• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief: What is it?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What does belief mean to you?

Is it a requirement of religion? Why or why not?

Is it a requirement of atheism? Why or why not?

Does Salix have the best fashion sense on RF? Why or why not?

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Because...

Because...

And what the hey??

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Belief is by no means a requirement of religion. In fact, most religions -- if you include most Eastern and just about all indigenous religions -- do not place much importance on beliefs. The emphasis placed on belief by Christianity and Islam seems to be a Middle Eastern fetish or heresy.

For instance, there are no creeds in most of the world's religions.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Sure you do! You have superb fashion sense. In fact, I have always said the world is on the very verge of recogniing the aesthetic appeal of paisley bellbottom spandex leggings. In fact, the Bible predicts the world will recognize their appeal. The Bible calls the event "the Apocalypse".

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Belief is by no means a requirement of religion. In fact, most religions -- if you include most Eastern and just about all indigenous religions -- do not place much importance on beliefs. The emphasis placed on belief by Christianity and Islam seems to be a Middle Eastern fetish or heresy.

This is quite true in the context of belief being something that one holds true as a matter of opinion.

But this thread was inspired by a discussion about belief in another thread, in which a poster said that they believe the daytime sky is blue and that 2+3=5. I questioned why belief was needed in the presence of experiential knowledge, but sort of ate my words when I looked up the Merriam-Webster definition of belief, specifically definition 3.

Definition of BELIEF

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is quite true in the context of belief being something that one holds true as a matter of opinion.

But this thread was inspired by a discussion about belief in another thread, in which a poster said that they believe the daytime sky is blue and that 2+3=5. I questioned why belief was needed in the presence of experiential knowledge, but sort of ate my words when I looked up the Merriam-Webster definition of belief, specifically definition 3.

Definition of BELIEF

GREAT THREAD IDEA!!!!

Here's my take on it. If you bump your head against a brick wall, do you consciously need to believe that brick walls are hard and painful to bump heads against to avoid bumping your head against them in the future?

Heck no.

QED: Belief is more like 'commentary' than 'text'.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
GREAT THREAD IDEA!!!!

Here's my take on it. If you bump your head against a brick wall, do you consciously need to believe that brick walls are hard and painful to bump heads against to avoid bumping your head against them in the future?

Heck no.

QED: Belief is more like 'commentary' than 'text'.

That pretty well sums up my thinking on the subject. I only need to bump my head against a brick wall once to have knowledge that brink walls are hard and that bumping my head into one is painful. I don't understand a need for belief when I see another brick wall. I already know if I bump my head on it, it will hurt.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That pretty well sums up my thinking on the subject. I only need to bump my head against a brick wall once to have knowledge that brink walls are hard and that bumping my head into one is painful. I don't understand a need for belief when I see another brick wall. I already know if I bump my head on it, it will hurt.

Exactly. You put it better than I did.

Audie

Veteran Member

Plz not another version of "faith to be an atheist"!!!

ecco

Veteran Member

What does belief mean to you? Which definition of belief?

noun
something believed; an opinion or conviction:a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof:
a statement unworthy of belief.
confidence; faith; trust:a child's belief in his parents.
a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith:the Christian belief.

Is it a requirement of religion? Why or why not? Belief without evidence is a requirement. Take away belief without evidence and religion disappears.

Is it a requirement of atheism? Why or why not? Atheism requires belief in rationalism and disbelief in woo. Irrational people do not become atheists.

Does Salix have the best fashion sense on RF? Why or why not? Why would anyone care?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What does belief mean to you? Which definition of belief?

noun
something believed; an opinion or conviction:a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof:
a statement unworthy of belief.
confidence; faith; trust:a child's belief in his parents.
a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith:the Christian belief.
Are you seriously asking me to define what belief means to you?

If you were to use the term 'belief' in the context of this forum, what definition would you be using?

Is it a requirement of religion? Why or why not? Belief without evidence is a requirement. Take away belief without evidence and religion disappears.
What if one's religious views are founded in experiential evidence?

Is it a requirement of atheism? Why or why not? Atheism requires belief in rationalism and disbelief in woo.
So atheism requires belief by way of rationalism? Do other philosophies require belief, in your opinion?

Does Salix have the best fashion sense on RF? Why or why not? Why would anyone care?
Come now, that's not answering the question. :D

ecco

Veteran Member
Are you seriously asking me to define what belief means to you?

No. I am reminding you that there are multiple definitions for the word "belief". That is something that I'm quite sure you know.

If you were to use the term 'belief' in the context of this forum, what definition would you be using?

The context of this forum? This forum covers many things including science and politics as well as religion. That's another reason one should not be vague, especially in an OP.

What if one's religious views are founded in experiential evidence?
Please give an example of "experiential evidence" as relates to religious views. As far as I know, there has been no evidence presented to support religious views.

Do other philosophies require belief, in your opinion?
Again, that is far too vague. What "other philosophies"?

So atheism requires belief by way of rationalism?
Is that your opinion or a question?

What I already said was:
Atheism requires belief in rationalism and disbelief in woo.​

Do you see the difference between what I wrote and your not-so-clever rewording?

Jeremiah Ames

How can u attain knowledge without first having belief? Please explain.
When you hear or see anything new, it becomes knowledge in your mind. You learned a fact (it may be true or false). Therefore, you now ‘know’ something that you did not previously know. Hence, your knowledge was increased.
But you need not believe it. Just my opinion.

Jeremiah Ames

No. I am reminding you that there are multiple definitions for the word "belief". That is something that I'm quite sure you know.

The context of this forum? This forum covers many things including science and politics as well as religion. That's another reason one should not be vague, especially in an OP.

Please give an example of "experiential evidence" as relates to religious views. As far as I know, there has been no evidence presented to support religious views.

Again, that is far too vague. What "other philosophies"?

Is that your opinion or a question?

What I already said was:
Atheism requires belief in rationalism and disbelief in woo.​

Do you see the difference between what I wrote and your not-so-clever rewording?
I wonder why you say “As far as I know, there has been no evidence presented to support religious views.“
I will give you evidence to support my religious view. My religious view comes from my religion. My religion claims that if a person is kind to other people, they will generally receive kindness in return. I attempted this, many times, in many different public locations. It has been proven to be true. Other people I speak with verify it as well. As a result, I adopted this religion. Would you be interested in joining?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
When you hear or see anything new, it becomes knowledge in your mind. You learned a fact (it may be true or false). Therefore, you now ‘know’ something that you did not previously know. Hence, your knowledge was increased.
But you need not believe it. Just my opinion.

Really, so anything you see is knowledge, hear or touch is knowledge. You eyes, ears and touch are never wrong or can't be fooled. You eyes, ears, and touch automatically know what the sense is. Truth is you believe they do and then you test your beliefs or don't. The only reason we can learn is because we believe we know. Can you prove reality is not just in your mind. Is all that you see, hear and touch knowledge or do it only become so with trial and error or proof.