• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believers in Hell only - Accidental Overdose

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
What happens to the souls of victims of accidental overdose? Let's say they were not suicidal but just happened to take a few too many of their prescription medication. Would they still go to Hell, as it is technically a suicide? Or would God be more lenient because they didn't mean to kill themselves?

zookeeper

I don't believe that suicide automatically means Hell. I believe that people have chances to repent and learn and better themselves in the next life. I don't think an accident is suicide. But for those who do commit suicide will definitely have to answer to God for that. And for those who are just careless with their life will have to answer for that also. The LDS gospel teaches that "Hell" is really just for a very small amount of people.

Abdon

It's not technically suicide, in law it would be known as death by misadventure.

With regards to God he judges the spirit so if suicide was not intended he would not consider it suicide imo.

What happens to the souls of victims of accidental overdose? Let's say they were not suicidal but just happened to take a few too many of their prescription medication. Would they still go to Hell, as it is technically a suicide? Or would God be more lenient because they didn't mean to kill themselves?
The Bible doesn't specifically say about what happens to people who commit suicide, but it does imply that anyone who commit suicide will be in hell. Suicide doesn't cause you to goto hell, but not having faith in God when committing suicide will cause you to goto hell. For any true Christian suicide is never an option, no matter what the circumstances. Thoughts of suicide come from feelings of hopelessness, and a true Christian knows that nothing is hopeless with God. By committing suicide you prove that you do not have faith in God, thereby sealing your fate in hell.

That being said, "accidental suicide" isn't suicide because suicide is when you purposefully take your own life. You can't accidentally kill yourself on purpose. Making a mistake doesn't disprove your faith in God, even a mistake that has such big consequences, so accidentally causing your own death doesn't mean you'll go to hell because it is possible to have faith in God and accidentally cause your own death.

Super Universe

Defender of God

You don't go to hell for suicide. You don't go to hell because you did not accept God. Think of hell as the prison system for the universe. It's a place created for those who don't want to follow the rules of ascension which require you to be in service toward others instead of yourself. Hell is a place where the strong subjugate the weak and there are no laws protecting anyone. It's where you go if you want to fight your way to the top of the foodchain.

Those who commit suicide recycle back into another life. Those who don't find God recycle as well.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
The Bible doesn't specifically say about what happens to people who commit suicide, but it does imply that anyone who commit suicide will be in hell. Suicide doesn't cause you to goto hell, but not having faith in God when committing suicide will cause you to goto hell. For any true Christian suicide is never an option, no matter what the circumstances. Thoughts of suicide come from feelings of hopelessness, and a true Christian knows that nothing is hopeless with God. By committing suicide you prove that you do not have faith in God, thereby sealing your fate in hell.

Is that a personal belief, or do you have Scriptural backing?

It mentions nowhere in the Bible that suicide is sin. In fact, there is only about five different instances of suicide mentioned in the Bible, and not once is eternal punishment listed as a result.

The belief came from St. Augustine's postulation (which obviously draws heavily on Catholic dogma) that killing yourself is 'self-murder', and thus as murder is a sin, so is this. And due to the idea of the last rites, if you die without confessing your sin (as you would in suicide, as you're dead and can't repent) then you are sent to hell.

It's an interpretation, but nowhere does it say "suicide means hell."

Troublemane

Hell is where the heart is...."hell" is really a spiritual state and not a real place. people dont go to hell like they would go to disneyworld, or go to the store. anyone who has lived in an alcoholic/abusive family knows hell intimately without having died. so, i'd have to agree with the others here who say basically that accidental death by overdose wont sentence one to a hellish afterlife, rather the condition of the soul prior to death may be an important factor.
but so far there isnt really alot of corroborative evidence in reported NDE's that show a person having a 'hellish" NDE or a person having a "heavenly" NDE differed greatly in personal habits---whether one was particularly good or bad and how that relates to their chances of experiencing either heaven/hell.
so without having any definite knowledge, just intuitively i feel that the soul that is clear of guilt/remorse/hatred,etc. (BAD STUFF) will more likely have the heavenly afterlife experience than the soul that is holding on to a lot of major-bad-mojo.
Just an thought, anyways.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible

If God is just, as the Bible says, then I don't think He'd send anyone who accidently OD'd to Hell. If it's an accident... then it's an accident. I mean what if I decide to skip my cup of tea one morning and I leave the house a couple of minutes early as a result and end up under a bus? Would it be my fault for not taking the time to have a cupa? Nah...

