• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beliefs in an afterlife - the benefits?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of one-sided appraisals of complex topics, but since we have the other side represented here - Beliefs in an afterlife - the problems? - this one is being created to balance it. Note that the nature of and belief in the afterlife is quite heterogenous and the below represent generalizations that may or may not apply to a specific framework.

Some of the benefits of belief in an afterlife for the living:

• Alleviating Fear. Death represents a big unknown in our lives - it is something we often fear. Telling narratives about death, including though not limited to what happens after we die, help us as a species to cope with fears and anxieties surrounding death especially for the terminally ill. It helps us live.
  • Alleviating Grief. If you've ever lost someone who has meant the world to you, you know how hard that is to deal with. Even if an afterlife isn't real, believing that your beloved continues on in some form is a tremendous boon to the bereaved. Again, it helps us live.
  • Honoring our Ancestors. Connecting to the past is important for cultures worldwide, and our fallen ancestors often play a role in making those connections. Tales of afterlives can bring vibrancy to these tales and help us celebrate who we are and our culture. It brings together the living.
  • Instilling Responsibility. Some cultural narratives about the afterlife emphasize how our behavior in this world impacts that across the veil. So in addition to being held accountable for our actions by the living, we are also held accountable once dead. This doubly encourages us to be responsible!
  • Psychopomps and Mediums. Embracing the idea of an afterlife creates a space for experts who help guide both the living and the dead along the journey. In cultures where they are respected, they serve as advisors and counselors who help us reconcile with death.
  • Instilling Purpose. Accepting the idea of an afterlife often allows us to create the notion that our lives are going somewhere or adding up to something. A sense of purpose is a very important motivator while living because it brings our lives focus and meaning.
There are no doubt quite a few more, but are these enough to consider such beliefs as beneficial and helpful?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find my belief in an afterlife to be a great comfort

But I know that isn't a reason for it being true! :D

As I mentioned in the other thread, the truth of it (in the objective sense) is really irrelevant. That is the case for a great many things, especially where it comes to the day to day needs of life and living. Humans don't behave based on what is objectively true, they behave based on what they perceive to be true. That is why stories and ideas are so powerful, regardless of whether or not they are objectively true.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm not a fan of one-sided appraisals of complex topics, but since we have the other side represented here - Beliefs in an afterlife - the problems? - this one is being created to balance it. Note that the nature of and belief in the afterlife is quite heterogenous and the below represent generalizations that may or may not apply to a specific framework.

• Alleviating Fear. Death represents a big unknown in our lives - it is something we often fear. Telling narratives about death, including though not limited to what happens after we die, help us as a species to cope with fears and anxieties surrounding death especially for the terminally ill. It helps us live.
  • Alleviating Grief. If you've ever lost someone who has meant the world to you, you know how hard that is to deal with. Even if an afterlife isn't real, believing that your beloved continues on in some form is a tremendous boon to the bereaved. Again, it helps us live.
  • Honoring our Ancestors. Connecting to the past is important for cultures worldwide, and our fallen ancestors often play a role in making those connections. Tales of afterlives can bring vibrancy to these tales and help us celebrate who we are and our culture. It brings together the living.
  • Instilling Responsibility. Some cultural narratives about the afterlife emphasize how our behavior in this world impacts that across the veil. So in addition to being held accountable for our actions by the living, we are also held accountable once dead. This doubly encourages us to be responsible!
  • Psychopomps and Mediums. Embracing the idea of an afterlife creates a space for experts who help guide both the living and the dead along the journey. In cultures where they are respected, they serve as advisors and counselors who help us reconcile with death.
  • Instilling Purpose. Accepting the idea of an afterlife often allows us to create the notion that our lives are going somewhere or adding up to something. A sense of purpose is a very important motivator while living because it brings our lives focus and meaning.
There are no doubt quite a few more, but are these enough to consider such beliefs as beneficial and helpful?
I suppose for the living it would be.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As I mentioned in the other thread, the truth of it (in the objective sense) is really irrelevant. That is the case for a great many things, especially where it comes to the day to day needs of life and living. Humans don't behave based on what is objectively true, they behave based on what they perceive to be true. That is why stories and ideas are so powerful, regardless of whether or not they are objectively true.

So it doesn't at all matter if the number of untruths out balance all the truths? Is that a good or even best way of living? We seem to have progressed a lot by getting rid of most of the untruths we ever believed so why stop doing this?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Erm....
I don't mean to disrupt your topic, but if I may...
I find it tricky to discuss whether beliefs are beneficial, not because it is hard to assess it, but rather because it is a subject that can easily lead ( although not necessarily ) to concluding something akin to: Therefore, we should hold those beliefs. And I consider holding a belief because of it's benefits ( rather than because you truly think it represents reality ) to be a vice, the opposite of a virtue.

Now, getting back to your questions: I would say 'Yes', they are beneficial but there are a few other important points that I would like to mention.

1) It depends on what particular belief in afterlife you have and how you think it is gonna affect you and those you love. For instance, believing you are accountable in the afterlife might actually cause distress in this life. if you believe there is a hell and that all of your loves ones are not going there, then it might not cause you any suffering, but if you think there is a real chance any of you is going straight to hell then you might experience an extra anxiety and worriness about that.

2) It depends on your other beliefs. Just to give an example: If you believe that we all get to live only for as long as we are supposed to live and that's it, much of the benefits are gone.

3) You become more likely to fall prey to con artists such as fake mediums.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Whatever helps to get you through life. :)
Myself, I feel these benefits are possible without a belief in the afterlife. However if it gets you to where you need to be, who am I to judge.

Galateasdream

Since I hold to a sort of ultra-universalism, where every being gets ultimate justice, recompense, and bliss, I find my cosmic optimism a great psychological comfort.

I've had other views of the afterlife which were not as pleasant or comforting, and I can't imagine a scenario better than the one I currently believe in. It would be unreasonable not to desire it to be true, as far as I can see.

Of course, whether true or not is a different question, but I certainly cannot see much of a downside to my POV - and I feel the force of much benefit. I'd certainly be more depressed and anxious if I didn't believe it.

Audie

Veteran Member

I am not into self deception for any reason

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Alleviating Fear. It's only unknown if one just doesn't accept death as an ending of life. And we fear lots of things - that's what makes us probably rather different from most other species in that we can imagine all sorts of things that might happen, real or not - but we usually find ways of coping with such, if one is a mature adult and not a child. Which is what afterlife beliefs might be said to be for - those who act like little children and need their comforter. I don't know how children are raised in communities without any afterlife beliefs but I would bet that just accepting death, as their parents would (but the sadness will usually be there too), will likely be just as normal as children raised with afterlife belief tales.

Alleviating Grief. Much the same as above. Perhaps we need to honour the dead more than we usually do, which might then alleviate some of the grieving. And of course it does vary. I only grieved for a few days when I lost my mother (she wasn't actually dead but had lost most of her personality due to dementia at the time), and her eventual death a year later was more of a release from the suffering she was enduring, although I am sure many grieve for far longer periods.

Honoring our Ancestors. Again, as above, perhaps we need to remember and celebrate their lives better rather than inventing possible ones they might have in the afterlife.

Instilling Responsibility. I'm not sure this is a good argument. Why not expect people to be fully responsible in this life. It seems to me that there is all too much avoiding of what we should be doing in the here and now - like indviduals and countries looking after themselves, but often at the expense of others. If one asked the question - what would happen if everyone did this (Kant essentially) - and this guided one's behaviour and/or morality (plus a helping of the Golden Rule), perhaps we would come to some consensus on such. Why invent a nebulous carrot when we could create appropriate real carrots to ensure that we all behaved better.

Psychopomps and Mediums. And also opens the door to a bunch of charlatans - like this one, here a psychic but much the same:

Psychic who predicted JFK's death says world will end in 'armageddon' this year (*)

Take away these jobs and they could be retrained to deal with practical issues for those who need it. :oops:

Instilling Purpose. So does the fact that one has a finite life - perhaps more so - in which to accomplish all that one would want. And acceptance of this fact (finite life) doesn't necessarily prevent one from having a sense of purpose or not give meaning to one's life. That is, if one accepts that death is the end, and many might not take so many risks in life (often rather silly ones) if we accepted that the one life is all that we are given.

