• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing in God, but not in any religion?

Thinking

Hello,

I am new here.

I live in Germany, I am 18 years old and currently I am studying in university.

I've been thinking a lot of years about what I will write in the following and I hope that you can give me some advice, whether my idea/thoughts are wrong, or not.

So, I was born into a muslim family. So right now I am - or at least I pretend ot be a muslim. My family is really religious and I would only get kicked out of the house if I tell them what I truly think about religions.
Therefore, for the time being, it is better for me not to talk about religion with my family.

Let me come straightly to the point. I do believe in God, but I do not believe that any religion (which I've got to know till now) is right. I read the Qu'ran and the Bible. However, some simple-minded thoughts already confuse me.

You might not be able to answer them too, so it's rather a question of justification.

The reason, why I do not believe in any religion is that the religions, which I've come to know so far, always disadvantage other religions and people. Furthermore, I don't know how the God of a certain religion should be able to judge people, who don't show any kind of interest into religion. I have a lot of friends who simply live life by what their parents taught them. Basically, most of the people who are born into a religion, will keep their religion without questioning whether it's right, or not. Billions of people are out there, without even knowing what's been written inside the most important book of their religion. They don't even know what some feasts are for. I asked some people in real life, but they couldn't give me a proper answer and their lack in knowledge also made me fear that they just life live without questioning anything. I always got told "just read the Qu'ran!" But it's quite sad to hear this phrase, because I did read it and I am still disappointed by some points that are written inside. That's the biggest problem I have to believe in a religion.

There are numerous other questions which I have considering Islam and Christianity and so on, but it's useless, if people don't know how they justify (what i wrote above) for themselves, to go deeper into religious questions.

Please don't criticize me for what I wrote and what I think. I think of myself as a young boy, who still has to learn a lot of things about this world.

Sincerely.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Hello,

Please don't criticize me for what I wrote and what I think. I think of myself as a young boy, who still has to learn a lot of things about this world.

Sincerely.

People will always criticize you. You must remain open and be honest to yourself. You are the only one responsible for you.

Thinking

People will always criticize you. You must remain open and be honest to yourself. You are the only one responsible for you.

Yes that's true, but I don't advocate the fact that people should be critized because of the way they think.

I am open, I always try to understand what other people are telling me by trying to look at the theme from their perspective :)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,

I am new here.

Welcome.

I've been thinking a lot of years about what I will write in the following and I hope that you can give me some advice, whether my idea/thoughts are wrong, or not.

So, I was born into a muslim family. So right now I am - or at least I pretend ot be a muslim. My family is really religious and I would only get kicked out of the house if I tell them what I truly think about religions.
Therefore, for the time being, it is better for me not to talk about religion with my family.
Overall a wise move. Your house seems conservative. I would encourage you to keep exploring and consider a public stance only when you have become independent, if that is you still feel the same way till that point. Meanwhile you may think of looking at this community.
Central Council of Ex-Muslims - Wikipedia

Let me come straightly to the point. I do believe in God, but I do not believe that any religion (which I've got to know till now) is right. I read the Qu'ran and the Bible. However, some simple-minded thoughts already confuse me.

A reasonable situation.

The reason, why I do not believe in any religion is that the religions, which I've come to know so far, always disadvantage other religions and people.
This requires a fuller discussion. How far are the ideas in the religion responsible for such actions and how far are people doing it for their own interest and seeking to justify their actions? This you will have to find out for yourself. I think its a mixture of both, and you need to look at various ideas in different religions and see how much.

Furthermore, I don't know how the God of a certain religion should be able to judge people, who don't show any kind of interest into religion. I have a lot of friends who simply live life by what their parents taught them. Basically, most of the people who are born into a religion, will keep their religion without questioning whether it's right, or not. Billions of people are out there, without even knowing what's writting inside the most important book of their religion. They don't even know what some feasts are for. I asked some people in real life, but they couldn't give me a proper answer and their lack in knowledge also made me fear that they just life live without questioning anything. I always got told "just read the Qu'ran!" But it's quite sad to hear this phrase, because I did read it and I am still disappointed by some points that are written inside. That's the biggest problem I have to believe in a religion.
This is sadly the case for all Abrahamic religions (Christianity and Islam). Many other religions do not have the idea of God judging them for their unbelief. This is not to say they do not have their own problems. But you should be careful in generalizing to all religions based on your experience of Islam.

There are numerous other questions which I have considering Islam and Christianity and so on, but it's useless, if people don't know how they justify (what i wrote above) for themselves, to go deeper into religious questions.
Perhaps your focus on Islam and Christianity is the problem? You will find many people with many beliefs other than these in this forum. Stick around.

Please don't critisize me for what I wrote and what I think. I think of myself as a young boy, who still has to learn a lot of things about this world.

Sincerely.
Pleasure.

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
First, welcome to the forum.

I used to have a problem using the word God ! I'm fine now because I translate the religious into my way of interpreting things, plus I take what resonates with me from whatever religion I'm checking out.

There is an Intelligence far beyond what any of us could comprehend, and we are a part of that Intelligence(although you wouldn't say so looking at how things are).

Religion can cause problems, as can anything, the problem lies with how corrupt Man has made religion. My dad once said that the best Christians never step foot inside a church. I think he was right !

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I applaud you for not finding a set of Dogmas, embracing them, and judging those who don't embrace those Dogmas. You believe in God but are aware that it is difficult to come to all the correct Dogmas.

Continue praying for God to speak to your heart. Don't place too much confidence in human mentors. Write your prayers down and recite them out loud. Know that God hears you!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think you case is quite common for people living in the modern world. I think traditional religions served people fairly well in the time before higher education and exposure to the world was commonplace. Today, I think we need a more intellectually satisfying understanding than our great grandparents required. I would suggest looking into more liberal and universalist spiritual thinking there Mr. Thinking. I have personally found eastern religious traditions quite satisfying and in their more sophisticated forms are far beyond the Abrahamic (Christian, Muslim) religious traditions. But it takes some time to really understand them.

Best Wishes.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,

I am new here.

Already mentioned it in your introduction thread, but welcome to RF. Given your current situation and background, I am really hopeful that this can be a good place for you. We have all sorts of people here, with all sorts of ideas.
One quick piece of advice from me, though...given that you appear open minded, and interested in discussion, your ideas aren't 'wrong' in any way. You've put yourself on a learning journey, which is something many here would respect greatly. A lot of people NEVER reach that point in their lives.

Regardless of where that takes you (even if it's to reconfirm your Muslim faith) the fact that you are thinking, discussing and listening is to be commended. Try not to ever lose that.

Makes sense.

You might not be able to answer them too, so it's rather a question of justification.

The reason, why I do not believe in any religion is that the religions, which I've come to know so far, always disadvantage other religions and people. Furthermore, I don't know how the God of a certain religion should be able to judge people, who don't show any kind of interest into religion. I have a lot of friends who simply live life by what their parents taught them. Basically, most of the people who are born into a religion, will keep their religion without questioning whether it's right, or not. Billions of people are out there, without even knowing what's been written inside the most important book of their religion. They don't even know what some feasts are for. I asked some people in real life, but they couldn't give me a proper answer and their lack in knowledge also made me fear that they just life live without questioning anything. I always got told "just read the Qu'ran!" But it's quite sad to hear this phrase, because I did read it and I am still disappointed by some points that are written inside. That's the biggest problem I have to believe in a religion.

I'm an atheist, so far be it from me to defend religion. Particularly monotheisms that commonly misjudge me and my kind. However, it's worth realising that just because a person, or even people around you are ignorant about their own religion, it doesn't follow that the religion itself is false or flawed neccessarily.
There are some good and knowledgeable people here, so it's worth revisiting your questions about Christianity and Islam with them, and see if they can add anything to your body of knowledge.

This makes sense to me. Hopefully you can get some deeper insights here.

Well...you might get criticism of your ideas here. I would hope and expect no-one would criticize YOU though. And trust me on this, we ALL have a lot to learn about this world.

;)

agorman

Premium Member
If you believe in God just go directly to God. If people criticize you or attack you, then ask for help and protection to God. If you feel lost and you need guidance, ask it to Him. He will guide you to the right people, the right books, etc. Always ask for the truth; make clear you don't care about religions but for the truth. The truth may be strange and hard to understand, but it's worth it.

I don't really believe in a Universal God but in advanced spirits that attend you when you call "God"; but those are just my beliefs, based on my experience. What I'm sure is that if you ask help to "God" and better, if you repeat your prayer 3 times, you will be listened at. Repeating it 3 times is a sign that you're making a communication attempt and not just joking or talking.

