• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being More Observant

Ellen Brown

I converted to Islam in 2005 but over the years strayed, thinking about Christianity again, not committing to it in my heart. In the end my lack of trust of Christians was well founded. Started calling myself an Abrahamic Relgionist because I just could not figure it out.

During Ramadan I started to move toward reconciling with Islam and even going to the Masjid. At an EID, it was clear that local Mosques are having a full blown fitnah...

Stepping back. Not getting involved. Make my own heart more pleasing to Allah SWT.

sooda

Veteran Member
I converted to Islam in 2005 but over the years strayed, thinking about Christianity again, not committing to it in my heart. In the end my lack of trust of Christians was well founded. Started calling myself an Abrahamic Relgionist because I just could not figure it out.

During Ramadan I started to move toward reconciling with Islam and even going to the Masjid. At an EID, it was clear that local Mosques are having a full blown fitnah...

Stepping back. Not getting involved. Make my own heart more pleasing to Allah SWT.

Fitnah? In what sense?

Ellen Brown

Fitnah? In what sense?

There is a power and philosophy struggle among the half dozen or so Masjids in the Metropolitan area. Asaber has been the very conservative Masjid in the area. Now it seems there is a move to make Islam more moderate in our area, and frankly there are lots of immigrant Muslims who come here from areas that are torn apart by strife. My own 'opinion' is that radical Hanafi Muslims are the source of the strife.

I'll likely just stay out of it.

sooda

Veteran Member
There is a power and philosophy struggle among the half dozen or so Masjids in the Metropolitan area. Asaber has been the very conservative Masjid in the area. Now it seems there is a move to make Islam more moderate in our area, and frankly there are lots of immigrant Muslims who come here from areas that are torn apart by strife. My own 'opinion' is that radical Hanafi Muslims are the source of the strife.

I'll likely just stay out of it.

I'd like to know more about that.

Hanafi (light green) is the Sunni school predominant in Turkey, the Western Middle East, Western and Nile river region of Egypt, Central Asia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and parts of Southeast Europe, India, China and Russia. An estimated one-third of all Muslims worldwide follow Hanafi law.
Hanafi - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanafi

Ellen Brown

Hanafi (light green) is the Sunni school predominant in Turkey, the Western Middle East, Western and Nile river region of Egypt, Central Asia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and parts of Southeast Europe, India, China and Russia. An estimated one-third of all Muslims worldwide follow Hanafi law.
Hanafi - Wikipedia

I don't know much more. Those from Asaber seem to be from Somalia, KSA, and some Egyptians, and seem extremely conservative. There is a school in Portland that does Islamic teaching and lots of Math, English and Science too. I know the Principle and he has been very kind to me. He is Yemini.

There is a Shia Masjid also that I've attended. I am neither Sunni or Shia and avoid those who have anything bad to say about the other.

I don't know much more. Those from Asaber seem to be from Somalia, KSA, and some Egyptians, and seem extremely conservative. There is a school in Portland that does Islamic teaching and lots of Math, English and Science too. I know the Principle and he has been very kind to me. He is Yemini.

There is a Shia Masjid also that I've attended. I am neither Sunni or Shia and avoid those who have anything bad to say about the other.

Yemenite Shi'ite Islam is the closest among the Shia to Sunni Islam and Yemenis in general are very warm and kind people. Somalis and Egyptians can be very full on in their approach to Islam indeed.

Hanafi - Wikipedia

I think she means Hanbali- Hanafi is what the Bosnians follow and does not tend to be that strict at all, Hanbali is what the Saudis follow and is often (very) over the top.

Ellen Brown

I think she means Hanbali- Hanafi is what the Bosnians follow and does not tend to be that strict at all, Hanbali is what the Saudis follow and is often (very) over the top.

I converted into a very conservative type of Islam because I did not know any better. After a short while, it was too much for me. As I resume observance of Islam, radical, extremely conservative types are to be avoided.

We had to wear all black, and gloves, and socks. A few were Niqabis, but for me it was too much while driving a car. My opinion is that Muhammad PBUH was very kind and reasonable within his group. As to his being a bandit and robber as some historians say, I don't believe it.

Yesterday, at EID, I had to fight being judgmental because many of the women did not put on their Hijab until they walked into the hall, wearing heels that I could not manage at my age. It is not easy, and I will pick my way, seeking to please Allah SWT, only.

I'm American, born here, and I think that lots of Immigrants have come here and adapted to our culture, not seeking to make it weird. Many of the Muslims that have come to America have fled the strife and violence in their own country. That should not be brought here.

Wasp

I converted into a very conservative type of Islam because I did not know any better. After a short while, it was too much for me. As I resume observance of Islam, radical, extremely conservative types are to be avoided.

We had to wear all black, and gloves, and socks. A few were Niqabis, but for me it was too much while driving a car. My opinion is that Muhammad PBUH was very kind and reasonable within his group. As to his being a bandit and robber as some historians say, I don't believe it.

Yesterday, at EID, I had to fight being judgmental because many of the women did not put on their Hijab until they walked into the hall, wearing heels that I could not manage at my age. It is not easy, and I will pick my way, seeking to please Allah SWT, only.

I'm American, born here, and I think that lots of Immigrants have come here and adapted to our culture, not seeking to make it weird. Many of the Muslims that have come to America have fled the strife and violence in their own country. That should not be brought here.
So you should be an example to them.

Why let conflicting selfish interests of other people affect your worship?

Would think you'd be lonely as a Muslim if you avoid those who have something bad to say about sunni or shia, unless you're flexible in what is bad and what is an expression of an opinion. No?

You must have a leaning to one of the two. And if you believe in it you must disbelieve in something in the other. That doesn't require conflict or cutting off friendships though.

The idea of making Islam more moderate is awful. There's no such thing as moderate Islam.