* However, she certainly hasn't always been right and many of her wild predictions have never come to pass. Jeane believed Russia would beat the US in the space race to become the first nation to send a man to the moon - she was wrong. She also predicted that World War Three would break out in 1958, there would be a cure for cancer in 1967, a second holocaust in the 1980s and that Rome would rise again to be the biggest empire in the world. In 1969, authorities asked for Jeane's help to find a missing six-year-old boy, Dennis Lloyd Martin, who had vanished from Tennessee. She was unable to locate the youngster.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

An afterlife is an inherent part of a worldview for most Abrahamics and Dharmics. For Abrahamics its part of scriptures so its hard to deny an afterlife without denying the Divine origins of our sacred writings. It therefore becomes part of our worldview whether we like it or not. That has implications for how we live our lives. How we adjust depends on our psychology. Personally knowing my progress on the next world is inextricably linked to my progress in this life is a powerful motivator to live a virtuous life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't necessarily agree with alleviating fear. There are those who fear the afterlife because of a false belief in unending torment that may await them.

Fair point. As mentioned, the specifics are inevitably going to vary based on the specific ideas about the afterlife that are presented. Any ideology can be twisted in ways that are unhealthy. Clearly, many folks find comfort in ideas about the afterlife, though, if their prevalence is any indication.

So it doesn't at all matter if the number of untruths out balance all the truths? Is that a good or even best way of living? We seem to have progressed a lot by getting rid of most of the untruths we ever believed so why stop doing this?

I'm not sure you're understanding my point. Let me see if I can help clarify? What I'm pointing out is not about things "balancing" out or making judgements about what is a "good" or "best" way of living, much less about so-called "progress." I'm making the simple (might I add, factual) observation that humans behave based on what they perceive to be true whether or not that is objectively true. In today's world where human behavior is frequently manipulated by altering perceptions it is very, very important to be aware of this. It's how marketing works, it's how political ads work, it's how disinformation works, etc.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of one-sided appraisals of complex topics, but since we have the other side represented here - Beliefs in an afterlife - the problems? - this one is being created to balance it.
Very creative balance to that other thread!

To me the 'afterlife' belief make our existence tremendously richer. All the spiritual progress we make is not wiped out by an aging brain and death makes things richer and more important.

It's also more depressing to think our loved ones are not continuing to feel our love and caring.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I never had any problem with non-belief in after-life (funny polemics). After-life absorbs the molocules that my body is contstitued by into millions/billions of other living and non-living things. I sort of become omni-present. My body will provide around 1.2×10 raised to power 27 molecules for recycling.

I will go where I came from - Brahman.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Fair point. As mentioned, the specifics are inevitably going to vary based on the specific ideas about the afterlife that are presented. Any ideology can be twisted in ways that are unhealthy. Clearly, many folks find comfort in ideas about the afterlife, though, if their prevalence is any indication.

I'm not sure you're understanding my point. Let me see if I can help clarify? What I'm pointing out is not about things "balancing" out or making judgements about what is a "good" or "best" way of living, much less about so-called "progress." I'm making the simple (might I add, factual) observation that humans behave based on what they perceive to be true whether or not that is objectively true. In today's world where human behavior is frequently manipulated by altering perceptions it is very, very important to be aware of this. It's how marketing works, it's how political ads work, it's how disinformation works, etc.

Perhaps you didn't get my point, so I'll simplify it for you. What makes some erroneous beliefs so special? We've believed all sorts of rubbish in the past - about ourselves, our environment, about what we experience - and lately, in the last few centuries or so, we have come to see how so many were damaging beliefs. So why are we set on 'fencing off' some beliefs that also appear to have no proper evidence to back them up?

Last edited:

MonkeyFire

How come you can ruin inertia for nothingness, with life and death, but we believers cant be existing at the center of time believing, and waiting to go back to heaven as we were before we came to earth for all eternity.

Last edited:

Terry Sampson

I recently came across this John Updike quote: "Astronomy is what we have now instead of theology. The terrors are less, but the comforts are nil’. Although I think Updike's view of astronomy's "comforts" is biased, I found his comparison of astronomy and theology interesting. Who knows? Perhaps, if I or someone had bought a telescope for me when I was younger, I might have given more attention to "what's out there" than to "what happens after this".

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I recently came across this John Updike quote: "Astronomy is what we have now instead of theology. The terrors are less, but the comforts are nil’. Although I think Updike's view of astronomy's "comforts" is biased, I found his comparison of astronomy and theology interesting. Who knows? Perhaps, if I or someone had bought a telescope for me when I was younger, I might have given more attention to "what's out there" than to "what happens after this".

The comforts are nil? Like our new understanding of how common other planets are and the opportunities this might have for us in the future. Science seems to me to have opened up a lot of comforts - if we manage to stay alive long enough to take advantage of all that we now see - unless one is earth-bound in outlook, and possibly tied to some religious belief. We might never expand off earth but we surely know that it might be possible in the future.