Glück auf! (Oh my German is SO rusty! XD )

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If you believe in God just go directly to God. If people criticize you or attack you, then ask for help and protection to God. If you feel lost and you need guidance, ask it to Him. He will guide you to the right people, the right books, etc. Always ask for the truth; make clear you don't care about religions but for the truth. The truth may be strange and hard to understand, but it's worth it.

I don't really believe in a Universal God but in advanced spirits that attend you when you call "God"; but those are just my beliefs, based on my experience. What I'm sure is that if you ask help to "God" and better, if you repeat your prayer 3 times, you will be listened at. Repeating it 3 times is a sign that you're making a communication attempt and not just joking or talking.

Glück auf! (Oh my German is SO rusty! XD )

This doesn't work so well if you're a deist, and believe in a non-interventionist God.

agorman

Premium Member
This doesn't work so well if you're a deist, and believe in a non-interventionist God.

Well the answer is not believing but experimenting. Trying one thing and the other; prayers, rituals, mantras, etc. That's the only way to get at some truth. The rest is just theories without any utility more than maybe giving you some peace of mind.

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, welcome to RF!

While I consider myself affiliated with Hinduism, I also am in a similar situation to yourself, in that I have faith in God but am not excessively keen on any dogmatic religion. I think the experience of God is dynamic and personal.

It's really admirable that you're opening up to this and exploring, searching for truth. I hope you find everything you're looking for.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Well the answer is not believing but experimenting. Trying one thing and the other; prayers, rituals, mantras, etc. That's the only way to get at some truth. The rest is just theories without any utility more than maybe giving you some peace of mind.

Hmm...if I were to quibble, it would only be in a minor sense...
1) Some religious ceremonies are dangerous or harmful.
2) It's not possible to try everything.

But your basic point makes sense. Like I say, just quibbles.

siti

Hello Thinking

Well I think your user name says it all...keep on thinking - for yourself - too many people are far too happy to delegate that responsibility to others. I wish I'd got to your stage by 18 - it took me a couple of decades longer than you! I don't think you should worry too much about criticism - I positively welcome critical comments on my ideas these days - it helps me to refine my thinking and weed out the possibly believable from the absolutely ridiculous - (if I can't defend an idea against criticism should I still believe it? Or do I need to do some more research?) - one just has to learn not to take it personally.

All the best my friend - and if you find that deism is a good fit for you, I'm sure we'll meet again in online deist circles here and elsewhere.

rusra02

Premium Member
I am glad you believe in God. Many people have lost all faith in God, many because of what they see religions and religious people do that causes pain and harm, even death to others. I believe The true God created us and sustains our life. The wonders of nature and the good things we enjoy convince me our Creator cares about us. It just makes sense to me that such a thoughtful Creator would want us to know about him and his purposes. He would explain why we are suffering and what his purpose is for us. He would teach us how to live to avoid causing harm to ourselves and others. I am convinced the Bible is the book that reveals the truth about God. Unfortunately, many religions that claim to teach the Bible instead teach the ideas of men. That is why there are so many different religions. But I believe what the Bible says about this: "Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth." (John 4:23,24)

arthra

Baha'i
The reason, why I do not believe in any religion is that the religions, which I've come to know so far, always disadvantage other religions and people. Furthermore, I don't know how the God of a certain religion should be able to judge people, who don't show any kind of interest into religion. I have a lot of friends who simply live life by what their parents taught them. Basically, most of the people who are born into a religion, will keep their religion without questioning whether it's right, or not.

Welcome to the Forum "Thinking"...

You wrote above :

"The reason, why I do not believe in any religion is that the religions, which I've come to know so far, always disadvantage other religions and people."

I don't know how many religions you're familiar with..but I would say Baha'i Faith doesn't trash other religions or "disadvantage" people. WE as Baha'is are generally active in inter-faith activities from the local to the international levels. Baha'is in Germany have been active there over a hundred years.. See the article:

In Germany, Baha'is celebrate 100 years of crisis and achievement | One Country

I also feel in response to the last part of your statement:

"Basically, most of the people who are born into a religion, will keep their religion without questioning whether it's right, or not."

I would say in my experience that this is becoming less common .. in other words more people today are seeking outside the rel;igion they were born into... Modern societies are becoming more multi cultural than when our great grandparents lived!