• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief of not - Is one better that the other?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
stephen, what in your opinion carries more weight, belief as a product of intuition/understanding or as a conscious decision based on criteria?

do we choose our belief on criteria or on gut feeling, information, and experience?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If I go by experience, then I feel as though I am a better person believing in God. I was a miserable wretch before I believed in God.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
stephen, what in your opinion carries more weight, belief as a product of intuition/understanding or as a conscious decision based on criteria?

In my opinion, my conscious decisions led me to a certain rationalization, but the decisions flowed from an intuition/understanding in which my consciousness played no part.
In my case the unconscious part of the process carries more weight.

do we choose our belief on criteria or on gut feeling, information, and experience?
I chose on the basis of the latter but I do not feel like I had a choice. I think that this is perhaps because my 'choice' was so obviously (obvious to me that is :)) the result of unconscious processes.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
For the sake of argument please pretend that we can choose what we believe.
By what criteria would you decide which is the better choice - to believe in God, or to not believe?

For me? To not believe.

Based on what criteria? Because my nature demands that something have sufficient evidence for its existence, for me to believe that it exists.