• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beliefs as passions

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well, we THINK our intuitions are factual truths. But intuition makes mistakes. For example, we hear a rustling in the bush, and we think Predator. It is better than we err on the side of caution, make a mistake, and not get killed, than to assume what is more probable and reasonable, that it is not a predator, and end up with the improbable and get killed.

Intuition makes mistakes like see faces when there are none there (think happy face or even a colon and parenthesis :) ) or see patterns when prematurely (I pull six yellow items out of a bag and assume that everything in the bag is yellow) and tend to attribute intelligent agency without adequate evidence. Again, it is because seeing faces, noticing patterns and intelligent agency are good survival skills -- they outweigh the mistakes.

They are correct enough?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the reason however, that we remain divided, while holy books can unite us if we reflect through them properly and reason properly.

Bear Wild

I'm going to speak in generalities, so realize that I acknowledge the exceptions to the rules.

We have two ways to reach truths. The older way is intuition, an instinctual gut level decision making that is great for survival, but makes a lot of errors. The newer way is reason, a very efficient way, but not always the quickest, best way, nor should it be the only way--by the time you reason it out, the predator has already killed you.

My thesis here is that belief systems are intuitive. I choose to use the word passion, because they involve so much emotion in most cases. Because they are passion rather than reason, they are impervious to rational arguments against them. This is why you don't often see people in forums converting to other religions or flipping sides. At best, we agree to disagree agreeably.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to have reasons for our beliefs. But lets be a little honest that at the core, we really aren't reasoning our way to them.

For example, a person doesn't become an Evangelical with a "born again" experience because they study the Bible first and evaluate the prophecies, and study the archaeological evidences for the validity of the Christian scriptures. Rather, they have problems with their lives, and intuit that this emotional experience will transform them, and they are almost always emotionally moved by an charismatic appeal to their heart. They continue in their faith for reasons of a passion for Jesus, not theological arguments.

What do you think of my theory?

I like you but no as much for your theory. When will you ever learn that we are emotional animals first driven by our ventral medial prefrontal cortex and cognitive secondary through our dorsal lateral prefrontal cortex. Both are in a balance of both equally important.

Bird123

I think if someone is raised in a religion, they are more likely to be emotionally attached to it than to see reason, don't you think?

You would think that if one seeks truth reason would lead the way. But when it comes to religion, it usually isn't. There are of course always exceptions to the rule (or there would never be converts).

I'm not so sure emotions or reason is always used having been told the same thing for 20 years starting at a young age. Blind accepting something as fact requires neither. Example: If I told you everyday for 20plus years hot water freezes quicker than cold, how long would it take for you to accept that as fact having heard it for so long? Is a brainwashed person using reason or emotions or is it all just a habit?

I have found few people who actually search for Truth. There are a million reasons people seek out religions. You are right. Most of those reasons probably are emotional.

Religion is good at playing with emotions when it comes to God, however let's not forget God has a reason half as well. That connection will provide much greater benefits.

I have found no religion that actually understands God. If one blindly follows religion for emotional security, how much about God is one truly missing? Is that person really seeking Truth or just emotional security?

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
No you couldn't. The Jews belief in the Exodus doesn't save them. Where do you get that?

Of the Muslim's, where is faith required to initiate salvation on their part?

Good-Ole-Rebel
This thread is not about which competing truth claims are correct. It seems to me that this thread isn't your ball of wax.