• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being omniscient vs living in a free reality?

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Can there exist being omniscient and living in a free reality at the same time? Seems it would be impossible for both to be true.

1. When a decision is made in our mind is it predicted or unpredictable, how can it be known what we will do unless we've done it before or are controlled to do it. Either case no true free will is possible. .... I.e. the devil entering and controlling Judas to betray Christ.. or knowing Peter's future act.. thou shalt deny me thrice...

2. If the future can be seen then we are replaying future history like a frames in a movie. Then no true free reality is possible. I.e. I knew you the before you were born...

3. If we have freedom to choose because we were told a prophecy, than there would spawn an alternate path or reality, and also no known future could be seen from that point. Therefore no true omniscience is possible if free will exist.

So also If an omniscient God exist ... than the idea one has the freedom to choose his reward or penalty would be deceptive... freedom to burn in hell forever for the denial of Jesus Christ or do what ever in Heaven for faith in Jesus Christ is already stamp in time...

By every observation there are simply too many variables that can be known leading to ones future decisions including decisions in a sound or unsound mental state.

The idea of being omniscient, to know everything past present and future is just unrealistic on any scale. It was created by good imagination. I.e. like writers developing Captain Marvel ...

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I think many things that lie beyond our comprehension to understand are both viable and possible.

We humans have finite minds with finite understanding and limitations on how much we can understand and the biggest mistake I think a lot of us make when we deny there is an all Knowing omniscient God is we fail to take into account our human limitations which prevent us from understanding that which is beyond our capabilities to fully grasp.

PureX

Veteran Member
It can be both. For us, clearly there is free will, because we cannot know what choices we will make until we make them, or what outcomes they will generate. Yet, if there were some omniscient entity, and if omniscience includes that which does not yet exist or have occurred (I see no reason that it must) then I suppose that entity would be trapped within that knowledge. And there would be no 'free will' from it's perspective.

Someone or something else knowing what we will do does not negate the fact that we do not know. Thus, our free will remains, enabled. Even if it does not, to some external, omniscient, being.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Can there exist being omniscient and living in a free reality at the same time? Seems it would be impossible for both to be true.

1. When a decision is made in our mind is it predicted or unpredictable, how can it be known what we will do unless we've done it before or are controlled to do it. Either case no true free will is possible. .... I.e. the devil entering and controlling Judas to betray Christ.. or knowing Peter's future act.. thou shalt deny me thrice...

2. If the future can be seen then we are replaying future history like a frames in a movie. Then no true free reality is possible. I.e. I knew you the before you were born...

3. If we have freedom to choose because we were told a prophecy, than there would spawn an alternate path or reality, and also no known future could be seen from that point. Therefore no true omniscience is possible if free will exist.

So also If an omniscient God exist ... than the idea one has the freedom to choose his reward or penalty would be deceptive... freedom to burn in hell forever for the denial of Jesus Christ or do what ever in Heaven for faith in Jesus Christ is already stamp in time...

By every observation there are simply too many variables that can be known leading to ones future decisions including decisions in a sound or unsound mental state.

The idea of being omniscient, to know everything past present and future is just unrealistic on any scale. It was created by good imagination. I.e. like writers developing Captain Marvel ...

I suppose it might be something like trying to predict the weather. If we're talking about an entity which can know and process everyone's thoughts and feelings, even that of animals and plants - along with controlling the elements, weather, and other variables since the beginning of time, then it might be easier to predict. As to what kind of being or entity could process everything like some kind of giant supercomputer on a cosmic scale - that's anybody's guess, if such a being actually exists.

I'm not sure how much of our existence would constitute "free reality." From what I can tell, we exist as virtual prisoners inside a relatively tiny air bubble floating through the vast emptiness of space. We are organisms which require copious amounts of food, water, air, and sleep on a daily basis - just so we can survive at a minimal existence. That, to me, is self-evident whether we consider the possibility of some kind of sentient "creator" or not.

If we assume that some kind of creator set it all up this way, then our existence may be more of a controlled experiment than anything else. We may have "free choice," but only within an extremely limited framework, just like rats in a maze trying to find a path to the cheese.

We may be able to choose one path or another, but the fact that we need the cheese to survive - we have no real choice on that (unless we choose to die). And when so much of our time and energy is spent just on survival, it creates a certain level of apprehension, stress, fear, physical/emotional pain - putting our fragile organisms under such duress that our ability to make "free choices" can be compromised or diminished.