• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief in human evolution makes people better persons

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Nah. We just have a more complicated system.
Yeah, these institutions can be a “complicated system”; but for most cultures, it is functional & serves a purpose. Hey, that sounds like an argument for intelligent design! Thanks.

By saying “more complicated system“, you’re inferring that chimpanzees have a system of justice, beyond ‘might makes right’. Please, enlighten us.
If more complicated is all that you mean, I am unimpressed.
It isn’t, but spending some time with a troop or a community might change your mind. If you survived.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For @sayak83
Regarding your title,
“Belief in human evolution makes people better persons”….

So, it is a belief, huh?

And all this time, I’ve been told it isn’t a belief.
Earth is round is also a belief. The difference is between beliefs that are justified through evidence and beliefs that are not justified through evidence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Or so says a very large international scale study.
https://phys.org/news/2022-04-disbelief-human-evolution-linked-greater.html

Excerpts are quoted below

We see that here is an example of how a scientifically grounded insight into our origins and connections to the rest of humanity and the living world can open our minds and hearts into becoming a better human being.

The study also destroys the claim that somehow belief in evolution is a detriment to our moral character. In fact it is established now that the opposite us true. Disbelief in the scientific understanding of human nature is far more likely to create worse human beings regardless of religious beliefs or ethnicities.

What say others?

Adding the original paper link
APA PsycNet
I have been gone for a while, but I have discussed this elsewhere. I would say that it is not just the teaching of evolution, but education in general that makes people more decent human beings. An acceptance of evolution is a byproduct of a greater education. So even though I do very much appreciate evolution I would not credit the theory of evolution itself with this better behavior.

ppp

By saying “more complicated system“, you’re inferring that chimpanzees have a system of justice, beyond ‘might makes right’. Please, enlighten us.
I will happily discuss your opinion as soon as you demonstrate that your opinions come from ethological sources, as opposed your just making them up as you go along.

It isn’t, but spending some time with a troop or a community might change your mind. If you survived.
Birute Galdikas is 75. Jane Goodall is 88. Dian Fossey was killed by humans who wanted to kill gorillas for fun and profit. Frans de Waal is 73.
Your thinking is flawed

I wonder how long a chimpanzee ambling through an American suburb would survive. Or remain unimprisoned.