• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Begotten", what does it mean?

Dogknox20

That doesn't make any sense.
Why should being able to touch a person make them G-d?

Answer is....
24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe
.”

The next week Jesus appeared to Thomas...
26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
Answer is....
24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe
.”

The next week Jesus appeared to Thomas...
26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed
Who is it that Jesus says are blessed?

And why did Jesus make the remark?

Dogknox20

And why did Jesus make the remark?
Soapy good questions...
Answer can only be>>> Everyone but Thomas! Thomas has the advantage of actually being there to cement his faith!... Thus all Christians for the past 2000 plus years.. Because: All Christians believe Jesus is God same as Thomas! IF...

Soapy
if you reject what Christians believe then you are NOT Christian! Pagans are those OUTSIDE of God' family! IF...

Soapy
if OUTSIDE you cannot be INSIDE at the same time!
Example...
Arius was a Christian until he rejected what Christians believe (Jesus is God).
Arius was removed from AMONG Christians as a False Teacher, he was placed OUTSIDE as a Pagan or Tax Collector!

Why did Jesus make the remark?
Soapy good questions... Answer can only be...Because God cannot lie, he would never say anything different. He did not stop anyone from worshipping himself can only be because: Jesus is God! Worship is ONLY for God!

Jesus is 100% God... God is Spirit!
Jesus is 100% Man... Man is Flesh!
Jesus was begotten... God became Flesh! God came to earth as man to die, a sinless Man... Only God is sinless!
Only God could rise from the dead because only God is without sin. The wages of sin is DEATH! CAN'T....

Soapy
can't die as a man if first you are not born as a man! Only God is without sin, only God is perfect! Jesus rose from death; death could not hold him! NOW....

Soapy
now all ADDED to the risen Body of Jesus also can't die.. Jesus has been there and done that!
Romans 6:2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Soapy

Soapy good questions...
Answer can only be>>> Everyone but Thomas! Thomas has the advantage of actually being there to cement his faith!... Thus all Christians for the past 2000 plus years.. Because: All Christians believe Jesus is God same as Thomas! IF...

Soapy
if you reject what Christians believe then you are NOT Christian! Pagans are those OUTSIDE of God' family! IF...

Soapy
if OUTSIDE you cannot be INSIDE at the same time!
Example...
Arius was a Christian until he rejected what Christians believe (Jesus is God).
Arius was removed from AMONG Christians as a False Teacher, he was placed OUTSIDE as a Pagan or Tax Collector!

Why did Jesus make the remark?
Soapy good questions... Answer can only be...Because God cannot lie, he would never say anything different. He did not stop anyone from worshipping himself can only be because: Jesus is God! Worship is ONLY for God!

Jesus is 100% God... God is Spirit!
Jesus is 100% Man... Man is Flesh!
Jesus was begotten... God became Flesh! God came to earth as man to die, a sinless Man... Only God is sinless!
Only God could rise from the dead because only God is without sin. The wages of sin is DEATH! CAN'T....

Soapy
can't die as a man if first you are not born as a man! Only God is without sin, only God is perfect! Jesus rose from death; death could not hold him! NOW....

Soapy
now all ADDED to the risen Body of Jesus also can't die.. Jesus has been there and done that!
Romans 6:2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
Answer to my first question:
‘The ones whom are blessed are those who did not touch or see for themselves but yet believe that Jesus has been raised from the dead’. Thomas had to both see and touch before he would believe - that is not a blessing (A man given a fish to eat might well eat for that moment. But the blessing is on those who can fish for them-self and eat for today and tomorrow.)

Moreover, you say that God cannot lie - and that is true enough. So it is also true that Jesus said to Thomas that he, Jesus, was NOT A SPIRIT. Yet we know the truth that GOD IS SPIRIT.
————————————————————

Dogknox, Who raised Jesus from the dead?
  • “The God of our ancestors raised Jesus from the dead—whom you killed by hanging him on a cross.” (Acts 5:30)
  • “just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father” (Romans 6:4)
What is the glory of the Father? Is it not the Father’s spirit? And therefore:
  • “…. the Spirit of Him [the Father] who raised Jesus from the dead … ” (Romans 8:11)
Jesus was raised up from the dead by means of the spirit, the holy spirit, of the Father.

The Father is God - the only true God - who gives life to the unborn and to the dead…. ‘Father’ means:
  • “He that gives life…. ”
  • “He that creates…. “
  • “He that brings into being…. “
God - the Father - gave Jesus life out from the grave.

