• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief in god/a higher power but not afterlife

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Do some people on this forum believe in God/a higher power but not in a afterlife?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Truth be told, I am an uneasy agnostic when it comes to god and an unrepentant atheist when it comes to an afterlife.

Starlight

I believe in God and a afterlife but i am certain god exist, but I am not certain a afterlife exist

I know i answered my own question :confused:

ecco

Veteran Member
What would be the purpose?

Most of the attraction of religions is the promise that there is something better than the wretched life humans must endure for a comparatively short period of time (or a series of comparatively short periods of time) before the big guy in the sky finally lets you in for ever.

On the flip side, if you're naughty you get a lump of coal in your stocking and forever in a really horrible place.

Starlight

What would be the purpose?

Most of the attraction of religions is the promise that there is something better than the wretched life humans must endure for a comparatively short period of time (or a series of comparatively short periods of time) before the big guy in the sky finally lets you in for ever.

On the flip side, if you're naughty you get a lump of coal in your stocking and forever in a really horrible place.
Love for God. I love God very much even if their is no afterlife or if im going to hell

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Do some people on this forum believe in God/a higher power but not in a afterlife?
I happen to believe in an afterlife not because of theological beliefs but because of the Afterlife Evidence.

If we are just physical beings the question of God or not would not even matter to me. What difference would it make? It would just be a curiosity.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Most of the attraction of religions is the promise that there is something better than the wretched life humans must endure for a comparatively short period of time
I disagree. From a Christian POV, it’s really about the here and now. Jesus’ gospel message was: “Turn your lives around. God’s imperial rule has come near.”

sojourner

Yes. I'm one of them (assuming you allow "higher powers" plural to count - I'm not a monotheist). I view existence as a continuity. There isn't a "before" and "after" to it - or rather the "before" and "after" is a matter of perspective.
The Celtic cyclical nature of the world.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I disagree. From a Christian POV, it’s really about the here and now. Jesus’ gospel message was: “Turn your lives around. God’s imperial rule has come near.”

Really? When I was a christian, the emphasis I noticed was in forever after, and that this life was a drop in the bucket compared to the kingdom of heaven.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The Celtic cyclical nature of the world.

Yeah, there are themes of cyclicality in what is known of that lore. But in truth, my Druidry is far more inspired by the sciences than it is by the old lore. Cyclicality is everywhere when you study the sciences in the sense that creation ex nihilo isn't a thing. Matter and energy change shape and form, cycling from one thing to another; perpetually as far as human lifetimes are concerned.

I do also acknowledge the reality of the otherworlds and that can get into something vaguely resembling an "afterlife" but not in the sense that the OP probably means. The otherworlds collectively are too wibbly - concepts of time and space don't meaningfully apply even if one is journeying to established territories that some lore calls an "afterlife." At least in my experience.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

That depends on what you mean by an "afterlife". If it requires a living, conscious part of a human being that separates from the body at death, then no, the Bible does not teach this. But if you mean a restoration of life by means of a resurrection, then yes.....that is the only "afterlife" taught in scripture.

sojourner

Yeah, there are themes of cyclicality in what is known of that lore. But in truth, my Druidry is far more inspired by the sciences than it is by the old lore. Cyclicality is everywhere when you study the sciences in the sense that creation ex nihilo isn't a thing. Matter and energy change shape and form, cycling from one thing to another; perpetually as far as human lifetimes are concerned.

I do also acknowledge the reality of the otherworlds and that can get into something vaguely resembling an "afterlife" but not in the sense that the OP probably means. The otherworlds collectively are too wibbly - concepts of time and space don't meaningfully apply even if one is journeying to established territories that some lore calls an "afterlife." At least in my experience.
Thank you for that.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
With respect, no wonder you’ve come away with that as the take-away. But those sects are not a representative majority of the religion.

True. In the US, though, it is. Not the legalist/fundamentalist aspect, but definitely the baptist/evangelical/non denominational aspect.

amorphous_constellation

This life we live, is one segment of life.. and the life that comes after it, would merely be a different segment. What came before it, your before-life, was a segment. The druids said that this life is but one small part of a very long journey. The question is, what comes after that journey

ecco

Veteran Member
Love for God. I love God very much even if their is no afterlife or if im going to hell

Start a religious sect based on the God you believe in. Make it clear that there is no afterlife - just love for God while the person is alive.

I'll bet you don't get too many followers.