• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beliefs about the Fall of Adam and Eve

Landon Campbell

I am in a religious study class and was asked to find out what Christians believe about the Fall of Adam and Eve.

What do you believe about Fall of Adam and Eve?
What do you think the results are from the Fall?
Why do you think the Fall part of God's plan?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I am in a religious study class and was asked to find out what Christians believe about the Fall of Adam and Eve.

That it was entirely preventable. Disobedience on the part of Adam and his wife carried the death penalty. If there was no choice, there could not be a penalty. No disobedience would have meant no death. There was only one cause...and it wasn't natural.

Romans 5:12.
Sin and death was inherited from our first parents like an awful genetic disorder. Jesus came to pay for what Adam did to his children....offering his life for ours.

It wasn't. It was one of a number of possible outcomes based on how humans exercised their free will.

What if Eve had simply told the devil to go away as Jesus did when he was tempted?

What if the woman had offered the fruit to Adam and he had refused to be disobedient?

God's original purpose was to have a race of intelligent material beings who reflected the qualities of their Creator, to inhabit a beautifully prepared planet in peace and harmony with all other life forms, forever.

The only thing that would derail that purpose was disobedience.
We have been seeing the implementation of God's solution to that problem ever since.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student

A lot but not all Christians would say the following:

Common Christian Opinion 1: "Adam and Eve where tricked by Satan to disobey God so God punished them for it with original sin."

Common Christian Opinion 2: "It is a metaphor about how people fell from grace."

Common Christian Opinion 1: "We became inherently sinful and must turn to Jesus to save us from our sinful natures."

Common Christian Opinion 2: "The metaphor tells us about how people can never perfectly follow God's commandments."

Why do you think the Fall [is] part of God's plan?

Common Christian Opinion 1: "Adam and Eve made their choices and God punished them for it."

Common Christian Opinion 2: "God created evil to give us free-will."

RESOLUTION

The truth given by God to Moses to explain how Man became separated from God.

We know the separation from God spiritually and later physically for Adam and Eve and so all mankind.

As the Lambs book of life written before the foundation of the world, I believe we all know that God is omnipresent telling the end from the beginning.
God knows our hearts and our free will. We make our decision but he knows what they will be. But the outcome he is able to help with the fall out.

Do you believe a man dies because of the fall? Or because like Adam he chooses to die?

omega2xx

It happened exactly as told in the Bible.

The results were exactly as describe in Rom 6:12-21.

It was not part of God's plan.

omega2xx

A lot but not all Christians would say the following:

Common Christian Opinion 1: "Adam and Eve where tricked by Satan to disobey God so God punished them for it with original sin."

Eve was deceived, tricked if you like. Adam was not(I Tim 2:14).

Common Christian Opinion 2: "It is a metaphor about how people fell from grace."

That is not a common Christian opinion

Common Christian Opinion 1: "We became inherently sinful and must turn to Jesus to save us from our sinful natures."

That is not a Christian opinion, it is the truth.

Common Christian Opinion 2: "The metaphor tells us about how people can never perfectly follow God's commandments.

It is not a metaphor, it is a fact.

Common Christian Opinion 1: "Adam and Eve made their choices and God punished them for it."

You finally got something right.

Common Christian Opinion 2: "God created evil to give us free-will."

You are half right, God did not create evil but He did give us free will.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Not a Christian, but here's my perspective:

I think it's an interesting take on the Prometheus story, recasting the bringing of knowledge to humanity as an evil act instead of a charitable one.

I don't think that it literally happened, but in the narrative of the story, it serves to tell its original audience that their way of life - and the things that might have troubled them the most - were ordained by God: the effort of work and the pain of childbirth were God's decrees, so people should just get on and deal with them.

To provide a just-so story for humanity, including the societal conditions that the authors saw around them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That it was entirely preventable. Disobedience on the part of Adam and his wife carried the death penalty. If there was no choice, there could not be a penalty. No disobedience would have meant no death. There was only one cause...and it wasn't natural.
The cause was ultimately God.

Edit: in the modern interpretation. When the story was first created, the Jews were still henotheistic, so I suppose that in the way the story was originally intended, some other God besides Jehovah/Yahweh could have been responsible for the serpent.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
One view:

In the story Adam and Eve choose free will over immortality. First Eve chooses knowledge not knowing it will kill her, then Adam does it knowing he will die. Once their eyes open they may no longer live forever, but they do not need to be told right from wrong. They also are able to have children like themselves, so though they die their story continues.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

I do no believe in the fall at all.
The entire story is a prehistory fable to explain how man came to be.
There are lots of such tribal stories dealing with creation from all parts of the world.
It is a natural subject for mankind to wonder and think about.
As we do even today.The story has come down through the Jewish heritage and adopted by Christianity.