Last edited:

Dogknox20

Answer to my first question:
‘The ones whom are blessed are those who did not touch or see for themselves but yet believe that Jesus has been raised from the dead’. Thomas had to both see and touch before he would believe - that is not a blessing (A man given a fish to eat might well eat for that moment. But the blessing is on those who can fish for them-self and eat for today and tomorrow.)

Moreover, you say that God cannot lie - and that is true enough. So it is also true that Jesus said to Thomas that he, Jesus, was NOT A SPIRIT. Yet we know the truth that GOD IS SPIRIT.
————————————————————

Dogknox, Who raised Jesus from the dead?
  • “The God of our ancestors raised Jesus from the dead—whom you killed by hanging him on a cross.” (Acts 5:30)
  • “just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father” (Romans 6:4)
What is the glory of the Father? Is it not the Father’s spirit? And therefore:
  • “…. the Spirit of Him [the Father] who raised Jesus from the dead … ” (Romans 8:11)
Jesus was raised up from the dead by means of the spirit, the holy spirit, of the Father.

The Father is God - the only true God - who gives life to the unborn and to the dead…. ‘Father’ means:
  • “He that gives life…. ”
  • “He that creates…. “
  • “He that brings into being…. “
God - the Father - gave Jesus life out from the grave.
Soapy Yes... Jesus was raised up from the dead by means of the spirit, the holy spirit, of the Father. PROVING "The Holy Spirit is God"! Father, Son and Holy Spirit ONE God!

Make disciples in God' name by baptism! Speaking for God, with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make his Children by Immersing them, Baptizing them into the Body of Jesus!..
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Soapy FACT: Disciples are made by Baptizing!

Disciples are Jesus' brothers... IF Jesus was your brother then God would be your father also! All IMMERSED into Jesus call God; Father!
49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.

Baptism makes God' Children! Baptism ADDS Christians to the risen Body of Jesus!

In the Name of the Father... Speaking for God, Father.. with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make his Children!
In the Name of the Son...Speaking for God, Jesus...with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make God' Children!
In the name of the Holy Spirit...Speaking for God, The Holy Spirit.. with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make his Children!

Soapy The Holy Church was given the AUTHORITY to speak for God.. She was given God' authority to Make Disciples of all nations!

Soapy ‘The ones whom are blessed are those who did not touch or see for themselves but yet believe that Jesus has been raised from the dead’
Thus Soapy "Jesus is Thomas' Lord & GOD"!. Thomas had to both see and touch before he would believe that - Jesus is God,! Christians believe Jesus is "Lord and God" Today Christians are BLESSED because they believe Jesus is God!

Jesus does NOT correct Thomas' error... Because Thomas did NOT make an error! "My Lord and God"!

Soapy

Soapy Yes... Jesus was raised up from the dead by means of the spirit, the holy spirit, of the Father. PROVING "The Holy Spirit is God"! Father, Son and Holy Spirit ONE God!

Make disciples in God' name by baptism! Speaking for God, with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make his Children by Immersing them, Baptizing them into the Body of Jesus!..
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Disciples are Jesus' brothers... IF Jesus was your brother then God would be your father also! All IMMERSED into Jesus call God; Father!

Baptism makes God' Children! Baptism ADDS Christians to the risen Body of Jesus!

In the Name of the Father... Speaking for God, Father.. with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make his Children!
In the Name of the Son...Speaking for God, Jesus...with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make God' Children!
In the name of the Holy Spirit...Speaking for God, The Holy Spirit.. with all of God' AUTHORITY, representing God, make his Children!

Soapy The Holy Church was given the AUTHORITY to speak for God.. She was given God' authority to Make Disciples of all nations!

Soapy ‘The ones whom are blessed are those who did not touch or see for themselves but yet believe that Jesus has been raised from the dead’
Thus Soapy "Jesus is Thomas' Lord & GOD"!. Thomas had to both see and touch before he would believe that - Jesus is God,! Christians believe Jesus is "Lord and God" Today Christians are BLESSED because they believe Jesus is God!

Jesus does NOT correct Thomas' error... Because Thomas did NOT make an error! "My Lord and God"!
Disciples are Jesus' brothers...
Dogknox, you say jesus is God… and all disciples are brothers of ‘God’. So all disciples are God?

Saying, ‘My Lord and My God’ does not stake a claim as the person being spoken of is God.

Jesus did not challenge or correct Thomas because Thomas did not make a claim that Jesus was God.

Did Thomas bow down and worship Jesus? Did any of the disciples there now down and worship Jesus?

