• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Behavior and Belief

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
if a self-serving type changes it's belief system, but not their behavior, has anything really changed except self's appearance?

Last edited:

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
if a self-serving type changes it's belief system, but not their behavior, has anything really changed except self's appearance?
Actually self's appearance did not change at all since there is no change in behavior.

The point being, my behaviors define who I am, not my beliefs.

Viker

Häxan
Actually self's appearance did not change at all since there is no change in behavior.

The point being, my behaviors define who I am, not my beliefs.
So if someone gets "saved" they're going to still go out on the town with a bottle of Scotch, a couple of hookers and curse God all night? Okay.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So if someone gets "saved" they're going to still go out on the town with a bottle of Scotch, a couple of hookers and curse God all night? Okay.

How did you find how I spend my Saturday nights?!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suspect most adopt a belief system which supports their behavior.
Generally IMO, a person changes their beliefs when they find their behavior is no longer supported by it.

Some will however stick with a belief system because they've been convinced they have to. They accept their belief as the truth.

Though I think there will always be some unhappiness in this arrangement. One may feel they are unable to live up to some obligation of behavior required by their beliefs.

I see men telling other men what God obligates them to do with no guarantees that they are right about their claims.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I didn't say that.
What I said is that your behaviors define you rather than what you believe.

Therefore if you go out on the town with a bottle of Scotch, a couple of hookers and curse God all night and believe you are "saved", this means your behavior define who you are not what you believe.

God judges by deeds (or behaviors) not by beliefs.

Viker

Häxan
I didn't say that.
What I said is that your behaviors define you rather than what you believe.

Therefore if you go out on the town with a bottle of Scotch, a couple of hookers and curse God all night and believe you are "saved", this means your behavior define who you are not what you believe.

God judges by deeds (or behaviors) not by beliefs.
Beliefs have no influence on behavior? And so a change in belief has no affect on one's deeds or behavior?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I have spies. Ravens and crows are everywhere watching everyone. They keep me informed. They're better than news agencies, too.
Pfft, that's crazy.
*Nonchalantly pushes fuzzy bunny slippers under the bed*

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Often times a new belief system just comes with a whole new set of rationalizations.

God/church sanctioned rationalizations can be particularly dangerous.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Beliefs have no influence on behavior? And so a change in belief has no affect on one's deeds or behavior?
Changing our mind is theoretical, changing our behaviors is practical.

In other words, it's easy to say but hard to do.

Did your beliefs change your behavior?

Viker

Häxan
Did your beliefs change your behavior
Yes. No more running. No more hiding. No more fear of monsters. No more groveling. No more begging. No more self hate. No more self doubt. No more self pity.

My beliefs helped shape who I am today. I found them and they assured me I can be this.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Yes. No more running. No more hiding. No more fear of monsters. No more groveling. No more begging. No more self hate. No more self doubt. No more self pity.
OK I get your point, but what you have enumerated are mental states not human behaviors.

We are talking about "visible" or "external" behaviors, in this context primarily social interactions with others.
Belief systems or religions are kind of "burden" on human behavior because all beliefs demand social change in one way or another.
If there is no change in behavior then belief is in vain.
What is the benefit of belief a lone?