• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing in God without religion

Karolina

I have cross posted this in the Deism forum as well, since I'm not sure where it makes the most sense. There doesn't seem to be a generic "Theism". It's automatically subdivided into some other organized religion, be it Judaism, Islam, Christianity, etc. I understand the basic premise of Deism is that God is not actively involved in creation, while Theism claims just the opposite. I would like to find the sort of Theism that is like Deism in its lack of group revelations, rituals, prescriptions, mythologies, etc, but nonetheless not deny that God does care and is reachable by humanity, though the details of how that is done should be open to individual interpretation.
Do theists who do not follow organized religion fall under the "spiritual but not religious" category? I don't ever hear anyone calling themselves a Theist. It seems like this stance is more like an explanation than an identity: "I believe in God but not religion".

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It sounds to me as though you're in your own category. There's no real reason to label yourself as any more than what you are. However, I do understand how isolating this can feel if you want a community :hibiscus:

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Do theists who do not follow organized religion fall under the "spiritual but not religious"
I view "religion" as a system of belief, or a formalization of belief through doctrine and ritual. I view Spirituality as a recognition of the other dimension of existence. I think spirituality can become a system of belief and evolve into a religion given enough time.

MonkeyFire

God must create infinite descending and ascending times as a moral obligation, and is still in nirvana.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have cross posted this in the Deism forum as well, since I'm not sure where it makes the most sense. There doesn't seem to be a generic "Theism". It's automatically subdivided into some other organized religion, be it Judaism, Islam, Christianity, etc. I understand the basic premise of Deism is that God is not actively involved in creation, while Theism claims just the opposite. I would like to find the sort of Theism that is like Deism in its lack of group revelations, rituals, prescriptions, mythologies, etc, but nonetheless not deny that God does care and is reachable by humanity, though the details of how that is done should be open to individual interpretation.
Do theists who do not follow organized religion fall under the "spiritual but not religious" category? I don't ever hear anyone calling themselves a Theist. It seems like this stance is more like an explanation than an identity: "I believe in God but not religion".

From how I understand it theism just focuses on belief in gods but not the nature of that belief. So, Pagans are theists, Hindus, of course Abrahamics, and so forth. While deism even though there is no one to one contact with god(s), some religions say only god can be known through an intermediary whether it be gods/goddesses, ancestors, saints, so have you. The intermediary is a direct connection to god, so in that sense it's deism but in another sense it's not. But either are part of theism.

I think people who believe in gods (theists) fall under many hats. Some need religion and/or scripture to understand god. Some understand god by ritual and practice. Some are more "spiritual" I guess meaning mystic in nature. Others who are religious value the concrete stuff in life to complement the spiritual. Also, find your own words or way to describe religion and spirituality. Religion doesn't need to be bad and spirituality-only doesn't need to be good. They have their place. Both or either.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
We actually do have a general theism forum: Theism

It has four subforms, monotheism, polytheism, etc, but you can scroll past those subcategories to post in the general Theism forum.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I posted this in the other place you put this OP so now I'm transferring it here and deleting it from the other thread.
At it's basic level Christianity is probably like what you are looking for. Meeting with other Christians however is helpful and suggested in the Bible for mutual encouragement etc. This of course can mean rituals etc. I used to fellowship with a group that called itself a fellowship in that it was not aligned with any particular denomination.
I go to an Anglican Church at the moment and we also have what we call home groups where some people meet regularly at one person's home for social interaction, Bible study, prayer, discussion etc. Maybe that sort of things is what you need.
But of course Christianity is belief in Jesus as Lord and not just in a personal creator God.
Many theologians do say that Jesus did not come to start a new religion like the others, but that is what people do and it has it's up sides and down sides.
I hope you find what you need.

There are lots of people who don't follow any formal religion but believe in God, and yeah, they are usually the ones who say "spiritual not religious".

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe in God, not religion. My experience is that Jesus Christ is the Creator God who became human to relate and for relationship with humans. God is not a practice, ritual, or religion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm spiritual not religious. I would call myself a theist, but i'm more specifically a monotheist, and it just saves people asking the next logical question "what type of theist are you" to describe myself as a monotheist.