• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief-o-matic. What are you?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Really? Either they are pushing it, or its so lax in ideology that everyone fits the bill.
I wouldn't say that they're lax... more that when it comes to personal beliefs, they place more emphasis on the journey than the destination.

Otherright

Otherright
I was hoping UU wouldn't show up at all...:(

I was hoping 2 would be 1.

That makes sense. You consider yourself more Theravedic than anything else, don't you?

I guess I do also, but I like to describe myself as more of a general buddhist. There are concepts in each I disagree with. Especially Mahayana Buddhism.

But, in the end, I guess it really doesn't matter. Just walking the path is good enough... for both of us. We'll get out of it, what we get out of it.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
That makes sense. You consider yourself more Theravedic than anything else, don't you?

I guess I do also, but I like to describe myself as more of a general buddhist. There are concepts in each I disagree with. Especially Mahayana Buddhism.

But, in the end, I guess it really doesn't matter. Just walking the path is good enough... for both of us. We'll get out of it, what we get out of it.
Well, I like the mystique (and, obviously the philosophy/dharma) of Buddhism, although I could easily consider myself a Secular Humanist. The weight of an ancient tradition by an enlightened man is good for the faith, apparently.

Otherright

Otherright
Well, I like the mystique (and, obviously the philosophy/dharma) of Buddhism, although I could easily consider myself a Secular Humanist. The weight of an ancient tradition by an enlightened man is good for the faith, apparently.

I agree.

In my previous post, I'd considered you a secular humanist. Then I remembered some of your responses to threads involving Buddhism. I think at one time I asked you in one of them if you were theravedic. So either one definitely jives with my currently observed opinion of you... that being that you were either theravedic or a secular humanist.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I agree.

In my previous post, I'd considered you a secular humanist. Then I remembered some of your responses to threads involving Buddhism. I think at one time I asked you in one of them if you were theravedic. So either one definitely jives with my currently observed opinion of you... that being that you were either theravedic or a secular humanist.
Mahayana tends to get into Pure Lands and commentaries on the Buddha's ideas, rather than the Buddha's ideas themselves. I believe that wisdom is the primary goal and compassion is a side effect of the results. Mahayanists usually believe compassion is the main goal and enlightenment second, aka the point of Bodhisattvas.

Then again I get Vajrayana and Mahayana confused...

Draka

Wonder Woman
They have another quiz called What's your Spiritual Type?

Beliefnet Quizzes

Active Spiritual Seeker � Spiritual but turned off by organized religion

x.gif

Spiritual Straddler � One foot in traditional religion, one foot in free-form spirituality

xkatz

Old-fashioned Seeker -- Happy with my religion but searching for the right expression of it (60-69)

Last edited: