1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief and lack of belief

Discussion in 'Atheism DIR' started by Jaiket, Nov 15, 2021.

?
  1. I simply lack belief in gods

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. I believe that there are no gods

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I have some other ideas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jaiket

Jaiket Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,758
    Religion:
    Something else
    The atheism definition wars have been raging again. I don't have the energy for getting involved so much but I am a little curious about how atheists see their atheism.

For the record, I really only consider atheism that comes from thinking about the case for God and rejecting it to be atheism. This is something of an aesthetic preference for me and if you call yourself an atheist and have mananged to simply not acquire a belief either way then by all means have at it. It's not my place to tell you what words you can use, I can only tell you how I use them.

So for me, I believe the case for God is unconvincing. I believe that God very probably there are no gods. Or put slightly different, I believe that it is very unlikely that anything like any of the god ideas I've been exposed to exist independently of the minds that conveyed them to me.

How about you?

Maybe the distinction is misleading. Maybe everybody is sick talking about it. But given how important it seems to some, I was wondering how many people fall into each camp.

2. Orbit

Orbit I'm a planet

Ratings:
    +2,292
    Religion:
    Dinner
    I voted for simple lack of belief. I come down on the "can't be known" side.

3. Kfox

Kfox Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Religion:
    Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, etc
    I think a lot of religious people make the mistake of assuming because religion is important in their lives, that atheism must just as important in our lives; it is not. Theism affects the theist life concerning the decisions they make, their morality, their entire world view; atheism is nothing to me, it is just a label theists think about but I don't unless asked. religion is not an issue for me thus neither is atheism

4. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,411
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    I vary from ignoticism to apatheism.

A lot of times, it seems like the question of the existence of God(s) is simply not meaningful. It isn't simply that the existence hasn't been shown, it is that it seems to not make any sense at all.

Other times, I simply don't care: it would not affect how I live my life either way.