• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being A Free Thinker.

Ellen Brown

The path for a free thinker is bothersome at times. I'm not sure why some try so hard to get you to conform to the rules of another group? Does being a spiritual Flower Child somehow make some others uncomfortable as if I am devaluing their beliefs?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yup. You don't think like they do, you're a threat to the way things are and how they expect things to be. It tends to be highly disruptive to the unawoken and creatures of habit.

Reactions: xir

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The path for a free thinker is bothersome at times. I'm not sure why some try so hard to get you to conform to the rules of another group? Does being a spiritual Flower Child somehow make some others uncomfortable as if I am devaluing their beliefs?
Most people have trouble watching other people make mistakes. We have an internal judge which is part of us and which judges us all the time as well as everyone else. This is a situation where sometimes empathy is the wrong thing. Sometimes horse blinders are the right thing. Sometimes we are made to feel responsible for others in a way that is unhealthy. It happens in politics, religion, personal life etc.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think they may be uncomfortable that anyone would question and take their own initiative to critic the group. Kind of like trying to get out of a cult.

Being a Flower Child goes against the "norms" of heirarchy (in the states) and authority. At least then. Now it's probably more coersion.

I wish I knew.

GodInUs

Love this! This came to mind when I read your comment:
leo-tolstoy.jpg

GodInUs

318-Cognititive-Disodance-Compare.jpg

GodInUs

cia.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Most people have trouble watching other people make mistakes. We have an internal judge which is part of us and which judges us all the time as well as everyone else. This is a situation where sometimes empathy is the wrong thing. Sometimes horse blinders are the right thing. Sometimes we are made to feel responsible for others in a way that is unhealthy. It happens in politics, religion, personal life etc.
I confess, I'm fascinated that you seem to have equated "free thinking" with "making mistakes." I would never have gone there...

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think nowadays most people consider themselves a free thinker. It is now the norm!

Ellen Brown

It is a comical situation if one can avoid taking things too seriously. The idea of a Trinity just never made sense to me, so I rejected that even before I was exposed to the Mormons.

Then the idea of some leader having authority over me seemed preposterous.
1 Peter 2:5 - The Priesthood of all Believers
Thus, all Christians are of that holy priesthood and can offer spiritual sacrifices to God. All have the right to go directly to God through Jesus Christ, ...

Then, in Islam, you can be beaten and even beheaded for having wrong beliefs, especially saying that Allah SWT has a Son.

There is much else, but if one is comfortable and happy, peace be upon you.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I confess, I'm fascinated that you seem to have equated "free thinking" with "making mistakes." I would never have gone there...
Yeah well I can't expect everyone to make as good of a choice as I would. Also I could be wrong, not that it ever happens in a practical sense.

GodInUs

quote-to-be-free-is-to-be-capable-of-thinking-one-s-own-thoughts-not-the-thoughts-merely-of-rudolf-steiner-70-53-83.jpg

Ellen Brown

Is it time to resign this forum, and get back to my sleeping and silly Science Fiction? There are belief systems I no longer respect because the followers are so flagrantly violating the rules of their own systems. Time for a nap.

Ellen Brown

you could come to the dark side and join us atheists and secularists :)

You could have a point there.

While I think that the majority of the Bible happened, my views as to the mechanisms get me branded as anything but spiritual. And I am waiting for the supreme beings in 2003, Rama, and the Foundation Trilogy to come for a visit. I think that most organized religions honestly seek to confine and limit God by the way they frame the Creator in their actions and in their arcane rules. Islam would be included, though I love it. By limiting the Creator, they seek to become Gods unto themselves thus guaranteeing Hell Fire for themselves. By their own conduct they show that the God they talk of does not exist.