• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beginning to grow Disillusioned

Philomath

Sadhaka
There may not be a belief system which fits your pre-requisites exactly.... you might find one that is similar in some respects but not others. If you are looking for a 'belief system' to fit with your pre-requisites, maybe you should just create your own. Thats how we got to so many religions in the first place...whats one more?

They aren't necessarily per-requisites, just things I would like to find in a religion. I'm pretty open to anything. I'm not up for the grand task of starting my own religion lol.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The type of spirituality your referring to is what I want.What's bugging me is the idea of rituals they just don't make sense to me, nor can I see why God would care about them. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. A label or something to align myself with would be nice. But it's not the most important thing.

I think Shiva cares about my rituals more or less as much as I care for them.

Find a ritual that makes sense to you because it makes sense to you not because it makes sense to 10k people or something.

Find something that grounds you to the divine. Let it change if it needs change. Let your bliss be your guide more than your rational mind.

Rational mind is great, but it is a tool not an end.

Rituals IMHO are not to find truth but to find your truth.

Never forget this.

Last edited:

Philomath

Sadhaka
I think Shiva cares about my rituals more or less as much as I care for them.

Find a ritual that makes sense to you because it makes sense to you not because it makes sense to 10k people or something.

Find something that grounds you to the divine. Let it change if it needs change. Let your bliss be your guide more than your rational mind.

Rational mind is great, but it is a tool not an end.

Rituals IMHO are not to find truth but to find your truth.

Never forget this.

Maybe I'm just looking at these rituals from the wrong perspective then. What kind of ritual do you do? and how do you do it?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Maybe I'm just looking at these rituals from the wrong perspective then. What kind of ritual do you do? and how do you do it?

I pray when I feel like praying. I chant mantras to Shiva when I feel like chanting mantras.

Another thing I do is that I do clay. I love my clay Shiva figure that I did, but it feels one of the most spiritual things to me to do to do clay and give it as a gift to someone else. I ask what would they want and I make it and then I give it to them.

Sometimes it's just bowing my head to the murtis or making a postration to a Christ altar I got at home.

I dont know "why" this are the ones that feel right for me, and it truly is not important. What is important is how they feel If I knew why, I assume they would change. The heart is ahead of the head in this matters and if the head catches up then the heart tends to pump elsewhere.

Heh, a-head :D curious hint to this I just found.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
They aren't necessarily per-requisites, just things I would like to find in a religion. I'm pretty open to anything. I'm not up for the grand task of starting my own religion lol.

Why not? Everyone else does :D

Philomath

Sadhaka
I pray when I feel like praying. I chant mantras to Shiva when I feel like chanting mantras.

Another thing I do is that I do clay. I love my clay Shiva figure that I did, but it feels one of the most spiritual things to me to do to do clay and give it as a gift to someone else. I ask what would they want and I make it and then I give it to them.

Sometimes it's just bowing my head to the murtis or making a postration to a Christ altar I got at home.

I dont know "why" this are the ones that feel right for me, and it truly is not important. What is important is how they feel If I knew why, I assume they would change. The heart is ahead of the head in this matters and if the head catches up then the heart tends to pump elsewhere.

Heh, a-head :D curious hint to this I just found.

So basically you do what feels best?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not? Everyone else does :D

Not me. Way too much involved. I'm keeping things very Much at Cult level to start with, and see how that goes. It's a tried and tested religious development strategy.

In terms of the OP, there are a bunch of things worth exploring.

Buddhism, Taoism and Deism were the three that spa first to my mind. I'd assume God put them there, but now tha I'm a Cult leader, I'm going to assume I had the thoughts myself.

Philomath

Sadhaka
Not me. Way too much involved. I'm keeping things very Much at Cult level to start with, and see how that goes. It's a tried and tested religious development strategy.

In terms of the OP, there are a bunch of things worth exploring.

Buddhism, Taoism and Deism were the three that spa first to my mind. I'd assume God put them there, but now tha I'm a Cult leader, I'm going to assume I had the thoughts myself.

What kind of cult are you leading? :p

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
l've never figured it out. This is all I have so far;

1) Rank in the Big Hat Cult will be denoted by hat size, with the second in charge sporting a ridiculously large mitre-style hat.
2) Upon taking over the world, there will need to be a serious culling, for everyone's benefit. By everyone, I mean my benefit.
3) Settle in as benevolent dictator (for a given value of benevolent).

