• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being an Adult

Tmac

When we are younger, it is often heard , when you grow up, when you become an adult as a reason that prohibited someone from "X". Unfortunately, it has become a belief that one becomes an adult by just by living "X" years. So essentially we don't change, we just get older and we are awared adulthood becoming nothing more than old children thinknig we are adults as witnessed on this forum.
Now I don't believe that this guy, the auther of "Once I was a child I did... blah blah but then I became an adult and put away childish things" was the only one to think about being an adult as different form being an old child but I can't find them at the moment but I too believe that age is not the determining factor that distinguishes the child from the adult. I already know what the clowns are going to say but if there are any adult, even adult wannabes, I would like to know if the definition of adult needs to be updated?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far as I know, there aren't a whole lot of adults who think adulthood come automatically with age. Why on earth do you think most people are unaware of that?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't know. I still wear Tripp pants (the black/baggy pants with chains), dress up once a month as an elf, play video games, and have no children of my own. I'm probably not the best one to ask about what this "adult" thing is you speak of.:p

Tmac

So far as I know, there aren't a whole lot of adults who think adulthood come automatically with age. Why on earth do you think most people are unaware of that?

Do you want to answer my question or do you want to talk about what you want to talk about. And if you were able to read my post it would be understood that being an adult doesn't come with age but with putting away childish behavior. The simple definition of an adult (at present) is reaching maturity, where maturity is considered an age.

Tmac

I don't know. I still wear Tripp pants (the black/baggy pants with chains), dress up once a month as an elf, play video games, and have no children of my own. I'm probably not the best one to ask about what this "adult" thing is you speak of.:p

Thanks for your answer but I was hoping to hear from an adult. Why were you attracted by the title of the post?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you want to answer my question or do you want to talk about what you want to talk about. And if you were able to read my post it would be understood that being an adult doesn't come with age but with putting away childish behavior. The simple definition of an adult (at present) is reaching maturity, where maturity is considered an age.

I think your making a mountain out of a molehill. Sure, some people might think being an adult is all about reaching a certain age -- say, the legal age of adulthood. But really, how many people honestly think that's all there is to it?

Tmac

I think your making a mountain out of a molehill. Sure, some people might think being an adult is all about reaching a certain age -- say, the legal age of adulthood. But really, how many people honestly think that's all there is to it?

Is an adult that behaves childishly considered an adult?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
When we are younger, it is often heard , when you grow up, when you become an adult as a reason that prohibited someone from "X". Unfortunately, it has become a belief that one becomes an adult by just by living "X" years. So essentially we don't change, we just get older and we are awared adulthood becoming nothing more than old children thinknig we are adults as witnessed on this forum.
Now I don't believe that this guy, the auther of "Once I was a child I did... blah blah but then I became an adult and put away childish things" was the only one to think about being an adult as different form being an old child but I can't find them at the moment but I too believe that age is not the determining factor that distinguishes the child from the adult. I already know what the clowns are going to say but if there are any adult, even adult wannabes, I would like to know if the definition of adult needs to be updated?

My definition of an Adult. When you stop relying on your parents to live your life. It isn't an age at all its a state of being children are taken care up by adults. An adult takes care of themselves.

Tmac

My definition of an Adult. When you stop relying on your parents to live your life. It isn't an age at all its a state of being children are taken care up by adults. An adult takes care of themselves.

I hear you but that doesn't eliminate childish behavior and "take care of themselves" is too broad and vague.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Depends on rather you're talking about the adult in the metaphoric, metaphysical, chronological, or legal terms.

In that case I was an adult by the age of 12 (not by choice, btw).

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Depends on rather you're talking about the adult in the metaphoric, metaphysical, chronological, or legal terms.

That is understood and I'm sorry, there are many kids forced into adulthood before they should be.

Tmac

I'm sorry, does this mean that you don't think that definition of adult need to be updated or not?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I hear you but that doesn't eliminate childish behavior and "take care of themselves" is too broad and vague.

For me people are all unique, if they want to be childish that is fine as long as they are responsible for themselves. Where this breaks down is if your committed or in a home where adult professionals take care of you. You are an adult but do to illness you can't take care of yourself, in this case for me where you ever an adult before coming ill, if yes you don't lose adulthood.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That is understood and I'm sorry, there are many kids forced into adulthood before they should be.

Thanks, but even though it could have been better, actually I benefited by being very independent and resourceful for the rest of my life. I also came to terms early that you have to play the hand you're dealt in this cosmic poker game.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'm sorry, does this mean that you don't think that definition of adult need to be updated or not?

I don't think you can say one size fits all.

Nobody is forced into adulthood, they maybe force into doing what is considered as adult behavior/task.

Well there's your answer. What, if anything, are we really forced into? Some would define adulthood by age, others by circumstance, Still others may define adulthood by actions and decisions. Others may say the true adult will not be concerned with definitions and just do what has to be done.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I think you are confusing the definitions of the terms 'adult' and 'mature.'

Tmac

I don't think you can say one size fits all.

Well there's your answer. What, if anything, are we really forced into? Some would define adulthood by age, others by circumstance, Still others may define adulthood by actions and decisions. Others may say the true adult will not be concerned with definitions and just do what has to be done.

Okay then, what is your definition of being adult when you think of yourself as being an adult?