• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believers in Reincarnation, I choose you!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
-throws pokemon ball-

Been thinking about reincarnation a lot lately. I'm not fully convinced, at least not yet. I just hope to get some insight from believers in it. Answer each question with personal opinion

1) Is inter-species reincarnation possible? Do you think a soul can be reborn in a different species?

2) How long after death does it take before someone is reborn? Instantaneously?

3) Do souls choose their own incarnations?

4) Are new souls being made now or are all of the souls already created and reused?

5) How much of this individual will relate to his or her previous lives? Like, is the personality going to be the same? Or an entirely new personality is created and only the consciousness is passed on?

This last question isn't exactly personal: In reincarnation, if you can't clearly remember your past lives, and you can't notice reincarnation, what exactly is being continued if not the memories? Wouldn't you agree that our souls are constructed by memories?

So why do we have no memories of past lives? Often people say that reincarnation is so the soul can experience as much as possible. But if these memories are erased each time we move to another body, and start from square one, how can it count as experience?

Are reincarnation and 'nothingness' compatible? (in terms of consciousness, discard soul)

If you are born again, and have no memories of it, then reincarnation can go by as quiet as oblivion. Because in both states, you are unaware that you died.

If we're treating consciousness as brain activity, death would certainly be this 'oblivion', and the consciousness can't attach itself to another body because, in this example given, we consider it biological and after the power shuts off this meat robot the files, memories, information, etc. would be gone forever as well.

But then again, what exactly does that have to do with anything? Because, in theory, my brain activity 5 minutes ago is now forever gone. Translate: My consciousness 5 minutes ago is now forever gone.

The point I'm trying to make here is: It's simply not possible for someone to experience oblivion. It amazes me how every day I keep bringing this up, but I like to think about it. I am sometimes excited to die, I really want to "experience" nonexistence. Like I just said, that's impossible.

Let's say I died. My consciousness (the illusory one extending through my entire life as a compilation of consciousnesses) is now gone. Nothing is experienced. It's just... just. Not even black, and I am very eager to see what it's like.

The problem we run into though is that I can't see what it's like. If I died, I wouldn't realize it. I'm not experiencing some sort of black void, I'm not experiencing anything.

But while my (extended) consciousness is no more, Harry Richard's consciousness is still in existence. His mind full of memories, thoughts, personality, interest, etc. is being experienced by him.

So in a way, now that I am out of the way, I am not experiencing nonexistence. Instead, because his mind still exists, the lack of me becomes him.

I really hope that made sense.

तत्त्वप्रह्व

स्वभावस्थं निरावेशम्
At the outset, karma and reincarnation are inextricably connected.
I am using the word soul to mean ātman more specifically jīvātman.
1) Is inter-species reincarnation possible? Do you think a soul can be reborn in a different species?
Yes.
Not necessarily. The timeline varies. For the sake of an example: one may experience many days within a dream, while actually having slept for few hours. Similarly, while it is possible that the next body is imminent, it is not necessarily so, the deciding factor being karma.
Those that do are considered Avatars. But otherwise driven by karma - but karma in itself is insentient, which leads to the inference of a consciousness that transcends it and is able to adjudicate without prejudice a.k.a God.
4) Are new souls being made now or are all of the souls already created and reused?
Souls can never be "made" they are infinite and exist eternally at various level of consciousness. Every creation ensues with innumerable souls - not only simple organisms, plants, and animals, but the entire space contains souls; there is a match between states of consciousness and respective body - self-expression being an indicator of this, lowest in simple organisms, and increasing thro' plants, animals, and humans.
5) How much of this individual will relate to his or her previous lives? Like, is the personality going to be the same? Or an entirely new personality is created and only the consciousness is passed on?
The consciousness encompasses memories of infinite lifetimes. However, the apparent limitation is actually imposed by the physical body it comes to associate with. Memories are not stored 'in' the brain, that is just a physical conduit which would function more like a cache-memory. One's nature is moulded and comprised of many layers - some innate, some acquired and nurtured, some inflicted thro' external factors. Experiences of lifetimes too have similar effects, innate nature though is unique - which results in the diversity we see. Perhaps the only overarching homogeneity is at best resemblances - for example the homogenous category of human would include man and woman. Now the body of a human is as material as any other, and even between men and women the materials comprising the body is but homogenous in respective types, the locus of difference should therefore lie not in the physical body, because just like say oxygen, silicon is neither male nor female, there ought to be a basis for this. Similarly, it can't be memories, or intellect because these are subject to influence and therefore lead to infinite regress. An innate personality, therefore, exits that carries with it impositions arising out of various experiences.
Are reincarnation and 'nothingness' compatible? (in terms of consciousness, discard soul)
If you are born again, and have no memories of it, then reincarnation can go by as quiet as oblivion. Because in both states, you are unaware that you died.
If we're treating consciousness as brain activity, death would certainly be this 'oblivion', and the consciousness can't attach itself to another body because, in this example given, we consider it biological and after the power shuts off this meat robot the files, memories, information, etc. would be gone forever as well.
In addition to the physiological limitation, the extent of consciousness also matters. Consider a music prodigy kid of say 5 years old, in whose ancestral lineage there never has been anyone interested in music, who can play an instrument extremely well without much training. Examples of such abound. The moment one conceives nothingness, it stops being that. The idea of nothingness precludes the possibility of even consciousness.
The problem we run into though is that I can't see what it's like. If I died, I wouldn't realize it. I'm not experiencing some sort of black void, I'm not experiencing anything.
Death is the separation of the subtle from the gross - the extrication can be traumatic for many mainly because of attachment. We are unconsciously so attached to the body that the sheer mental agony can perhaps kill many times over, but thankfully even the subtle body is subject to forgetfulness. Meditation can quickly create awareness of the subtle body (so does hypnotherapy i've heard) resulting in relapse of many old habits and memories.