That's it. Still a couple of gaps, but I'm thinking of starting a thread to get some input on particulars.

Treks

I'll have a look into Sikhism then :)

I'm all for meditation. Why do you pray to God if you believe he is impersonal?

It's a way of verbalising to myself my thoughts and feelings. I don't believe It is listening to a puny human begging for help to pass an exam, for instance, or win the job interview, but the individual can benefit from framing an internal dialogue in the format of prayer. [fancy way of saying "I talk to myself" basically]

A lot of Sikh hymns are exactly that, with the authors literally addressing their own mind:

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji page 60
O mind, love the Lord, as the fish loves the water.
The more the water, the more the happiness, and the greater the peace of mind and body.
Without water, she cannot live, even for an instant. God knows the suffering of her mind. ||2||

Sikhi is wrapped up in paradox, at first it looks monotheistic courtesy of the poetry of it's scripture, but it's actually closer to panentheism.

Philomath

Sadhaka
It's a way of verbalising to myself my thoughts and feelings. I don't believe It is listening to a puny human begging for help to pass an exam, for instance, or win the job interview, but the individual can benefit from framing an internal dialogue in the format of prayer. [fancy way of saying "I talk to myself" basically]

A lot of Sikh hymns are exactly that, with the authors literally addressing their own mind:

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji page 60
O mind, love the Lord, as the fish loves the water.
The more the water, the more the happiness, and the greater the peace of mind and body.
Without water, she cannot live, even for an instant. God knows the suffering of her mind. ||2||
Sikhi is wrapped up in paradox, at first it looks monotheistic courtesy of the poetry of it's scripture, but it's actually closer to panentheism.

So basically an inner dialogue? I haven't heard that concept before. Is there a certain way Sikhs are supposed to pray?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
  • An Impersonal God
  • No emphasis on rituals, superstitions, or prayer
  • free thinking
I think that you are in an age where you are allowed to and should have plenty of fun. Note, I don't mean that you are in an age where you are not capable of high intellectual thought, just that you should not seek to have final answers which are going to answer your life's issues, perspectives, way of life, and future.
Based on your three criteria, I can offer you a recommendation, out of my personal experience. You are in a great time in which you can explore, in this case explore world religion, and decide what resonates with you and what you feel you can cherish from different cultures and historical periods from around the world.
Pantheism does not demand a personal God. You can reflect on the natural world without attach to it personifications. In addition in Pantheism you may lead a life free of rituals, superstitions or prayer, and can enjoy free thought without the expectations to conform to dogma.
What I am offering you is basically to put spiritual opinions on hold, and simply reflect on nature and the world, as is. And in the process, since you obviously have a passion for world religion, read for enjoyment and to sharp your intellect and broaden your horizons. Trust me, once you read enough, and experience enough, you will already know what you agree with more, what you disagree with, what you appreciate but cannot adhere to, etc.
It should be an enriching and enjoyable process which may take years, and I think not being obligated to decide on one path which limits you on theology or rituals is a great advantage. Study theology for the sake of studying theology, and if you wish to meditate, or practice various traditions do it for their sake as well.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Hello I was wondering if I could get some advice from the forum. I will give a summary of my spiritual path so far.

I come from a family that is mostly Christian. I also have a few relatives who are Muslim, but overall basically everyone in my family is a member of one of the Abrahamic religions. I was basically a Christian for most of my life. Last year when I was 17 I decided to research Christianity, which eventually lead to me leaving it. There was a brief period when I was a Deist. I formally became an Atheist when I turned 18 and started college last fall. I went through what I call an "angry Atheist" phase for a while where I basically was angry at Christianity because I felt I had been lied to for most of my life.

I got interested in Buddhism and tried it out for a while but it just didn't fit me. I liked the ideas and concepts but something felt missing. I remained an Atheist until about march this year. I once again believed in God because I think something created the Universe/Multiverse. I looked into Omnisim for a while and liked it, but it didn't really have any core beliefs. I then got interested in Hinduism after a wandering monk came to campus one day and handed out free copies of Hindu related books such as the Bhagavad Gita.

I began studying Hinduism and slowly adopted some of it's beliefs. After turning 19 this summer I adopted Hinduism, though I was and still am hesitant in calling myself a "Hindu". But over, I'd say the past month I've felt a growing feeling of disillusionment. I haven't felt a connection to any of the deities particularly the one I liked the most, Shiva. There are rituals and certain things which don't make sense to me.

