was and what He did on the cross, a syllogistic father is merely intellectual ascent.

One needs to treasure and trust to move to saving faith. New treasures and new pleasures which come with a new birth and drive repentance and other fruit

quzzical look the hell you say.png

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And I presume he can show that? Aron Ra may show himself something to his own satisfaction but that doesn't constitute much.
When it comes to claims about evolution he is hard to beat. Creationists look like the fools that they are when they go against him.

Earthling

David Henson
When it comes to claims about evolution he is hard to beat. Creationists look like the fools that they are when they go against him.

That's not saying much, though is it? They hardly know their own Bible, surely you don't expect them to hazard a guess at some alternative mythology.

THAT'S IT! I'm not saying another word on the subject. W-w-well you . . . you bewitched me!

[zip]

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's not saying much, though is it? They hardly know their own Bible, surely you don't expect them to hazard a guess at some alternative mythology.

THAT'S IT! I'm not saying another word on the subject. W-w-well you . . . you bewitched me!

[zip]
What makes you think that they do not know their Bible? They probably know it just as well as you do, if not better. I have noticed that when you debate the Bible that you have a hard time supporting your beliefs. That is usually not a good sign.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
from what I've seen here at the forum....

you know if science or a strong line of thought displays it
you believe if your personal stamp of approval can apply

fine line

example.....science leads to the primordial singularity
science claims nothing will move until something moves it

I believe.....because science is fairly sure stuff
I know....there is a God
because of science

without a Creator....this reality is a mystery without resolve
and science has lost that......point

Earthling

David Henson
What makes you think that they do not know their Bible? They probably know it just as well as you do, if not better. I have noticed that when you debate the Bible that you have a hard time supporting your beliefs. That is usually not a good sign.

And I've noticed that almost everything you say is pure unfounded opinion. Almost everything.

Earthling

David Henson
That is not the case. I can and do support my claims when needed. When have you ever done so?

I've almost never noticed you do that. Me? Well, at least I try. The problem is, it doesn't fit with your own personal opinion. It's odd that someone as reasonable as you claim to be can't see that. That is, can't see beyond your unfounded opinion. About me or anything else you expound upon.

But, hey, that's the most interesting thing about you. I often wonder . . . I'm being serious here, not facetious . . . does that come from age? From education? Environment? Is it a personal flaw?

I don't know the answer and I probably never will.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Awareness and understanding of a verifiable fact or proven theory is knowledge, serious consideration of an unverifiable or non-falsifiable hypothesis is belief.

There have been accidental discoveries, but most knowledge is acquired through the scientific method. ...:)

big_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The answer to me is when there is evidence.

To me the evidence can be external, in other words the scientific method.

The evidence can also be internal, experiential, the experience of the mystic - one who travels the spiritual path until he or she reaches the destination.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've almost never noticed you do that. Me? Well, at least I try. The problem is, it doesn't fit with your own personal opinion. It's odd that someone as reasonable as you claim to be can't see that. That is, can't see beyond your unfounded opinion. About me or anything else you expound upon.

But, hey, that's the most interesting thing about you. I often wonder . . . I'm being serious here, not facetious . . . does that come from age? From education? Environment? Is it a personal flaw?

I don't know the answer and I probably never will.
No, that is not the case. You have the mistaken idea that you are a source. Your interpretation of the Bible is no more valid than that of anyone if you cannot find outside sources that support you. All you can demonstrate is your own opinion. You are projecting your sins upon others.

I can support my scientific claims. I can even support the biblical claims that I make. You might want to work on that.