श्रीकृष्णार्पणमस्तु ।

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Oy very, Sum O' Awe, you don't want much do you, LOL. Keep in mind that I do not follow any brand of reincarnation that you will find in any of the world's religions. One major difference (and it is pretty major) is that my view of reincarnation sees the process in a non-linear way. It's more like hop-scotch than it is a process of slowly plodding along to a final goal. Likewise, in my twisted view, there is simply no "end point" as all incarnations are lived simultaneously, each in their own present, connected through the psychological gestalt of their larger identity.
In those terms, yes, but it is a conditional yes. I hate the term, the soul, simply because of all the religious baggage the term has accrued over the ages. In my deranged view, the larger identity, how to say, makes a facsimile of itself that can be contained within the host form. The personality of the larger identity may or may not translate into the new form, depending on the form chosen and the reasons for doing so. Once imbued, the newly minted identity is autonomous and will literally flesh out its own peculiar behavioral and identity traits that may be quite alien to that of the larger identity. It's sort of the point of the whole exercise.

It's up to the individual if they wish to continue. Most do and for them there are a range of options. Normally, there is a period of reflection, like making a shopping list before going to the local mall. The downside of this is that due to the uncertain nature of probabilities, to stretch the analogy, one could find themselves at the mall while forgetting their shopping list at home.
Yes....
It's not like a car. I don't know, off hand, how else to answer this one.
In general, "remembering" different lives is a bit of misnomer, as all these incarnations exist in their own now, right now. Sometimes, due to an array of reasons, individuals may become aware of alternate aspects of their being. Aspects, like themselves. The truly odd part is that, for the most part, when you become aware of them, they, in turn, become aware of you. The dreamscape is the usual place for these interactions, while Lucid dreams can take this type of encounter to a whole new level (pun intended). I believe I've already touched on the final question.

This last question isn't exactly personal: In reincarnation, if you can't clearly remember your past lives, and you can't notice reincarnation, what exactly is being continued if not the memories? Wouldn't you agree that our souls are constructed by memories?
Ugh. Errr. Umm... o_O Think of it more as a psychological gestalt. How to put this?

Part of the point of incarnating is to explore aspects of being that are of interest to you. Due to the uncertain nature of probability, it is almost a big "What IF" process or mechanism. The outcome is never assured, but part of the fabric of your persona does go back to enrich and add yet another layer of spice, if you will, to the larger identity - which itself is always growing and becoming more. Welcome the multidimensional nature of personality.

So why do we have no memories of past lives? Often people say that reincarnation is so the soul can experience as much as possible. But if these memories are erased each time we move to another body, and start from square one, how can it count as experience?
Part of the problem in understanding this process is in thinking of it in linear terms. All incarnations are simultaneous. All are happening now, in their own time frame, following their own time-lines. My thinking is that no aspect of your experience is ever truly forgotten, though access to this area of memory is blocked off thereby allowing the individual to create a whole new experience. Think of it this way, in our day to day physical existence we are continually confronted with sensory data that is pretty overwhelming at times, but adding to this a host of information that is not germane to your personal existence would probably be very confusing. I could be wrong, but I think that the individual would have a harder time defining reality or what is real in their current experience if they were beset with endless unexpected incursions from other existences.

It depends how you mean it. If you mean it in the "Self is an illusion" sense and that some wooshy gooshy Ultimate Reality dawns and you no longer have identity, then no, that won't ever happen. You will always be you, though your perception of both identity and self will go through significant and perpetual changes.

I may get to the rest of this tomorrow...

Last edited:

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Not sure i can answer all your questions, particularly all the details of reincarnation,
though i have some past life memory .. apparently an old soul ... feel somewhat old
these days ... I can give some immediately after death information as i died from
massive head trauma in this life ... sadly for me the being who met me on the other
side sent me back (task to perform with no clues or instructions), what they call a nDE
nothing "near" about it in my case Drs still confounded how i can function with half me brain gone and yet i got back to independence 2 more degrees and work at a hospital.

So the death bit, you leave your body, perhaps a little surprised to see it on the hospital trolley, travel quickly through what seems a tunnel of dark boiling cloud, to arrive in a room that seems made of light and be greeted by a being i call the gatekeeper, others may identify him differently depending on belief ... 1st a life review ...
2nd meet friends relatives who may be awaiting you ... after which i was sent back ..

I believe you spend some time in that place, before any new circumstance is chosen by or for you with guidance, presumably to learn from new experiences in different circumstances (culture, society, position etc.)

Shalom ... Eliab

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
-throws pokemon ball-

Been thinking about reincarnation a lot lately. I'm not fully convinced, at least not yet. I just hope to get some insight from believers in it. Answer each question with personal opinion

not sure about it. It can be possible, but I doubt it

I think it depends on the soul of the recently departed. I believe we take a rest after completing a life cycle, the length of this rest, I think depends on how eventful the "previous" life was.
I'm not sure, I think one does have a choice about it, but fate has a bigger influence over it.

there are new ones created, old ones get reborn, and others end up in nirvana/heaven/asgard/whatever-heven-there-is

think your past lives do have an influence over your current life, but not a big influence.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
1. Occasionally, but it's rare. It happens because the soul is really confused between worlds and can't 'see' this side. I'm only speaking about humans. Animal souls are different, and I won't speculate the answer to that.
2. It varies. Older souls are usually longer, as they can 'shop' around so to speak.
3. Older souls can. Young ones can't. People who sense it start looking before they transition.
4. Constantly emanated, and received back.
5. Not that much ... in relative wisdom, yes, but not in personality.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

1.) I think it's possible, but I don't think it's really that desirable. I mean, unless one is a pampered house pet, the life of an animal in the wild is harsh and unkind. Then again, one could also say the same for humans too.

2.) I don't know. I think it depends on each individual soul.

3.) I think souls which are more aware have more "say" in what they wish to return as, but I don't believe the majority of souls can. Ego and what not.

4.) Both. As some souls are reach self-realization and return to the Source, others are born and start their journey.

5.) Hmm, perhaps in some characteristics (like perhaps the same interests), but I believe the personality will be unique for each birth.

Last edited:

Chakra

Premium Member
I think I would agree with Tattva-ji on many of the questions, although I would have a different explanation.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
5 : the personality ... i believe upon receiving the next life, you take your persona, or the essence of your being with you, how you react to the challenges of that life may modify
how you express that persona in that life ... however you are still that persona, learning
from the new life and circumstance ... hopefully to both pay Karmic debt and grow in
spiritual experience ...

Shalom

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Animals have group souls and humans have individual souls. But an advanced domestic animal through love and close association with humans can individualize off their group soul and have a human incarnation next.

After death the astral body can spend a long time on the astral plane with family, guides, teachers,

Pretty much yes, but it's for the learning experience most appropriate for them. They may reluctantly, but for their own good, take a difficult incarnation circumstance.
The universe contains an incredible amount of souls; only a sliver of a sliver are humans. Other souls follow other paths to liberation.

The soul (which is even above the astral plane) is what is constant from life to life. The soul influences the life and some similarities are seen and also spiritual improvement from life to life (the soul becomes an older soul through experiences).

Sees

Dragonslayer
Doesn't really address all the questions but...

I think inner knowledge/wisdom or intuition has some to do with past/other lives experiences.

I'm firm in my stance of being a reincarnation/rebirth believer without caring, worrying, pondering much over all the details.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
It's hard to grasp such a concept in modern ideology... Such thinking is considered 'delusional' thinking by professionals, psychologists - merely anyone. Spiritual endeavors should be left in yourself and on that level, for your sake just leave them inside - wait for a direct call to present spiritual self - a guaranteed call.

