• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before they die

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Have you ever felt closer to family after they die the before? My aunt died three weeks ago and even though we were close we didn't hang out much. We did with family, holidays, she was many best friend. Anyway, I set up an altar for her with my grandmothers. I seem to be more connected and we communicate more. Kind feels like I should have talked to her more when she was living.

Besides the point. I was going to put this more in a place where folks worship by altar. Didnt know which.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Have you ever felt closer to family after they die the before? My aunt died three weeks ago and even though we were close we didn't hang out much. We did with family, holidays, she was many best friend. Anyway, I set up an altar for her with my grandmothers. I seem to be more connected and we communicate more. Kind feels like I should have talked to her more when she was living.

Besides the point. I was going to put this more in a place where folks worship by altar. Didnt know which.
Well that's kinda cool. I really don't know how that works, but it's cool.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well that's kinda cool. I really don't know how that works, but it's cool.

I can't remember where I picked up the practice. Probably catholicism and the "magic" part neoish paganism if I'd call it that. I have my aunts ashes in her urn so its a bit more. My family and I went to my grandmother's grave and we took turns taking some ashes and pouring them on her grave as she, my aunt, wanted. My sisters boyfriend must have been creeped out and thought it was witchcraft. I looked it up. Some Europeans, can't remember where, used to do it.

WalterTrull

Godfella

I can't remember where I picked up the practice. Probably catholicism and the "magic" part neoish paganism if I'd call it that. I have my aunts ashes in her urn so its a bit more. My family and I went to my grandmother's grave and we took turns taking some ashes and pouring them on her grave as she, my aunt, wanted. My sisters boyfriend must have been creeped out and thought it was witchcraft. I looked it up. Some Europeans, can't remember where, used to do it.
I'm a "mental universe" kinda guy. That being said, my mantra is: "Whatever works". In a mental universe, absolutely anything is possible. However, we need some solid ground to get our bearings. Once we've got our bearings, we tend to build mental jigs to accomplish things. I have no doubt that it is possible to be aware of those passed, but converse? ehhh..., unlikely because of frame of reference problems. I'd never rule it out though. Whatever you're doing seems to work for you, so that's great.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Before my mother and father-in-law died I had been exposed to many who regretted not spending more time with close ones. So I did try to let my mother know how I felt about her (she died rather quickly) and spend time with my father-in-law. It was totally worth the time.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm a "mental universe" kinda guy. That being said, my mantra is: "Whatever works". In a mental universe, absolutely anything is possible. However, we need some solid ground to get our bearings. Once we've got our bearings, we tend to build mental jigs to accomplish things. I have no doubt that it is possible to be aware of those passed, but converse? ehhh..., unlikely because of frame of reference problems. I'd never rule it out though. Whatever you're doing seems to work for you, so that's great.

Haha. Yeah, converse. When I took precepts one of The Buddha's teachings was not attaching to spirits. Then many Buddhist cultures do it and he also said to give offerings so people will have good rebirth.

Shrugs. I wouldn't have said I have culture given Americans are put down for not having a " real" one. We do just not distinct.