• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being objective in religion

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you want to spread your religion or have a better understanding of yours, I think it helps to be objective.

Objective means, "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts."

I would redefine it as, "conveyed with reasons that will make sense to many different people instead of something that other people don't know what is good about".

If we have reasons to give for what we believe in our religions, we have a better chance of passing them off. Sometimes part of the religion is believed because it is a piece of the whole religion which has reasons.

Now that I am baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I hope to be objective so people can have a chance to fairly decide if they like my religion. I believe that you can only know something as well as you know the opposite to be wrong, so I will talk about many other things besides just the LDS Church in my efforts.
Sounds like you're taling about the Outsider Test for Faith. It's generally seen as a route to atheism.

Debunking Christianity: The Outsider Test for Faith

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
"Mystical" and "magical" have no relationship with one another. I hope you're willing to understand that attempts to correlate the two, are rooted in fundamentalist / Protestant hatred. Always have been.
I had no intention of mixing the two words or creating hatred towards fundamentalists/protestants.
The best way to be objective when it comes to religion is to accept that it is subjective.
Every decision has a reason; I think you are trying to say that that reason doesn't work with other people. Well, if you can find the reasons that do work with other people, you can help your religion a lot.
Sounds like a great idea, but very hard to execute.
Very worthwhile though.
Nobody knows squat
Finding objective reasons for your faith can help you know more than squat.
Thank you AxeElf.
They certainly tend to think they do, they act as if they can't define all of existence from their living-room chair they might explode.
We're not going to all convert in a day! There are many things I still don't know, but I believe I have found some objective reasons already. On to page 2.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I would debate that objective religion is a total fabrication.
Go ahead and debate it... you can try to be objective.
Oh now, you are complaining about normal. The intellect tends to fall deeply in love of its own reflection. If it didnt artists would have no purpose!
God gave us our brains for a reason... he likes when we use them!
To me being objective means being an atheist. I can look at the core idea behind all of these religions without having a belief invested in any of them. No personal bias about having a need for anyone of them to be true.

Probably not what you meant but I suppose it works the same if'ing I held a particular desire to spread atheism.
You can be atheist for now and still practice religions to see what becomes of you... then maybe you won't stay atheist.
I believe that the further disconnected, or away from something you are, the more you can be objective. So, like a marriage counsellor in a marriage counselling situation, has a much higher likelihood of remaining objective than either person directly involved.
Good point.
all i am saying here below image is how religion tends to present itself today. Just saying...

It has clueless leadership selected by clueless individuals in the pews. Religion isnt alone in that but it does seem to attempt to perfect it.
Why don't you present an objective argument?
How do you be objective about religion when the definition of it varies by person and thereby will always be subjective?

How do you be objective when someone says god-saved-him?

You can ask for the logic behind it. However, the logic would be based on the criteria that believer has not the person asking.
Everyone has their individual religion too and again if they can find out how to be objective about it it will prosper as well.
On to page 3.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Go ahead and debate it... you can try to be objective.

God gave us our brains for a reason... he likes when we use them!

You can be atheist for now and still practice religions to see what becomes of you... then maybe you won't stay atheist.

Good point.

Why don't you present an objective argument?

Everyone has their individual religion too and again if they can find out how to be objective about it it will prosper as well.
On to page 3.

How do you be objective over religion when, by nature, it is subjective?

How do you ask for a definition for a word but don't take into account the context that defines its meaning?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Sounds like you're taling about the Outsider Test for Faith. It's generally seen as a route to atheism.

Sorry I don't have time to read that but what you are saying makes perfect sense but might not be true.

Whether outsiders will find your faith is a sensible argument for atheism. 40% of Americans are non-religious, making a good case that people generally follow atheism. But what people generally follow and what is correct are two separate things. If I become more objective with my faith then my hope is that I will give these atheists a good chance to decide fairly whether or not they will choose my faith.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
How do you be objective over religion when, by nature, it is subjective?
For instance, with faith in Jesus Christ, I look at recordings about Him and decide they are worthwhile to practice taking into consideration every other source of truth I know. John 3:16 - to believe in Christ to me means that I live His way because it is something I want to do. Then I will see if I can see as He did and know as He knew and other things as He did.
How do you ask for a definition for a word but don't take into account the context that defines its meaning?
I'm sorry what do you mean?

Audie

Veteran Member
Proof is a thing of the intellect. The intellect has it's uses, but finding new knowledge or insight isn't one of them. It does know how to regurgitate.
Odd ideas, yours. In the event, I was not talking "intellect"
which is, brw, most of what stands beteeen us and the gibbon,
or the wombat.

And it is good for a lot more than to merely
"regutgitate", as you so charmingly put it,
however little use some make of what they
have.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Odd ideas, yours. In the event, I was not talking "intellect"
which is, brw, most of what stands beteeen us and the gibbon,
or the wombat.

And it is good for a lot more than to merely
"regutgitate", as you so charmingly put it,
however little use some make of what they
have.
Many of life's decisions aren't based on intellect. Instinct and intuition play stronger roles than anyone would like to admit. The intellect practically denies the existence of the other two. Again, not a bad thing, just a different area of consciousness/mind.

Audie

Veteran Member
Many of life's decisions aren't based on intellect. Instinct and intuition play stronger roles than anyone would like to admit. The intellect practically denies the existence of the other two. Again, not a bad thing, just a different area of consciousness/mind.

Everything up to ""intellect" is news of the extremely obvious
and well known.

Second sentence, speak for yourself,
I am not into self deception, and you
really dont know about others.

"Practically denies"?

You may deny that you just make
things up, but...

David T

Premium Member
Priesthood in the Catholic Church - Wikipedia
"In the United States, priests must have a

Harvard is the #1 rated university for philosophy in the U.S.
I undergraded in theology and so what is your point exactly? We arent talking auto mechanics computer technology etc.

So i might say you dont understand what i have said. I mean after all, surely a highly read and educated individual by some magical powers invested in the university are able to easily decifer a 2,000 year old story written by a multiple of people over an expanse of time about a simple carpenter, who never wrote a single word. Please you mock the text as if its a simplistic intellectual issue. And apparently university breeds pedophiles in excess of the general population. Highly trained eh! Where were the phd genius' when real things are happening around them? Reading rhe bible and writing lame theories on the text? Out to lunch.

Please tell me about the thomas narrative what is that exactly?

Last edited: