• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing and Knowing. They are different!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know I am right to believe in Jehovah and Jesus Christ.
I know that I am changed
I know that my eyes were opened.
I know I am a better person for believing.

I don't know why.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To knowledge? No, I think it is the other way around. The knowledge leads to the belief.

If belief is faith, "believe in/trust in", I agree. I know The Dharma is true therefore I put trust in it/believe in it. The belief I think you're talking about is taking things at face value without evidence to prove it as facts. Nothing wrong with that.

I think you do understand. I can believe I am beautiful even if I am not. Right?

By whose or what criteria would you say you are not if you believed you are?

That is your opinion and not mine.

It's a question.

I didn't say that. I do not know the experiences I have had come from God. Even if I did, surely they aren't ALL of God.

It's a question.

Everyone comes to conclusions differently. I haven't met christians and god-believers, well in person, that they say they believe in god but don't know if their experiences com efrom god or all of them at that. Most say because I experienced X, I know god did it. I know this because the bible puts my experiences and source together; so, I know the bible is true because of it.

Confirmed bias.

I didn't say I haven't had a revelation.
[/QUOTE]

I said I don't know how one (anyone) can be a theist unless they have a revelation of some sort. It's an isolated opinion.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Are you asking me why I do not know the reason for the things I know to be true?
No...

Why don't you know you are now changed, now you see and are a better person etc.

Or is it a different application?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Carlita, post: 5377691, member: 55631"]If belief is faith, "believe in/trust in", I agree. I know The Dharma is true therefore I put trust in it/believe in it. The belief I think you're talking about is taking things at face value without evidence to prove it as facts. Nothing wrong with that.

By whose or what criteria would you say you are not if you believed you are?
My own.

It's a question.
OK. Then I think the answer is no, but I should go back to read it before answering. I feel like I don't have time for it.

It's a question.
OK (see above)

Everyone comes to conclusions differently. I haven't met christians and god-believers, well in person, that they say they believe in god but don't know if their experiences com efrom god or all of them at that. Most say because I experienced X, I know god did it. I know this because the bible puts my experiences and source together; so, I know the bible is true because of it.

Confirmed bias.
I agree with you about that.

I said I don't know how one (anyone) can be a theist unless they have a revelation of some sort. It's an isolated opinion.
I am a theist. Do you smoke reefer?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No...

Why don't you know you are now changed, now you see and are a better person etc.

Or is it a different application?
I do know that I am changed and a better person etc.
I am saying that I do not trust that God did it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To believe in God because you know that God exists eliminates faith and faith is a fruit of The Spirit and God is The Spirit. God is Spirit and those worshipping must do it in spirit and truth. John 4:24
John 3:8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK

What are your options?
I think you are asking me what I think the reason for the change is. Is that right? What choices are there to explain why I am what I am?

I suspect there are many people who believe that I am me because of Satan. Are you with them?

That is one to choose. I don't believe that. Of course. LOL
The other choice would be just because. That might be it.
I think I am because I searched for a reason for Jesus. But that is intellectual. That would be another choice.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe in the power of prayer. For prayer to be powerful outside a person, there has to be spirit for it to get from one person to another. I know The Spirit is real. How? It is bothering me.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Turning your believing into knowing puts you on high with The Almighty.
Do I have to tell you that it isn't the humble way?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I combined your conversation with Ken since its seems to be interrelated to what I'm saying.
know I am right to believe in Jehovah and Jesus Christ.
I know that I am changed
I know that my eyes were opened.
I know I am a better person for believing.

I don't know why.

I am saying no, I don't know that.

Jesus Christ

I don't understand these replies. You are a theist so you believe in god and jesus christ. Your life has been changed because you believe in god and jesus christ.

First you don't know why, then you say it's based on your own criteria, then you say your belief is based on jesus christ.

If belief is based on knowledge (one needs knowledge to come to the belief, I think you said) then you must know some god exist in order for you to believe in him and christ, right?

Wouldn't your beliefs be confirmed to knowledge based on the facts that you have changed because of your belief in god and christ?

If your life had not changed, I'd ask why would you believe in something you don't know exists. Since your life has changed, I understand why you believe in god and christ but then to say you still don't know god exists makes me wonder if you really believed your life has changed or is this experienced based on a different criteria (like your own?) rather than jehovah and christ?

I am a theist. Do you smoke reefer?

Sarcasm? Please be direct and to the point.

I do know that I am changed and a better person etc. I am saying that I do not trust that God did

If your criteria is based on jesus christ, why would he not be the one who has changed you?

You said either god exists or he does not. Since you are a theist, you believe he does. Then you say you don't know he exists and that he trust that he has changed you but you don't trust god changed you.

Why believe in jesus and god if you (edit: don't) believe and trust god or jesus changed you?

John 3:8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit

The holy spirit comes from christ, right? The form of a dove and what rose the apostles in the pentecost? (aka spirit of jesus?)

To believe in God because you know that God exists eliminates faith and faith is a fruit of The Spirit and God is The Spirit. God is Spirit and those worshipping must do it in spirit and truth. John 4:24

When you know god exists, your belief in him disappears and you have faith-the trust in things that you cannot see but you know it exists anyway.

It is based on trust that what you believe is true/fact/knowledge. If you take away knowledge, you have what they call blind faith or doubt. Nothing wrong with either. Just the whole bible says god does exists and to know he does is a huge act of faith. If you don't know god exists, then the act of faith is missing because you can't put trust in something you don't know exists. That's why it's a belief not faith and definitely not knowledge.

I'm just sharing my observation by this conversation. Please don't take it personal.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Turning your believing into knowing puts you on high with The Almighty.
Do I have to tell you that it isn't the humble way?

Hmm. But Moses knew god exist and so did the other prophets. The apostles knew and so did jesus. The gentiles finally knew when the holy spirit (the spirit of christ) came to them so they live in christ.

The only time you'd be putting yourself up high is when you claim knowledge of what is not in the bible. Since you believe in the bible, why would you not know what you read is true?

Think of it as if god came to you today and said to you, "why do you keep saying you don't know I exist? I am right here. I've always been right here. Don't you know I changed you through my son jesus christ...."

Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” 9Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, carrying out His work... ~John 14:9​

If you seen christ, you seen the father. So, if you believe in christ, why would you say you don't know god exists when christ is saying he does?

Why say you believe in christ and jehovah but then say you don't trust they changed you?

This is cliff notes to my longer post