• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being alive.

Photonic

Ad astra!
This question goes out to everyone of any theistic or non-theistic denomination.

What is your purpose of living? This came up in another thread and I believe it deserves its own discussion, considering many believe religions purpose is to give purpose.

I'll start.

My purpose for continued existence is to advance human understanding and potentially get us off this rock and into space. :)

I refuse to let those damn potential aliens upstage us!

Last edited:

aindiachai

My purpose is to learn something new, make the world a better place for other people especially my family and friends, and to just enjoy life.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
If anything, having fun. Other than that I don't see any reason for continued existence, and who cares if someone dies? Obviously that person wont...

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I can't say I really have one objective aim in life. I'm still young though :D

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Keep people sane though entertainment. If things turn out well, then maybe provide more accessible English versions of other Hindu Scriptures to the West.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Well, my purpose is to find out if I'm here for a purpose. My purpose used to be searching and meeting the girl of my dreams but that didn't happen. I don't know what else to do in life. Very little in life means anything to me and I have very little interest in anything in life.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Well, my purpose is to find out if I'm here for a purpose. My purpose used to be searching and meeting the girl of my dreams but that didn't happen. I don't know what else to do in life. Very little in life means anything to me and I have very little interest in anything in life.

We've all been there at one point or another. I was lucky enough to have a passion to pursue that actually led me to my fiance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My purpose is to shape my own purpose. Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll are still pretty high on the list.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've had many purposes in my life and sometimes none. But mostly I just play at having a purpose.

Last edited:

Acim

Revelation all the time
Feels like many purposes. Perhaps a few that stand above the rest, but honestly when in the moment, the current purpose does seem to stand above the rest. If I had to be concise, it would come down to joy, peace, love for primary purpose(s). Sometimes it is curiosity (like what's really going to happen in 2012), and other times it is habit. But on the good days, it is about learning and loving. And/or learning to love. And/or loving to learn.

Oh and RF. RF is currently my 9th reason / purpose for living.

Awoon

Playing is my ising while living

Dont take life so seriously cause life only last temporarily but you will live eternally so dont take life so seriously.

Last edited:

DavyCrocket2003

Hey Matthew. I'm sorry you are in a state of life like that. :(

How do you feel about people? I ask because other people give meaning to my life. I desire to help others find joy, love, and purpose in their lives.

I am also motivated by a love to learn and experience. There are so many wonderful and engaging things at our fingertips in this world we live in. I hope to contribute to the world through helping answer some of the engineering challenges facing the world today such as clean energy, clean fresh water, better transportation system, stuff like that.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Hey Matthew. I'm sorry you are in a state of life like that. :(

I appreciate it but if it means anything, I do plan on seeking help to try to at least treat my bouts of depression.

How do you feel about people? I ask because other people give meaning to my life. I desire to help others find joy, love, and purpose in their lives.

Come to think about it, I feel similarly towards other people. I'm not a "people's person" but I do desire to help others find joy, love, and purpose in their lives. But I do feel a sadness about myself.

I am also motivated by a love to learn and experience. There are so many wonderful and engaging things at our fingertips in this world we live in. I hope to contribute to the world through helping answer some of the engineering challenges facing the world today such as clean energy, clean fresh water, better transportation system, stuff like that.

This is a great thing! I seriously find it refreshing to hear folks like yourself who not only love to learn and experience life but also want to help make the world a better place through public service. That's what I like about Mormons like yourself; your desire to make the world a better place by serving your fellow human beings.

When I say "little matters" to me, one of the very few things in life that matter to me are, indeed, people! My family matters. Other human beings matter. Making the world better and making people healthier and happier matters to me. I guess I just find no pleasure in hobbies or most human activities. I wrestle with a consuming sadness.

outhouse

Atheistically
This question goes out to everyone of any theistic or non-theistic denomination.

What is your purpose of living? This came up in another thread and I believe it deserves its own discussion, considering many believe religions purpose is to give purpose.

I'll start.

My purpose for continued existence is to advance human understanding and potentially get us off this rock and into space. :)

I refuse to let those damn potential aliens upstage us!

ill buy that, no deity will save us as a species from a earth that wont last forever

+1 for getting off the rock

continue the knowledge

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I don't think taking a short view on my goals is at all valid an approach to life, nor would I suggest taking an ultra long view is at all valid. With that said while I agree that getting off this rock is a noble and worthy pursuit I would not agree that it is because earth won't last forever, nor the sun for that matter, and it has nothing to do with the environment or oil scarcity or just about any other "ephemeral" concern.

We should want to get out into space to better ourselves and expand our knowledge. Creeping out into space for the same reason a virus would does not seem like the proper perspective to have when beginning to expand out into the cosmos.

So my purpose varies from moment to moment as my short term goals change. It varies in accordance to the meaning I attribute to my existence: Humans are creatures of learning and desires. I would say fulfilling those desires (each individual differs in that regard) and learning whatever it takes to better fulfill my desires and the desires of those I care about.

MTF