I've felt a pulling towards Islam and I like some of it's ideas but there are also a multitude of things I don't agree with. I couldn't see myself ever being a Christian again. I'm really moving away from the idea of a personal God. I wish I felt the initial connection I had with Hinduism, but I don't anymore. So now I'm basically confused. These are the three things which at this current point I am looking for.

• An Impersonal God
  • free thinking

Don't worry. I'm in the same boat as you.

I too was raised as a Christian, but turned away from it. I looked into Buddhism and practiced it for over a year before looking into Hinduism. For the past few months, I practiced and loved it, but I have been experiencing some doubt. Now, I identify as neither, but still practice and take inspiration from both. I do this so I can search into various schools in both traditions before I decide one to devote myself to. That is, if I even choose one at all.

Being a seeker sometimes means you will not get it right on the first (or second, third, fourth. etc.) time. I have been seeking for about 3 years now and, while there are various traditions I'm very interested in, I still haven't found one. Just give it a little time and it will come naturally. :)

By the way, based on your credentials, I would say Deism, Pantheism, Panentheism, Taoism or Secular Buddhism.

Philomath

Sadhaka
Don't worry. I'm in the same boat as you.

I too was raised as a Christian, but turned away from it. I looked into Buddhism and practiced it for over a year before looking into Hinduism. For the past few months, I practiced and loved it, but I have been experiencing some doubt. Now, I identify as neither, but still practice and take inspiration from both. I do this so I can search into various schools in both traditions before I decide one to devote myself to. That is, if I even choose one at all.

Being a seeker sometimes means you will not get it right on the first (or second, third, fourth. etc.) time. I have been seeking for about 3 years now and, while there are various traditions I'm very interested in, I still haven't found one. Just give it a little time and it will come naturally. :)

By the way, based on your credentials, I would say Deism, Pantheism, Panentheism, Taoism or Secular Buddhism.

You've been seeking for a longer period of time than I have lol. I think a lot of my confusion about all of this might have been cleared up last night when I had the strangest dream about praying and meditating towards a Shiva Murti. I'm not sure what it meant but I think I need to have more patience.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hello I was wondering if I could get some advice from the forum. I will give a summary of my spiritual path so far.

I come from a family that is mostly Christian. I also have a few relatives who are Muslim, but overall basically everyone in my family is a member of one of the Abrahamic religions. I was basically a Christian for most of my life. Last year when I was 17 I decided to research Christianity, which eventually lead to me leaving it. There was a brief period when I was a Deist. I formally became an Atheist when I turned 18 and started college last fall. I went through what I call an "angry Atheist" phase for a while where I basically was angry at Christianity because I felt I had been lied to for most of my life.

I got interested in Buddhism and tried it out for a while but it just didn't fit me. I liked the ideas and concepts but something felt missing. I remained an Atheist until about march this year. I once again believed in God because I think something created the Universe/Multiverse. I looked into Omnisim for a while and liked it, but it didn't really have any core beliefs. I then got interested in Hinduism after a wandering monk came to campus one day and handed out free copies of Hindu related books such as the Bhagavad Gita.

I began studying Hinduism and slowly adopted some of it's beliefs. After turning 19 this summer I adopted Hinduism, though I was and still am hesitant in calling myself a "Hindu". But over, I'd say the past month I've felt a growing feeling of disillusionment. I haven't felt a connection to any of the deities particularly the one I liked the most, Shiva. There are rituals and certain things which don't make sense to me.

I've felt a pulling towards Islam and I like some of it's ideas but there are also a multitude of things I don't agree with. I couldn't see myself ever being a Christian again. I'm really moving away from the idea of a personal God. I wish I felt the initial connection I had with Hinduism, but I don't anymore. So now I'm basically confused. These are the three things which at this current point I am looking for.

• An Impersonal God
  • free thinking

Sounds like Vedanta, to me. Ever read Swami Vivekananda?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You've been seeking for a longer period of time than I have lol. I think a lot of my confusion about all of this might have been cleared up last night when I had the strangest dream about praying and meditating towards a Shiva Murti. I'm not sure what it meant but I think I need to have more patience.

So... I take it you're not ready to join my cult yet?