• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing and Knowing. They are different!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are correct, the two are different and one does not follow the other.

I, however, believe that God exists, and, I know I am right. I have direct experience for this claim.
I also believe that God exists and I have direct experience for it, but I do not believe my opinion of God is all right.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If belief works why must it be the belief in something real?

It doesn't have to be. A lot of people say something/their belief is real because of their research, experiences, and so forth and don't mind drawing the conclusion based on their on their real experiences and interpretations and the belief itself. It's really trusting what you believe and experience is right or true.

If you can live well without knowing what you believe is true via faith, then everything is fine. It does confuse me but then not everyone walks in your shoes.

Akivah

For me, belief and knowing are the same thing. When I didn't believe in G-d, I also didn't know Him. When I knew G-d, I also believed in Him.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, and that means you're an agnostic, which any reasonable person should be regardless of their beliefs.
I am not an agnostic because I think like I trust God and I live most of the time like I trust God.

I have heard that even when someone thinks he believes in God but he acts contrary to the loving, wise, and knowledgeable God, he is an atheist.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I am observing atheists behaving like they believe god and God believers as though they don't.
The things I don't want to do, I find myself doing it...
The thinks I want to do, I find myself not doing it...
What is my answer to this dichotomy of positions?
Jesus! :D

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Well, yes. Belief is different than knowledge. Knowledge is reserved for the Gnostics, whereas the lack thereof is agnostic. Belief on the other hand makes theists different from atheists.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
belief leads one to test the belief. knowing is a tiny world in an infinite existence, and is subject to modification, and change. so what can be known but what we devise to navigate reality. what we sense is real and some scientists will try to talk people into accepting all is an illusion. meanwhile love, and hate, joy and suffering stir in the soul, and who recognizes that as knowledge of something very very real.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe in God. I do not know that I am right.
Believing and 'knowing'lol aren't different, inherently. They are descriptive of a persons assertation as to a fact.
Some people "know" that pink unicorns roam mars, other people say that you can't really know anything.
These are subjective usage, nothing to do with how you personally determine the truth of the idea.

|subjective truths

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Belief doesn't mean 'not know'.

It's a word that can mean know, not know, or any variation of those ideas.

Without further specification , when the word belief is used, you only know the persons personal truth.

whirlingmerc

I believe in God. I do not know that I am right.

If you mean saving faith and knowledge they are different
The demons believe and tremble.... they have lots of facts they know to be true but hate and oppose them

Likewise depends what you mean by knowing.... Eternal life is knowing God according to John 17:3 but that is more than having facts, it's like a husband and wife knowing each other deeply and loving each other in relationship.... so I assume you don't mean that... I assume you mean merely having data and believing the data to be true and that falls short of saving faith