• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Behold - our next head of state!

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
(Nope, this isn't about the US election)

Behold, our next head of state!

With no degree of uncertainty!

And with not a single vote cast

It is certain he will assume office, but within an uncertain time frame...

princecharles.png

Isn't the monarchy amazing?

Stability, continuity, tradition...

Americans:

Be very grateful that you have a say about who becomes your head of state!

Altfish

Veteran Member
(Nope, this isn't about the US election)

Behold, our next head of state!

With no degree of uncertainty!

And with not a single vote cast

It is certain he will assume office, but within an uncertain time frame...

View attachment 44820

Isn't the monarchy amazing?

Stability, continuity, tradition...

Americans:

Be very grateful that you have a say about who becomes your head of state!
But, their 'power' is waning.
I'd get shut of them tomorrow but they are a good tourist attraction and trade delegation.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Do they really attract tourists though? And if they do is it worth it?
If you are going to the UK, you inevitably visit Buck Palace and Windsor
If you are a foreign dignitary the highest accolade is a meal with Liz & Phil.

But, not sure it is worth it.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If you are going to the UK, you inevitably visit Buck Palace and Windsor
I think those places would be best turned into museums - then tourists would be able to go into them and explore them

We can have palaces without a monarchy

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think those places would be best turned into museums - then tourists would be able to go into them and explore them

We can have palaces without a monarchy
Oh, I'm with you there. But not much chance of that unfortunately.
I hope they just become less and less relevant.

Erebus

They certainly bring in some tourists though the exact number is impossible to determine. People don't generally visit a country for a single reason and those who see appeal in the royal family may still have visited in order to see various landmarks or so on. I don't doubt that the royals probably constitute the primary reason some people visit the country though.

Personally, I don't think they're worth it even if you factor in tourism. I see them as symbolic of the idea that some people are simply better than others by virtue of birth. We would be well-served consigning that idea to history.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Worth it, i don't think so

But stroll around outside buck house and day of the week, close your eyes and listen. You could easily be in America or Japan just listening to the chatter.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Worth it, i don't think so

But stroll around outside buck house and day of the week, close your eyes and listen. You could easily be in America or Japan just listening to the chatter.
But are they there because it's occupied by a monarch?

I don't know the answer to that

But I imagine that it would continue to draw tourists even if it was occupied by a president

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. But as you said, it's not worth it...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
They have one great benefit.
They preserve us from the likes of Trump.
A non political powerless head of state saves us for dictators, popularist , and career politicians, that take corrupt power over us.
What we have is cheap at half the price.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
They have one great benefit.
They preserve us from the likes of Trump.
A non political powerless head of state saves us for dictators, popularist , and career politicians, that take corrupt power over us.
What we have is cheap at half the price.
So goes the traditional argument...

But I think the demos needs to be trusted not to vote in a demagogue as head of state - and I think that the political process would filter such a character out

Recent events have shown us that "the people" don't always make the worst choice...

Also, it doesn't follow that an elected head of state would have to have more powers than an unelected one

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
But are they there because it's occupied by a monarch?

I don't know the answer to that

But I imagine that it would continue to draw tourists even if it was occupied by a president

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. But as you said, it's not worth it...

There is nothing else to go there for. Its quite pretty if you like cities and big houses but there are far nicer places to spend your time

Erebus

I suppose one downside to getting rid of the monarchy is that news broadcasting would no longer have a place for the vital contributions of royal correspondents:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
So goes the traditional argument...

But I think the demos needs to be trusted not to vote in a demagogue as head of state - and I think that the political process would filter such a character out

Recent events have shown us that "the people" don't always make the worst choice...

Also, it doesn't follow that an elected head of state would have to have more powers than an unelected one

I would go along with appointing from people with a lifetime record of true non political public service. Much like Ireland.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Yes, but with a degree of democratic oversight
No need they would have no power.

I would suggest any one could recommend them on to the list. And be vetted for possible skeletons by the security service. They could serve for six years so more than a parliament.
I would suggest publishing a single booklet giving a resume of their life and career.
But allow no electioneering. I would reduce the electorate to anyone over 55. So there would be a good chance that they would have been aware of the candidates lives.
Alternatively the candidates could elect from their own number. (Like the pope)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
No need they would have no power.

I would suggest any one could recommend them on to the list. And be vetted for possible skeletons by the security service. They could serve for six years so more than a parliament.
I would suggest publishing a single booklet giving a resume of their life and career.
But allow no electioneering. I would reduce the electorate to anyone over 55. So there would be a good chance that they would have been aware of the candidates lives.
Alternatively the candidates could elect from their own number. (Like the pope)
I think to implement all that we'd need to draw up a new, codified constitution

That in itself would be a huge undertaking - and also a worthwhile one

But I'm with you on this - more or less