• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing and Knowing. They are different!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sarcasm? Please be direct and to the point.
It wasn't meant as sarcasm. It is my opinion that people who smoke are not clear thinkers. It is my opinion that you are not thinking clearly.

If your criteria is based on jesus christ, why would he not be the one who has changed you?
My belief in God is by Jesus Christ. I don't even know if HE was real.

You said either god exists or he does not. Since you are a theist, you believe he does. Then you say you don't know he exists and that he trust that he has changed you but you don't trust god changed you.

Why believe in jesus and god if you (edit: don't) believe and trust god or jesus changed you?
There is a difference between my belief in God changing me and God actually doing it. That I know.

The holy spirit comes from christ, right? The form of a dove and what rose the apostles in the pentecost? (aka spirit of jesus?)

When you know god exists, your belief in him disappears and you have faith-the trust in things that you cannot see but you know it exists anyway.

It is based on trust that what you believe is true/fact/knowledge. If you take away knowledge, you have what they call blind faith or doubt. Nothing wrong with either. Just the whole bible says god does exists and to know he does is a huge act of faith. If you don't know god exists, then the act of faith is missing because you can't put trust in something you don't know exists. That's why it's a belief not faith and definitely not knowledge.
To trust a belief I have is to trust in myself. To worship God means to trust God solely. In my opinion. If I knew God existed I would be worshipping an image of my choosing. According to my belief in the gospel of Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter to me if God exists or not. The outcome will be the same with exercising faith.

I'm just sharing my observation by this conversation. Please don't take it personal.
Fair enough. I apologize. Please accept my apology.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmm. But Moses knew god exist and so did the other prophets. The apostles knew and so did jesus.
Do you have proof of this?

The gentiles finally knew when the holy spirit (the spirit of christ) came to them so they live in christ.
Knew what? They knew that the spirit by Christ was real. I know that too.

The only time you'd be putting yourself up high is when you claim knowledge of what is not in the bible. Since you believe in the bible, why would you not know what you read is true?
Oh! Good question. LOL I don't think everything in the bible is the truth.

Think of it as if god came to you today and said to you, "why do you keep saying you don't know I exist? I am right here. I've always been right here. Don't you know I changed you through my son jesus christ...."
God does not exist for many people. Do you wish to explain that?

Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” 9Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, carrying out His work... ~John 14:9
Obviously that text is about the people who actually saw him. Or not....I don't know!​

If you seen christ, you seen the father. So, if you believe in christ, why would you say you don't know god exists when christ is saying he does?

Why say you believe in christ and jehovah but then say you don't trust they changed you?
I do not know what they do! I don't know what you do. I don't know what anybody does except I know what I do. I will compromise saying that my belief changed me. People think that belief has to be real. Why?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think you are asking me what I think the reason for the change is. Is that right? What choices are there to explain why I am what I am?

I suspect there are many people who believe that I am me because of Satan. Are you with them?

That is one to choose. I don't believe that. Of course. LOL
:D
The other choice would be just because. That might be it.
Yes, I suppose that could be. Of course, then one would have to ask "why didn't I do it before?" and "could I have done it before?"

I think I am because I searched for a reason for Jesus. But that is intellectual. That would be another choice.
Could be intellectual. Could it have spiritual implications?

In other words, intellectual worry has physical implications (ulcers)... could intellectual have spiritual implications?

I think I made an intellectual decision for Jesus but, like you, it created a whole new change. Could it be coincidental that it happened to us with the same results? Or could it be that the spiritual results starts with an intellectual decision?

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, I suppose that could be. Of course, then one would have to ask "why didn't I do it before?" and "could I have done it before?"
Change comes from experience and the will to do it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not sure... I have changed some things without experience.
I understand what you are saying and I agree with that.
I mean life experience. Something that you experienced caused you to want to believe. I think that is the main difference why some people believe and some people do not.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I haven't said that God is not real. I am saying that I do not know. I hope so! But, to look at the world is to view no god.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hmm.
Oh! Good question. LOL I don't think everything in the bible is the truth.

This is probably why other christians and yourself have differing opinions. Most people who believe in christ and god believe the truth of scriptures. If this is not your foundation for truth, then when you say christ is your foundation, I have nothing else to go off of but my own experiences in The Church or scripture.

It wasn't meant as sarcasm. It is my opinion that people who smoke are not clear thinkers. It is my opinion that you are not thinking clearly.

I take medications and have neurological conditions. That aside, though, I came to christianity or christ and god from a different perspective. If I still practiced, I'd be all Catholic. Catholics have a more experiential view of christ rather than biblical. So, that's why this is hard for me to understand. I don't know your experience and you dont think everything in the bible is true, then I don't know what else to go off of. That's why I don't understand.