Is that a personal belief, or do you have Scriptural backing?

It mentions nowhere in the Bible that suicide is sin. In fact, there is only about five different instances of suicide mentioned in the Bible, and not once is eternal punishment listed as a result.

The belief came from St. Augustine's postulation (which obviously draws heavily on Catholic dogma) that killing yourself is 'self-murder', and thus as murder is a sin, so is this. And due to the idea of the last rites, if you die without confessing your sin (as you would in suicide, as you're dead and can't repent) then you are sent to hell.

It's an interpretation, but nowhere does it say "suicide means hell."
Killing yourself is self-murder. If it isn't, then what is it? The forgiveness of sins doesn't work that way, that you have to mentally repent for each one, so you're right, it doesn't have anything to do with not being able to repent it.

Suicide isn't something you just decide to do. It isn't something you do for fun when you're bored. Committing suicide requires much mental preparation. The Bible lists characteristics of unsaved people:
  • idolatry
  • adultery
  • prostitution
  • theft
  • greed
  • drunkenness
  • swindling
  • impurity
  • witchcraft
  • discord
  • jealousy
  • fits of rage
  • dissensions
  • envy
  • orgies
  • lying
  • cowardice
  • unbelief
  • sorcery
  • sexual immorality
  • homosexual offenses
  • slander
  • hatred
  • selfish ambition
  • murder
The Bible also lists characteristics of saved people:
  • love
  • joy
  • peace
  • patience
  • kindness
  • goodness
  • faithfulness
  • gentleness
  • self-control
Now do you think thoughts of suicide come from things like love, joy, patience, and self-control? No, of course not. You're right and I agree that the Bible doesn't explicitly state that committing suicide will send you to hell, in fact the only relevant issue on salvation is faith in Christ. However, the results that the Holy Spirit brings about in a believers life is very clear. Suicide comes from evil thoughts over an extended period of time, since it isn't something you do on a whim, so anyone who is saved won't have extended periods of time of these evil thoughts of hopelessness, selfish ambition, cowardice, etc. Anyone who commits suicide while claiming they have faith in Christ is only fooling themselves.

Methinks you should research that.
To be judgmental means to declare something that someone did as right or wrong, so with Biblical support it is perfect fine, infact encouraged, to point out to someone when they are doing wrong. Besides Jesus, the main point of the Bible is to point out what is right and wrong, and Jesus certainly made many judgmental statements against the Pharisees and the Sadducees. To judge, on the other hand, means to pass sentence upon. To say that someone should not have a chance to be forgiven and should goto hell is the kind of judging we are not to do.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
Matt 7:3-5
7:3 Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? 7:4 Or how can you say to your neighbor, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' while the log is in your own eye? 7:5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye.

I think we have to be careful about how we do it, though.

billabong

What have you read that makes you think that you get another chance to repent after death. Also Hell is for the many Paradise is for the few. You got it alittle backwards.

Matt 7:3-5
7:3 Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? 7:4 Or how can you say to your neighbor, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' while the log is in your own eye? 7:5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye.

I think we have to be careful about how we do it, though.
Yes, when pointing out someone's sin it should be done in a manner appropriate to the situation. If you point out someone else's sin in a condescending way it would be a sin for you, but not because you pointed out their sin but because of your pride while doing so. The Bible tells us what is right and what is wrong, so you should not be willing to compromise telling others plainly what God has said just because it makes them uncomfortable. Their own sin is the cause of their guilt, so if they want to stop feeling guilty then perhaps they should stop sinning.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
True. I think a little prodding is necessary, but only occasionally. And when it's done, it better be concise and humbled.

For the most part, I think we are all accountable ourselves to God. In the end, you can't make someone see the speck in their eye.

Michel07

It's not technically suicide, in law it would be known as death by misadventure.

With regards to God he judges the spirit so if suicide was not intended he would not consider it suicide imo.
Hi , I might add to these comments that the Catechism of the Catholic Church also advises us not to despair for the salvation of one who really does commit suicide as salvation is still possible in ways known only to God. I like this view as it really does give God the the glory and the power without trying to tie his hands and I believe reflects His mercy and great love.