• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a woman is a crime

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm just curious, why on Earth did there used to be laws in America forbidding women to vote? It seems strange. I'm sure that is not just in America that they had such laws. Those laws are still in our world to day.

I am a felon on probation, so part of the terms of my probation is that I cannot vote. However, I chose to commit the crime and that is one of the consequences. Having that same rule for an entire gender seems very odd to me. People are/were sometimes treated less than human and even treated like criminals just for not being male. There are still countries where women are almost on house arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In a phrase, artificially constructed gender roles making arbitrary rules about the capabilities of women not based on merit.

Jumi

Well, that was one issue why feminism got started. Women were second or third class citizens. New Zealand started the trend allowing women the vote in the world and Finland was the first European country to allow women to vote. Followed by the other Nordic states and then Russian provisional government.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The more you study the status of women worldwide, the more you see they have been -- or sometimes still are -- second class citizens ever since the rise of the first civilizations in ancient Sumer.

The idea that we are all equal (where it exists) is a fairly modern idea. Almost all historical societies have viewed some form of inequality as being part of the 'natural order'.

Rather than 'why did we view people as unequal?', the point of interest is really 'how did we come to see people as normatively equal?'

wellwisher

I'm just curious, why on Earth did there used to be laws in America forbidding women to vote? It seems strange. I'm sure that is not just in America that they had such laws. Those laws are still in our world to day.

I am a felon on probation, so part of the terms of my probation is that I cannot vote. However, I chose to commit the crime and that is one of the consequences. Having that same rule for an entire gender seems very odd to me. People are/were sometimes treated less than human and even treated like criminals just for not being male. There are still countries where women are almost on house arrest.

The right to vote in early America was decided by the states. Voting was original dependent on owning land and paying taxes.

The natural relationship between mother and son is strong, yet for centuries mothers spoiled and trained their sons to be selfish brats who would someday limit the rights of their wives but not their mother. This had to do with female culture. For example, in China where limits are placed on the number of children, mothers will favor sons in abortion, and will spoil their son so they turn out like their dad, whose mothers favored and spoiled them.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It wasn't just women. There was a time only landowners could vote.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What about female land owners?
Good question.

Seems historically it was a mixed bag which state some states like New Jersey allowing women to vote as long as long as they met landowners requirements. Others didn't allow women to vote.

Funny thing is a century later , seems New Jersey reneged and prevented women from voting.

Turns out it's a mixed bag of requirements that vary from state to state however there were instances where women were allowed to vote long before suffrages were instituted.

Who got the right to vote when?

Altfish

Veteran Member

In the UK, it used to be only landowners who could vote.
It was gradual but I'm ashamed to say it was 1920 before women got the vote here.
I'd argue we have not fully arrived at full voting rights for all as yet. Currently you can join the army at 16, have a regular job, pay taxes but not be able to vote until you are 18

Sanzbir

I'm just curious, why on Earth did there used to be laws in America forbidding women to vote? It seems strange.

It was more of a technicality than a formal law.

Originally the vote was only available to landowners, and thus most women were not able to vote because their home was usually in their husband's name. But there were some women who did vote before the 19th Amendment.