• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief in human evolution makes people better persons

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The ToE is gaining more and more acceptance while the Bible’s influence is declining

A good thing.

, and yet we can observe that people’s attitudes and selfishness are getting worse and worse.

How so?
The happiest and safest countries in the world are secular democracies with low levels of religiosity and high levels of scientific literacy. That seems like it is a direct refutation of your statement.

So please provide evidence of this supposed "problem" of people's attitudes and selfishness?

I mean, we’re told we are animals, so might as well act like them, eh?
We do act like animals. Humans, to be specific.

The alternative would be to act like plants or whatever.
That would be kind of strange, right?

It's kind of ironic also that you would try and use that as an argument against evolution... all that statement does is tell us what our biological classification is.

Your christian religion however, doesn't just give us a biological classification. Instead, it literally tells us that we are rotten to the core. That we are "evil" and "sinners" and in need of "saving".

That we are "guilty" of the "crime" of being humans.

So it's kind of ironic that you would try and make this strawman claim about evolution, while at the same time it is actually YOUR RELIGION that puts us down like that - not biology at all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Your christian religion however, doesn't just give us a biological classification. Instead, it literally tells us that we are rotten to the core. That we are "evil" and "sinners" and in need of "saving".

No wonder countries with low religiosity are happier.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
We do act like animals. Humans, to be specific.
What species of animal, install laws & judicial systems in support of the unique sense of justice we innately have?
(The mere fact that these systems are being inundated, more than ever before: Our Overloaded Judicial System - What Is the Cause? Is There a Remedy? | Office of Justice Programs ; An Overloaded Criminal Justice System Responds to a Public Health Crisis - Council on Criminal Justice
…. is “evidence of this supposed "problem" of people's attitudes and selfishness”.)

The alternative would be to act like plants or whatever.
That would be kind of strange, right?
Humorous, but flippant.

You’re right, many are taught that.

But such a view is not mine, nor is it among any Jehovah’s Witnesses that I know. Maybe a few are misinformed in this regard.
However, we do think that mankind is not reaching its full potential, at the moment.
But we believe this will change, soon.

I think you know there’s much disagreement among those professing to follow Christ. You can’t make sweeping generalizations, and apply it to all of them.

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
If a human was a naturalist you are one human who looks direct at another human and say presence.

In a thinking human one thought a thought your human thought is only instant that says present other hu man.

A theist hence would say correct word use if they used correct hu man consciousness.

As a human.
As a living human.
As a correct living human speaking words. Thinking exact in a moment.

Two humans prove my thesis my DNA is human. I am a human you are a human as human DNA says only human.

So if you deny the bible no man is God you'd be a human theist lying.

You would as an evil human instant thinker as human quoted I'd be looking at a beast claiming a beast turned into a human.

As the bible was a naturalists human thesis of a human scientist.

Now if an idiot human who says by code A Dam is a alpha mad as man MAD. A man was mad to be a scientist. His owned quote.

It's a quip.

As you were mad to make the status about not being a human first. And mad for not claiming we are two human's first.

As only a human can think as science observed as the human by being a human one human.

Yet two humans live.

So if the idiot scientist self named mad...was a theist....he had to look study human biology first twice and not compare two humans first...it would otherwise demon...strata you were using evil human thoughts.

About humans being beasts first.

Was the teaching.

Idiot...

Code....
ID identity I OT.

Meaning by code I identify with old testaments and not modern life.

As if Human's mutated DNA de evolved as moses stated about one only human life was shared by two bodies.

As the bible was a proven human thesis thought to destroy natural life.

As a human was never any beast type.

A human in any term science is the quote human is the human.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What species of animal, install laws & judicial systems in support of the unique sense of justice we innately have? .. But we believe this will change, soon.
There is nothing innate in us except selfishness. All the rest comes from our interaction with society.
Any reason for that belief with us having our fingers presently on nuclear buttons?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
There is nothing innate in us except selfishness. All the rest comes from our interaction with society.
Any reason for that belief with us having our fingers presently on nuclear buttons?
You quote-mined me, man.
[[**“What species of animal, install laws & judicial systems in support of the unique sense of justice we innately have? .. But we believe this will change, soon.”**]]
You twisted my statement, like I was saying, “our unique sense of justice will change, soon.” Totally out of context. Why would you do that?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What species of animal, install laws & judicial systems in support of the unique sense of justice we innately have?
(The mere fact that these systems are being inundated, more than ever before: Our Overloaded Judicial System - What Is the Cause? Is There a Remedy? | Office of Justice Programs ; An Overloaded Criminal Justice System Responds to a Public Health Crisis - Council on Criminal Justice
…. is “evidence of this supposed "problem" of people's attitudes and selfishness”.)

Humorous, but flippant.

You’re right, many are taught that.

But such a view is not mine, nor is it among any Jehovah’s Witnesses that I know. Maybe a few are misinformed in this regard.
However, we do think that mankind is not reaching its full potential, at the moment.
But we believe this will change, soon.

I think you know there’s much disagreement among those professing to follow Christ. You can’t make sweeping generalizations, and apply it to all of them.
Homo sapiens is the species that "install laws & judicial systems."