My belief in God is by Jesus Christ. I don't even know if HE was real.

I honestly don't understand that. One reason why is The Church is the physical proof that the body of christ thus christ exists. When Catholics join in communion and experience the sacrifice and resurrection of Christ in the Eucharist and communion of like believers, it's hard to deny that Christ is real. I'd assume this for most denominations and most christians in general.

Everyone grows at different paces though. If you're comfortable with belief, who am I to say you need knowledge. Just to me it doesn't make sense to believe if you don't know. That isn't faith to me. Faith is trust in what you know is true without seeing it.

There is a difference between my belief in God changing me and God actually doing it. That I know.

I see them interrelated.

To trust a belief I have is to trust in myself. To worship God means to trust God solely. In my opinion. If I knew God existed I would be worshipping an image of my choosing. According to my belief in the gospel of Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter to me if God exists or not. The outcome will be the same with exercising faith.

That's pretty much the answer to the whole thread. Everyone follows christ and god differently or interprets it differently, I'll say.

In my opinion, most christians would put it like this (this is what I'm familar with):

To trust a belief I have to trust in god. To worship god means to trust god solely. In god's opinion, if I knew god existed I would be worshiping the image of god's choosing. According to the gospels of jesus christ, it would matter that god exists. The outcome would be different if god I didn't trust in god and god being my foundation as a motivation and means to exercise faith.

So far, I'm learning how people interpret christ from different ways. I would never say you don't believe in christ though.

Fair enough. I apologize. Please accept my apology.

You're good.

Do you have proof of this?

It would be proof if you believed the truth of the bible. If it's in the bible, to christians, it's true. The Moses account isn't written as a story but a literal account of Moses interactions with god. I can only quote and tell you my interpretation based on face value and my experiences as a Catholic.

Knew what? They knew that the spirit by Christ was real. I know that too.

Yes. They experienced it and heard it from christ himself. So from that, they claim knowledge not belief. Totally different perspective.

God does not exist for many people. Do you wish to explain that?

I can't find which quote this refers to. I'll look it up.

In my opinion, belief in god is subjective. People's knowledge is based on their personal experiences and interpretations of the world around them. So, my view that god does not exist to me is universal but to a christian it is false. Everyone is different and we come to our religions or morals different ways. Some with god. Some without god.

It's because we have a diversity of people. I can't remember what I said....

Obviously that text is about the people who actually saw him. Or not....I don't know!

Since you don't know if the bible is true, of course you would not know. It makes sense now.

I do not know what they do! I don't know what you do. I don't know what anybody does except I know what I do. I will compromise saying that my belief changed me. People think that belief has to be real. Why?

To me it's just naturally goes together. For example:

1. I experience suffering from my medical conditions.
2. I read the Dhamma and it talks about suffering and the nature of it
3. I believe in the Dhamma because it describes suffering in a way I can relate
4. I meditate and reflect and apply the Dhamma to my life
5. The application of the Dhamma changed my intellectual understanding and blind belief to that of fact
6. This fact changed my life and continues to do so

Once I have this fact it is considered knowledge. Something I know that is true not what I believe but have no idea why. I know why and how. That's why I follow it. I don't follow because I believe in the Dhamma. If that's the case, I'd still be christian. I believe in the Dhamma because I know it's true.

Belief in to me is trust another word for faith.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To teach 'God is real' is to teach that a person should believe!
To be a person who believes in God is to show others that belief is possible.
I actually do know that God is one, there is no other. One God over all is related to the expression, "no man is an island". We all have the same land under and the same sky above. That means
ONE GOD.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is probably why other christians and yourself have differing opinions. Most people who believe in christ and god believe the truth of scriptures. If this is not your foundation for truth, then when you say christ is your foundation, I have nothing else to go off of but my own experiences in The Church or scripture.
Scripture is not a foundation. It is a helper. And it is for use. If it is as you say the same as God and Christ, then people are using God and Christ. That would mean that God and Christ are not holy. At least I know and respect that God is HOLY.

I take medications and have neurological conditions. That aside, though, I came to christianity or christ and god from a different perspective. If I still practiced, I'd be all Catholic. Catholics have a more experiential view of christ rather than biblical. So, that's why this is hard for me to understand. I don't know your experience and you dont think everything in the bible is true, then I don't know what else to go off of. That's why I don't understand.
I don't equate Jesus and Christ. Jesus is the son of God. Christ is the power of God.

I honestly don't understand that. One reason why is The Church is the physical proof that the body of christ thus christ exists. When Catholics join in communion and experience the sacrifice and resurrection of Christ in the Eucharist and communion of like believers, it's hard to deny that Christ is real. I'd assume this for most denominations and most christians in general.
I know Christ exists and so is real.

Everyone grows at different paces though. If you're comfortable with belief, who am I to say you need knowledge. Just to me it doesn't make sense to believe if you don't know. That isn't faith to me. Faith is trust in what you know is true without seeing it.
I agree that faith is trust but I can trust something that I do not know. When two people marry they do not know that their marriage will be a happy union, but they trust that it will be.

I can't find which quote this refers to. I'll look it up.
It's not a quote. It is an observation.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I understand what you are saying and I agree with that.
I mean life experience. Something that you experienced caused you to want to believe. I think that is the main difference why some people believe and some people do not.
OK

For me, intellectually it went like this:

1. I do believe that Jesus died on the cross for me
  2. My life is going from bad to worse with me in control, I could try something different
  3. It certainly can't hurt me
  4. Either the Bible is true or its false... I'll just test the sucker and I'll find out soon enough.
and my wife and I received Jesus as Lord.

The next morning our marriage was completely turned around (it was heading south)

I'm still testing "the sucker" and it is still working just fine.

I received the dunamis of God and, quite frankly, it was all I needed to know.

But that is my experience.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK

For me, intellectually it went like this:

1. I do believe that Jesus died on the cross for me
  2. My life is going from bad to worse with me in control, I could try something different
  3. It certainly can't hurt me
  4. Either the Bible is true or its false... I'll just test the sucker and I'll find out soon enough.
and my wife and I received Jesus as Lord.

The next morning our marriage was completely turned around (it was heading south)

I'm still testing "the sucker" and it is still working just fine.

I received the dunamis of God and, quite frankly, it was all I needed to know.

But that is my experience.
Time along with the belief in the love and the help of Christ is what might have saved you.
I trust that your experience is true and wonderful. Would it change anything for you to know that it was just YOU that brought it about? Just you, hope and love. The reason why I say so is we can share our faith, hope, and love, but we can not share the power of God with others.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Scripture is not a foundation. It is a helper. And it is for use.

If it is as you say the same as God and Christ, then people are using God and Christ. That would mean that God and Christ are not holy. At least I know and respect that God is HOLY.

The bible is the foundation of knowledge of god
Jesus Christ is the foundation of the body of christ (the people)
Scripture tells you about christ
The Word (God's oral dictations incarnated as christ) teaches you about god

The bible tells you who to turn to to learn about god
The Word (christ) tells you how to go through him to get to the father

The bible is like a map and christ the guide. In The Church, we went by the guide. Some go by the map and let the holy spirit direct them. Others skip the map and let the guide take them. In both cases, they are going to the same direction. The lost still depends on the spirit of christ. One needs a map the other does not.

I don't equate Jesus and Christ. Jesus is the son of God. Christ is the power of God.

I don't understand. All names have their meanings. Abram to Abraham is Jesus to Christ. Jesus christ: Jesus anointed by the power of god.

I know Christ exists and so is real.

Okay... now you confused me. You said you don't know god exists and you don't know christ (the person) exists. But you know the power of god exists.

How do you know christ exists if you don't know that his father does nor his son?

I agree that faith is trust but I can trust something that I do not know. When two people marry they do not know that their marriage will be a happy union, but they trust that it will be.

I would apply this to knowledge of christ. You can have belief in the power of god but not knowledge this power exist....

right?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not know why people assume that if someone doesn't believe all the Bible is the truth then none of it can be true for them. That is just plain crazy imo.

I know love is real.
I know faith is real.
I know hope is real.
I know intelligence is real.
I know some of the Bible is so true it is scary!
"Jesus" is the man of the story in the Greek scriptures.
Christ is the anointing ie the putting above all else, justice and peace for life.

A person can love without belief in God and/or Jesus.
A person can be true without belief in God and/or Jesus.
A person can exercise justice without belief in God and/or Jesus.
A person can be for peace without belief in God and/or Jesus.

I think the man Jesus (whether real or not) stands for righteousness.
What difference is a society for righteousness whether
God and Jesus are real or not?

Will a planet be better off when righteousness reigns if God is real?

Tell me why, please.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I believe in God. I do not know that I am right.
The difference between belief and knowledge is behind how they are stated: both are stated as if something were true, but one of them includes the caveat that it is true.

I went to the store yesterday. This is fact.

A fact is believed, as indicated in that it is stated as if it were true.

It also happens to be true, so it gets to be knowledge.