If Almighty God appeared in front of you, you would immediately die… And, furthermore, since ‘God’ is three persons, how is it that ONLY ONE of the so-called ‘Tri-person’ God appear as a human being with mere flesh and bone… GOD CANNOT BE SPLIT INTO PARTS…. A wooden or stone God can be split into parts, a one true God cannot be made of parts let alone be split into parts - yet your illusions God can… how is that?

Thomas may well claim a stick or a stone or money of food as ‘My Lord and My God’. Or it could just be an exclamation put into place by the trinitarian translators!

Dogknox, can you then explain why the other ten disciples did not exclaim that they had seen ‘Their God’? It appears that they only claimed to have seen the Lord!!! Dogknox, that’s TEN - to - ONE … 90.9% of the then immediate disciples….:
  • “Thomas, we have seen the Lord….”
  • “Unless I see and touch I WILL NOT BELIEVE!”
You truly believe that Thomas is blessed for NOT BELIEVING the 90.9% of disciples who were in the presence of the risen Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus, addressed as ‘Lord’ and ‘Christ’, but not ‘God’.

In fact, NO ONE ever addressed Jesus as ‘God’.

Many of the people Jesus healed went away ‘Praising GOD’… not Jesus!!

Jesus committed his spirit, upon his death, to HIS God. If Jesus is God then are you claiming that God has a God?

And the spirit of God is the spirit of the Father because the Father is God. There is never a reference to the Spirit of God being the spirit of Jesus as a property of Jesus.

And, by the way, there isn’t a need to emphasise ‘Holy’ when referring to the Spirit of God. We only write it so to distinguish, or better, to emphasise, the explicit holiness as a comparison to humanity. Why, because it could only be that the spirit of God is HOLY! ‘Holy holy holy is our God Almighty’… is a diametrically opposed claim to the pagan Gods who were proved to be neither holy nor almighty. But if we are not opposing paganism then we are all in agreement that our one true God, our Heavenly, spiritual Father, is ALMIGHTY AND HOLY.

And there is no partial holiness in truth as there is no partiality in a one true God: he cannot be a complex synergy of fragile, sinnable man and unsinable God!

Last edited:

Soapy

Dogknox, are you saying that the Holy Spirit is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit’: ‘God’?

Dogknox, are you saying that the Father REPRESENTS God?

How can the Father represent God if he IS God?

So WHO or WHAT is God, according to your obscure and topsyturvy, nonsensical definition?

Five Solas

I was asked by a fellow member to explain the word "Begotten" about Jesus in the Bible, because somehow it is a very bad word?

Will, I promised I will discuss this word on another thread, and here it is.

The Christian knows that Jesus is the only Begotten Son of God, and accepts this as fact, but they never question the meaning of how and what this means.

But we can not discuss this concept if we do not have the verses about Jesus being begotten and being the Son of God.
Here are a few.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1Jn 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
1Jn 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
Joh 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

OK, so lets see. The word monogenes means "only" (mono) "kind" (genes) (also child)
It is very close to modern words where we know Mono, as one such as "Monotheism" and genes such as genes in DNA.
one, only kind child.

We find it in the OT also:
In Hebrews 11:17 Isaac is called Abraham’s "only begotten son" (KJV). Abraham had more than one son, but Isaac was the only son he had by Sarah and the only son of the covenant. Therefore, it is the uniqueness of Isaac among the other sons that allows for the use of monogenes in that context.

Now that we have the verses, and the meaning, lets get the context.

In the beginning, we see a description that God had a Mind (Word), a Spirit, and an existence living body covered with light. The Spirit of God left the existence of YHWH and hovered above the waters, which means the Spirit could enter into the creation of YHWH.
We also see that the Spirit of YHWH, or as we know Him as the Holy Spirit of God, could come onto people and make their bodies change, such as Samson that became super strong as soon as the Spirit intered his body.
The Spirit came upon Elisha when Elijah annointed him, and he could do magnificent miracles.
Therefore, the Spirit of YHWH can come into creation, and change the human body!

Now we have a description in John about the "Word of God" who was with God in the beginning, and this Word of God created everything.

And God sent His Spirit to Mary and changed her body to become pregnant without intercourse, just as this Spirit changed human attributes before, and a human body was created in Mary, with the "Word of God" in it, which is the Mind of God.
This human was born, and became known as Jesus.
This is the reason why God calls Jesus His only begotten Son.
Jesus was created in the body of Mary by the Holy Spirit of God.
and God's Word left the existence of YHWH, and entered the fetus.

Now, take into consideration:
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Conclusion.
God had to save his creation from death, because we are all just dying corpses, and to do that God Himself sent his Mind, that became a Human, to live amongst us.
This is why Christians believe Jesus is God, and why He came as a Human to die!
To be the first to attain an immortal body for us all to follow in this way to eternity.