We are not alone among the animals in our desire for justice and fairness:

Wild Justice: The Moral Lives of Animals by Marc Bekoff and Jessica Pierce, an excerpt
Animals Band Together to Overthrow Despots
Why Do You Care About Fairness? Ask A Chimp
https://www.wellbeingintlstudiesrepository.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1003&context=soccog

So there goes that one.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Wow, you found exceptions.

So, if you equate yourself with animals, do you eat meat?
And would you eat a human?

If you were caught in a fire along with a human stranger and your pet baby puppy which you dearly love, but could only save one... which one would you save?
I guess it wouldn’t matter to you, huh?

If it does matter which one..why?

ppp

Social mammals have a sense of morality. It's what allows the to be social.

Are you under the impression that all social meat eating mammals are cannibals?
If you were caught in a fire along with a human stranger and your pet baby puppy which you dearly love, but could only save one... which one would you save?
Members of any social species tend to favor their own species over others. That is pretty obvious.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, I found examples and answered your question.
Social animals are often found to have a sense of justice or fairness, because that was part of their evolution.
But even if it is only humans, so what? What's your point?

I am an animal. As are you. Human animals, as the other poster pointed out.

I have no idea why you've asked me such a bizarre question. Are you under the impression that social animals eat each other?

I suppose if I were in a situation where I was stranded in the Andes Mountains like those Chilean soccer players and I was starving to death, I'd probably consider eating one of the dead humans, if it would save my life and help me to save others' lives.

I guess it wouldn’t matter to you, huh?
I would try to save whichever I could. Hopefully both. If I could only reach the human, I'd still be completely devastated that I lost my dog.
What's your point here?

If it does matter which one..why?
This is all in response to your question: "What species of animal, install laws & judicial systems in support of the unique sense of justice we innately have?"
I was trying to get to whatever point you were trying to make.

stanberger

Or so says a very large international scale study.
https://phys.org/news/2022-04-disbelief-human-evolution-linked-greater.html

Excerpts are quoted below

We see that here is an example of how a scientifically grounded insight into our origins and connections to the rest of humanity and the living world can open our minds and hearts into becoming a better human being.

The study also destroys the claim that somehow belief in evolution is a detriment to our moral character. In fact it is established now that the opposite us true. Disbelief in the scientific understanding of human nature is far more likely to create worse human beings regardless of religious beliefs or ethnicities.

What say others?

Adding the original paper link
APA PsycNet
quran ' and man was created from the earth in stages ' quran confirms evolution

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
quran ' and man was created from the earth in stages ' quran confirms evolution
Not this again.
The Quran does not say that. And that does not describe evolution anyway.
There is nothing in the Quran that suggests anything like evolution.
The Quran says that Allah moulded man from potter's clay and breathed life into him - a common creation myth from earlier cultures.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Not this again.
The Quran does not say that. And that does not describe evolution anyway.
There is nothing in the Quran that suggests anything like evolution.
The Quran says that Allah moulded man from potter's clay and breathed life into him - a common creation myth from earlier cultures.
And surveys show that most Muslims do not believe in the basic ToE.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Members of any social species tend to favor their own species over others. That is pretty obvious.

Maybe...but we as humans exceed that, don’t we?

Generally, we humans want to care for animals, to feed them and care for them.

Why? Because we are designed with that function. It is the rule with us, but there are exceptions
Not all of us fit into that parameter....But when some humans are found torturing animals, they are considered not normal & put under observation... ostracized, because those behaviors may eventually extend to humans.

But in answer to your statement, other social animals, like chimpanzees, are known for cannibalism. And they face no repercussions.

Grief. Unbelievable that this needs to be explained.

Of all species where it is assumed that they share close ancestry,
there is no greater gulf existing than that between Ape & Human.
Our structure of society which includes its provisions for justice is evidence enough, let alone our ability of conscience.

Last edited:

ppp

Maybe...but we as humans exceed that, don’t we?

Generally, we humans want to care for animals, to feed them and care for them.
Exceed that? No, Symbiotic and commensal relationships exist throughout the animal kingdom. And don't forget we eat animals. We make them do work for us. We use their skins and their fur. We grind up their body parts and eat them to supposedly improve our sex lives. We sacrifice their bodies to our gods.

Exceed that? No. Definitely not,

But in answer to your statement, other social animals, like chimpanzees, are known for cannibalism. And they face no repercussions.
Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. Same can be said for humans. On the other hand, it's very rare in orangutans and non existent in gorillas.
Of all species where it is assumed that they share close ancestry,
there is no greater gulf existing than that between Ape & Human.
Whatever real or alleged differences, ancestry is demonstrated. Not assumed.

Grief. Unbelievable that this needs to be explained.
You didn't explain anything. Even were your statements wholly correct, they were too disconnected to constitute an explanation. You are simply trying make humans non-animals through implication and innuendo, rather than by a logical thru line.
Our structure of society which includes its provisions for justice is evidence enough, let alone our ability of conscience.
Nah. We just have a more complicated system. If more complicated is all that you mean, I am unimpressed.

Btw, until you can demonstrate that you have actual knowledge of the social structures of other mammalian social species, your supposed comparisons are not credible.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
For @sayak83
Regarding your title,
“Belief in human evolution makes people better persons”….

So, it is a belief, huh?

And all this time, I’ve been told it isn’t a belief.