• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Christian

anonymous9887

bible reader
This thread is to discuss what being a Christian is all about. I think that I have found some fundamentals that all Christians can agree on. This also includes what to expect as Christians.

Being a Christian includes:
1. Bible based prayer ( prayer defined as what the scriptures say is acceptable) Matthew 6:9-13; Philippians 4:6; 1 Peter 5:6,7
2. Read and contemplate on YHWH's word (Deuteronomy 6:17, Joshua 1:8, Psalms 1:2,3; Isaiah 48:17,18; Matthew 4:4 here Jesus quotes from Deuteronomy, 2 Timothy 3:16,17)
3. Keeping clean, undefiled conduct and abstaining from activities that support unscriptural practices as best we can (also defined by scripture as to what is clean or unclean) Romans 6:1,2; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
4. Love for neighbor (good works towards other people) Mark 12:28-31
5. Sanctifying YHWH's(also known as Jehovah or Yahweh) name( meaning his actual name, reputation, character, and fame) Matthew 6:9. Sanctifying gods name would include making known his purpose and explaining why things are the way they are, and showing people who god really is. Matthew 28:19,20

What to expect as a Christian
- You can expect to be made fun of for your faith
- You can expect people to use abusive language towards you
-People may attempt to or actually murder you or your loved ones because of your faith
-You could potentially experience torture by other people
-You can expect to be arrested for your beliefs
-To stop living in harmony with fleshly desires condemned in the bible
- You can expect to give up some of your worldly activities
- You can expect not to disrespect or injure in any manner anyone including those that do harm to you or your family
- You can expect to constantly be contemplating on gods word
- Your family, friends and those around you might not approve your message and may reject you
-You will still have life's normal problems on top of the persecutions because of your faith, so a death of a loved one, illnesses, lack of resources, and all the problems we face in life.
- You may have to endure all these trials with no human being at your side
-You will constantly be self examining yourself in order to make sure you are keeping chaste conduct
-your focus will be to make god known to others while also performing good deeds toward others
-you can expect to fall short from gods word
-you can expect to constantly be applying gods word

The benefits
-
Everlasting life with no suffering Revelation 21:3,4

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Being a Christian means to be "Christ like." To that end it is about following the two commandments Jesus gave us in the NT: love God, love people.

Anything else is being a member of a particular denomination.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Being a Christian means to be "Christ like." To that end it is about following the two commandments Jesus gave us in the NT: love God, love people.

Anything else is being a member of a particular denomination.
I meant thanks for stating your position, but consider this
1. Jesus said to live from every word that comes from YHWH's mouth
2. What exactly encompasses loving YHWH your god with all your heart mind and soul, and what exactly encompasses loving your neighbor?
3. I agree with you, but i am saying that we are taught to fulfill these commandments by the word of god itself, otherwise we are making these definitions with our own understanding and not the bible. In a nut shell the bible defines what it means to love god and how to love your neighbor

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe you forgot being Christian means ignoring any differences of opinion. Whose opinion? Yours, of course.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Paul's back! Welcome back. Are you still a Jehovah's Witness/JW sympathizer?
Well i do associate with them, because they are correct on fundamental teachings like god not being a trinity, hell fire, and they are good Christians.
They are preaching gods coming kingdom as we are instructed to, I have trouble with the prophetic stuff though.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
or truth i should say scratch opinion
Good catch! Bible truth does not exist on paper. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Can anything in the Bible give life? Can a person follow every Bible command for life but without Jesus?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I meant thanks for stating your position, but consider this
1. Jesus said to live from every word that comes from YHWH's mouth
2. What exactly encompasses loving YHWH your god with all your heart mind and soul, and what exactly encompasses loving your neighbor?
3. I agree with you, but i am saying that we are taught to fulfill these commandments by the word of god itself, otherwise we are making these definitions with our own understanding and not the bible. In a nut shell the bible defines what it means to love god and how to love your neighbor

Ok, but which translation of the Bible is God's word? Don't even say the NWT. You don't want to go there.

English was not a language at the time of Moses, much less Jesus.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Good catch! Bible truth does not exist on paper. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Can anything in the Bible give life? Can a person follow every Bible command for life but without Jesus?
Not the actual paper, its gods and Jesus words recorded for us in the bible, obedience to the words they spoke lead to life, and following christ example leads to life

anonymous9887

bible reader
Ok, but which translation of the Bible is God's word? Don't even say the NWT. You don't want to go there.

English was not a language at the time of Moses, much less Jesus.
The oldest copies we have are the final authority we have. translations are not a final authority, but make it easier, then you could do the hebrew and greek text analysis

anonymous9887

bible reader
Are all the words in the Bible "words God and Jesus spoke" in your opinion?
I believe that the overall message in the bible was protected, there are few scribal errors, but for the most part it was preserved. the scribal errors have no bearing on the meaning of the text.