I guess I was in Egypt once, a slave and maybe a slave in Northern Europe by the "Vikings". Those are somewhat different lives, but I was Irish. I believe the Norse were the main slave traders and I ended up a Thrall twice. I was a spiritualist still. I ended up enslaved at least twice - or maybe they were the same life. I've had other traumatic lives, the "PTSD" introduced to me from Odin would cripple a mother ****er... How do you deal with that? What do you do? Brush it off, try not to think about it, it's your imagination.

Then you will remember not to speak in arrogance or "promoting" yourself... You'll do your best to dodge a dose of humility and reflect and your previous Stoic selves.

In my experience centuries may go by... I have no idea.

Based on my spiritual interpretations I had no choice, while somewhat respected it was at.... Odins... choice.

While I think most souls are reborn I have encountered those that I have considered new, young souls.

Little to none if I am right at all, everything I learned about my past experience was songly given to me by Odin.

I am not a Norseman.

It's hard to comprehend such an idea but that's what my mind left me.

o0uh4qu.png

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
When I die I will be reincarnated into 7 nonillion beings called atoms. I can also prove it as well! Yep yep

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
When I die I will be reincarnated into 7 nonillion beings called atoms. I can also prove it as well! Yep yep

Should sound easy by 7 billion atoms to choose from. Don't you feel special?

I mentioned in my experience -some feel new or 'younger' disruptive of age. It raises a whole argument of itself. Try not to be pompous, speak your wisest. You are as well subject to new ideologies. :)

Ehhm... You are a younger soul "Sha'irullah".... You are entitled to be flustered.. What are your ills?

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer

Hey brother, I think most of that is simply new-ish body parts.

I feel when you experience disembodied individuals, it changes the game forever.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
1. I don't personally think so, because in order to learn what we need to in order to be godly, we need a certain intellect and awareness of how to change our attitudes and behavior. To me, only a human can do that.

Not sure about the others, because I have recently just began believing in reincarnation. But I do think the purpose is to learn what we need to in order to be in the presence of God.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm firm in my stance of being a reincarnation/rebirth believer without caring, worrying, pondering much over all the details.

I think we are re-incarnated, re-born, re-cycled in some way. I don't believe that closing our eyes for the last time is the end of it. I think the how of it depends on what consciousness and the "soul" are. I like Stuart Hameroff's and Roger Penrose's take on it... quantum consciousness. If this is true, then we must be recycled in some way, just as the elements from an exploding start are recycled to form new stars and planets. Is this in any way linked to our behavior in each life or existence? I haven't got a clue. Do I believe Hameroff's and Penrose's theories are the only ones, or even the correct ones? Not necessarily.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Should sound easy by 7 billion atoms to choose from. Don't you feel special?

Antagonism for something needless. Mhm

I mentioned in my experience -some feel new or 'younger' disruptive of age. It raises a whole argument of itself. Try not to be pompous, speak your wisest. You are as well subject to new ideologies. :)

You are pompous and hypocritical. Mhm, noted.

Ehhm... You are a younger soul "Sha'irullah".... You are entitled to be flustered.. What are your ills?
Trying to assert that I am unknowledgeable. Mhm.

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

. . . aaaaaaaand on to my ignore list you go! Jeesh I am like a Nazi! I need a meme for this now!
Bye bye foolish guy *waves*

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Little to none if I am right at all, everything I learned about my past experience was songly given to me by Odin.

I am not a Norseman.

It's hard to comprehend such an idea but that's what my mind left me.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why we are drawn to certain cultures or religions, whether academically or spiritually if not for some past life experience. I have no answers though, only the feelings I go with.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Hey brother, I think most of that is simply new-ish body parts.

I feel when you experience disembodied individuals, it changes the game forever.

Oh mighty Frigga! Churn the winds for me :D.

what do you mean when you say experiencing disembodied individuals? Are you talking about "feeling" your atoms :confused:. Considering I slaughter millions of cells every day I do not want to experience genocide for all of eternity.

GoodbyeDave

I'm neutral over the question of reincarnation, but I think of this point as analogous to sleep and dreams. When you wake, you are not conscious of what's been happening while you were asleep, but that doesn't mean that the you of yesterday and the you of today are different. When you are asleep and you dream, it's very rarely that you remember being awake, but it's still you who is dreaming. Our memories of past lives, if we had them, may well be only accessible when we are not incarnate.

As for experience, you don't have to remember an experience to be influenced and molded by it: as psychologists point out, the unrecalled experiences may be more influential that those we remember.