• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Christian and Gay

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
As a child I was taught to believe in myself, in family and in God. To a confused adolescent struggling with his sexuality, that was easier said than done.
Being the victim of constant and severe bullying due to my perceived sexuality, I developed a strong aversion to organized religion. After all, every religious voice I heard in my youth - whether it was from the pulpit or in the news - told me that I was evil and that there was something wrong with me.

My heart said otherwise. As I later learned, so did God.

Whatever God means to you, however you define or choose not to define it, having a sense of spirit in your life, I believe, is essential.

I know that when I was without it, I was truly lost. When I found it again, my life took on a richer meaning that I hope and pray my husband and I will successfully be able to pass on to Nicholas.

As for those who do not understand my family, or perhaps have heard from their own religious leaders that my family is somehow threatening to their peaceful way of life, I hope that they will learn something from our story.

As my husband Gary says, people are far more similar than we are different. I believe that more and more every day.

Article here

Just wanted to share it.

I am a gay ex-Christian. I have much sympathy for these two men in the article because I myself can relate to it.

The year that I came out, I decided that I wanted to take my boyfriend to the Church's Christmas Social. We were going to show them our love, and we didn't want to hide it. We didn't want to be repressed. Well what followed was six months of ostracizing, patronizing, attempted "interventions" and even several hate-mails, one from the Pastor's very own son!

Eventually, for other reasons, I decided not to believe in sky fairies and little red pitcfork carrying cave monsters who live underground, but I know a lot of LGBTQI people who are still somewhat religious. The ironic thing is that while others are busy preaching hate over a single issue, others are preaching what Jesus preached - acceptance and tolerance. The LGBTQI Christians are the true Christians, not the bigots and homophobes.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm so sorry you were treated that way, Antifascist. (I can't begin to imagine what the "intervention" was like.)

My brother was all set to take his final vows as a Catholic priest. I was a little girl at the time, so I don't remember much in the way of details, but I DO remember some of the drama that ensued once he realized he wasn't being honest with himself. After some soul searching, he figured out who he was (not who he was supposed to be) and then came out to my mother and older siblings.

We've never discussed it at length, but I know it was a terrible time for him.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I was a gay Christian, so I too share their feelings. I grew up Episcopalian, who are of course, welcoming of gays. It wasn't hard for me to come out to my church. Coming out to my dad was harder. He has always been a diehard conservative.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm sorry too. You're young though. Perhaps that will change as you both age.

My mother was not cool with it in the beginning. She never disowned my brother or anything drastic ~ she'd never do that in a million years ~ but she wasn't happy. She insisted that no one tell my father, so he didn't officially know for years. He's pretty smart though, so I'm quite sure he knew all along but just didn't say anything to avoid rocking the boat with my mom.

I'll save the drama and fast forward to present day. They are both just fine with it. In fact, they love my brother's friends, and when my brother's partner was dying of AIDS, my parents stayed with them to help care for him. It's almost like those early years never happened.

Things may change for you too. Hang on. :hug:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's sad Senedjem.:kissbette
It's is very sad that religious conservatives have such a grudge against homosexuals, and what makes it worse is they usually for whatever reason won't open their mind, their eyes, or their hearts to realize that the only thing that is bad for society is the bigotry and hatred towards the gay community.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Hail Senedjem!

Hey bro, look you are a beautiful person. Please, don't let any closed minded fool tell you that you are less of a person because your gay. Imagine how my parents reacted when I came out to them as a Satanist/Black Magician when I was about 17-years old. At first it was a nightmare, but soon they came around because they new I Am what I Am and that I will never forsake the Truth of my own Being for anybody or anything.

I'm sure there are some christian sects that are tolerant of gay members of their congregations. But always know, if you have the strength of Being, you are always welcome in the Realm of the Left-Hand Path.:yes::bat:

/Adramelek\
Knight of the Black Order

Comicaze247

See the previous line
A religion that preaches love for thy neighbor and not judging others should not take any hateful actions, especially against fellow believers, gay or not.

can i just ask do you belive you can be gay and be a christian ?

YES.
You can even replace the word Gay with any word you choose(any life style, religion,
or non religion)and my answer would still be undeniably YES.

As a matter of fact I see more Christ like love in them than I ever did in all of the
christian churches, denominations, and religious circles that I have ever been a part of.

I am trying to understand how gay people in my religion can reconcile their homosexuality with Islam.
The only verses in the Qur'an that seem to speak of homosexuality are that of the story of Prophet Lut (as). You know them as the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. I have a gay brother who lives in Indonesia and he has a lover. Both are Muslim. I don't know what to feel. I love them both, and wish for them the best. :(