Therefore, what would you call someone that had a human body, that was created, just as Adam's body, but had the mind of God dwelling in that Body.

One of a Kind, or
Only Begotten Son.

Good exposition

Soapy

I was asked by a fellow member to explain the word "Begotten" about Jesus in the Bible, because somehow it is a very bad word?

Will, I promised I will discuss this word on another thread, and here it is.

The Christian knows that Jesus is the only Begotten Son of God, and accepts this as fact, but they never question the meaning of how and what this means.

But we can not discuss this concept if we do not have the verses about Jesus being begotten and being the Son of God.
Here are a few.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1Jn 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
1Jn 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
Joh 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

OK, so lets see. The word monogenes means "only" (mono) "kind" (genes) (also child)
It is very close to modern words where we know Mono, as one such as "Monotheism" and genes such as genes in DNA.
one, only kind child.

We find it in the OT also:
In Hebrews 11:17 Isaac is called Abraham’s "only begotten son" (KJV). Abraham had more than one son, but Isaac was the only son he had by Sarah and the only son of the covenant. Therefore, it is the uniqueness of Isaac among the other sons that allows for the use of monogenes in that context.

Now that we have the verses, and the meaning, lets get the context.

In the beginning, we see a description that God had a Mind (Word), a Spirit, and an existence living body covered with light. The Spirit of God left the existence of YHWH and hovered above the waters, which means the Spirit could enter into the creation of YHWH.
We also see that the Spirit of YHWH, or as we know Him as the Holy Spirit of God, could come onto people and make their bodies change, such as Samson that became super strong as soon as the Spirit intered his body.
The Spirit came upon Elisha when Elijah annointed him, and he could do magnificent miracles.
Therefore, the Spirit of YHWH can come into creation, and change the human body!

Now we have a description in John about the "Word of God" who was with God in the beginning, and this Word of God created everything.

And God sent His Spirit to Mary and changed her body to become pregnant without intercourse, just as this Spirit changed human attributes before, and a human body was created in Mary, with the "Word of God" in it, which is the Mind of God.
This human was born, and became known as Jesus.
This is the reason why God calls Jesus His only begotten Son.
Jesus was created in the body of Mary by the Holy Spirit of God.
and God's Word left the existence of YHWH, and entered the fetus.

Now, take into consideration:

Conclusion.
God had to save his creation from death, because we are all just dying corpses, and to do that God Himself sent his Mind, that became a Human, to live amongst us.
This is why Christians believe Jesus is God, and why He came as a Human to die!
To be the first to attain an immortal body for us all to follow in this way to eternity.

Therefore, what would you call someone that had a human body, that was created, just as Adam's body, but had the mind of God dwelling in that Body.

One of a Kind, or
Only Begotten Son.
There is nothing strange or suspicious or weird about ‘Only Begotten Son of God’.

The scriptures speaks for itself:
In the beginning God created a world of physical entities. The highest entity he created in his own image: Adam.

Adam was instructed and directed and commanded what and how certain things were to be done but given free-Will do do it - which meant that he, Adam, had a choice whether to do it or try another way or not do it at all. But Adam faithfully followed the spirit of God in who’s image he was made.

But down the line, Adam sinned. He was misled and gave way to the temptation to do things his own way rather than follow the spirit of God.

A ‘Son of God’ is one who is led by the spirit of God. Therefore when Adam sinned he was no longer the son of God… God was so angry that he wanted to destroy his own creation but relented to give the offspring of Adam time to come back to him, to God.

Time and time again the people sinned but God forgave them - only die then to sin again. Finally God put in place a contingency plan he had put in place from the beginning: a new Adam.

Being ‘Adam’ means that you are sinless and holy, righteous in all your ways. The Adam was until he sinned. The new Adam (Jesus) born in the same manner as the first Adam (indeed no other Adam would be created therefore Jesus was also the LAST ADAM) did not sin ever even under the harshest of temptations and therefore God said of him:
  • “You are my Son, this day I have become your Father’
Would anyone disagree that that statement is an ADOPTION STATEMENT?

And, what does the term ‘Begotten’ mean?

Indeed, was Israel not Begotten of God? God’s firstborn (Most Beloved) nation.

Did not the apostle Paul ‘Beget’ the run-away slave, Onesimus, even as Paul was in chains in prison. Certainly Paul ADOPTED Onesimus…. Begot him!

So there is nothing secretive or mysterious about Jesus being ADOPTED as Son of God…. Being Begotten of God.

Moreover, it is the GREATER who begets the LESSER, as much as it is a FATHER who begets one who BECOMES his Son!