As a fable, it and the whole creations story, have some important lessons for mankind to ponder.
But these do not require belief in them, to have value.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Eve was deceived, tricked if you like. Adam was not(I Tim 2:14).

That is not a common Christian opinion

That is not a Christian opinion, it is the truth.

It is not a metaphor, it is a fact.

You finally got something right.

You are half right, God did not create evil but He did give us free will.

I did not say it was correct. I said it was common Christian opnion.

I have met a lot of conservative and liberal Christians and believe it or not the majority of Christians believe in things like evolution.

Your Christian opinion =/= majority Christian opinion.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

I believe Adam's job was mostly yard work, tending the garden etc. Eve was a helper, took care of the cooking and cleaning, which is why they mostly just picked fruit and ate it. That led to the fall of mankind. So God needed a new plan of what to do with them.

omega2xx

I did not say it was correct. I said it was common Christian opnion.

I have met a lot of conservative and liberal Christians and believe it or not the majority of Christians believe in things like evolution.

Your sample is not large enough to be statistically valid.

Your Christian opinion =/= majority Christian opinion.

How did you determine those you are referring to are Christians?

My views are help by conservative Christians.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Your sample is not large enough to be statistically valid.

I said words like a lot and common.

As far as Christians accepting evolution, I can pull up studies that support that.

How did you determine those you are referring to are Christians?

Mostly it's them identifiying themselves as such.

My views are help by conservative Christians.

Assuming you meant "held" rather than "help", there is variance in conservative Christian views.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What is a conservative christian.?
Which denominations do you concider conservative.?
Do you consider the old denominations like Catholic, orthodox or coptic to be conservative?.
Or just the newer american protestant ones?
None of the old ones fall into the literalist bracket. Nor are sola scriptura.

Kelly of the Phoenix

1. It was called the fall by other people, interpreting a story to blame everyone but themselves for the crap world in which they found themselves.
2. People with the minds of kids had to grow up.
3. I think one should learn about how religious literature tropes played out in the ancient Middle East. Whether humans can be godlike or gods depends on the religion.

That it was entirely preventable.
I agree. Had God simply not given them access, we wouldn't have to deal with this story. A lot of the biblical stories are like that: had the author been a better writer, plot holes wouldn't cause the rest of the plot.

When we let kids play in a parent's room with a gun in it and the child kills themselves or someone else, we blame (rightly) the neglectful parent. When God leaves out something in plain view, we blame the kids.

I think it's an interesting take on the Prometheus story, recasting the bringing of knowledge to humanity as an evil act instead of a charitable one.
Prometheus got his liver ripped out daily because Zeus, like Yahweh, wasn't a fan of it either.

omega2xx

I said words like a lot and common.

You also said a majority of Christians believe in things like that. The Christians you know doe snot constitute a large enough sample for your statemenet to be statistically valid.

As far as Christians accepting evolution, I can pull up studies that support that.

Could be. tht doesnl make evolution a valid concept.

Mostly it's them identifiying themselves as such.

Saying "I am a Christian" does not make one a Christian.

Assuming you meant "held" rather than "help", there is variance in conservative Christian views.

There is a variance in the understanding of all religious writings. It only proves one belief is wrong. In conservative Christianity, there is 100% agreement in the basic doctrines taught in the Bible.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
You also said a majority of Christians believe in things like that. The Christians you know doe snot constitute a large enough sample for your statemenet to be statistically valid.

Could be. tht doesnl make evolution a valid concept.

Saying "I am a Christian" does not make one a Christian.

There is a variance in the understanding of all religious writings. It only proves one belief is wrong. In conservative Christianity, there is 100% agreement in the basic doctrines taught in the Bible.

Google no true Scotsman fallacy, sceintific method, and intermediatary fossils.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Been there, done that. They do not offer any real scientific evidence. Prove me wrong.

Well in regards to the True Scotsman fallacy of course it would not, it is a idea based on rational logic not empirical observations.

The scientific method does not use itself to validate itself, that would be circular logic.

And there is plenty of publicly accessible evidence for intermediary fossils.

So frankly, I don't believe you actually have looked them up.