• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before the Word Homosexual

Clara Tea

The word homosexual was coined in 1895. Prior to that what was the word used in the bible instead of homosexual?

Has 'Homosexual' Always Been in the Bible?

Snapping snarling Christians cursing Gays will not get into heaven. Else....heaven is a place of snapping and snarling angels. Who'd want to go there? It would be hell.

Christians, in heaven, and on earth, are "supposed to be" forgiving, kind, compassionate people (or souls).

This is why humans are supposed to refrain from war (and certainly refrain from torture camps), help the homeless, etc. But, as you can see, the world is a mess, so, it is obvious to all of us, and, especially obvious to God and Christ that we are doing a lousy job.

To meet up with Christ, in heaven, you must walk in the footsteps of Christ. That is, you must do the things that Jesus did.

Remember that Jesus healed the sick (and he would advocate universal health care in modern times....known as ObamaCare, though there are many inequities and other problems in the system). Remember that Jesus railed against churches dripping in expensive bobbles, and sought to feed the hungry, and no double would try to house the homeless when we have Christ's second coming.

Christ will have his second coming with a tongue like a sword (cutting us with his sharp words....blasting us for not being more like Him).

Having said this, our goal is to obey the bible, but not judge others if they don't meet all goals of the bible. It is up to God to judge, and only God may judge. It is our goal to be pleasant and kind.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

The link above lists the main passages of the bible that condemn homosexuality.

So, remember, when you see preachers, like Reverend Jimmy Swaggart, that paying for a prostitute was wrong, but we shouldn't punish him for it. When you see pictures of the son (also a reverend) of Reverend Robert Schuller (Crystal Cathedral), with a blonde, scantily clad young woman in one arm, a bottle of booze in another arm, and his pants down in public with his penis sticking out, it is not our job to judge how mammon corrupts and how people use their power for evil and not good. It is God's job to deal with evil, not ours.

So, if your favorite televangelist happens to have his head spin around (many revolutions), and projectile vomit plagues of locusts (and many televangelists have been shown to be evil), it is not our job to judge them. They will be judged (and, in fact, they already have been judged), and the hoards of people that they misled will all be going to hell to be judged by Satan. It is not our job to judge them.

When Reverend Hagee advised that we pray to Christ for us to kill more effectively in war, that evil should not be judged by us. We should steer clear of such advise, and recognize that such advise comes directly from the mouth of Satan. But, know well, that Satan will judge Reverend Hagee when Hagee goes to his final "reward." Hagee's poor, miserable, followers, will meet similar ends, having been tempted by Satan, and having followed Satan to support war. But it is up to Satan and God to judge them, not us. It is our job to remain cheerful, kind, and avoid Satan's many traps.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I'm no historian and can't speak to that. It certainly shouldn't be.

Actually, in terms of tolerance, through time it has been up and down. It may very well be that in ancient times, people were much more tolerant than modern times. Now we are probably looking at today as modern times. But homosexuality was highly plundered as a immoral tool until almost yesterday.

Shall I give you a shocker? In 1853 (I hope I got the year right. Maybe a year earlier) the Ottoman Empire, the so called last Islamic khalifat gave full gay rights to its citizens. Yep. Now in the U.S, until around 2015, all the states didnt have a uniform gay rights standard. Im not sure how it is now, but I know in 2015 it was seriously clamped down.

Anyway, so in the modern world, the Ottoman Empire being the so called khalifate was very different to todays islamic theocracies. It could be a pendulum.

Thats just one example. There is more. :)

Clara Tea

Snapping snarling Christians cursing Gays will not get into heaven. Else....heaven is a place of snapping and snarling angels. Who'd want to go there? It would be hell.

Christians, in heaven, and on earth, are "supposed to be" forgiving, kind, compassionate people (or souls).

This is why humans are supposed to refrain from war (and certainly refrain from torture camps), help the homeless, etc. But, as you can see, the world is a mess, so, it is obvious to all of us, and, especially obvious to God and Christ that we are doing a lousy job.

To meet up with Christ, in heaven, you must walk in the footsteps of Christ. That is, you must do the things that Jesus did.

Remember that Jesus healed the sick (and he would advocate universal health care in modern times....known as ObamaCare, though there are many inequities and other problems in the system). Remember that Jesus railed against churches dripping in expensive bobbles, and sought to feed the hungry, and no double would try to house the homeless when we have Christ's second coming.

Christ will have his second coming with a tongue like a sword (cutting us with his sharp words....blasting us for not being more like Him).

Having said this, our goal is to obey the bible, but not judge others if they don't meet all goals of the bible. It is up to God to judge, and only God may judge. It is our goal to be pleasant and kind.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

The link above lists the main passages of the bible that condemn homosexuality.

So, remember, when you see preachers, like Reverend Jimmy Swaggart, that paying for a prostitute was wrong, but we shouldn't punish him for it. When you see pictures of the son (also a reverend) of Reverend Robert Schuller (Crystal Cathedral), with a blonde, scantily clad young woman in one arm, a bottle of booze in another arm, and his pants down in public with his penis sticking out, it is not our job to judge how mammon corrupts and how people use their power for evil and not good. It is God's job to deal with evil, not ours.

So, if your favorite televangelist happens to have his head spin around (many revolutions), and projectile vomit plagues of locusts (and many televangelists have been shown to be evil), it is not our job to judge them. They will be judged (and, in fact, they already have been judged), and the hoards of people that they misled will all be going to hell to be judged by Satan. It is not our job to judge them.

When Reverend Hagee advised that we pray to Christ for us to kill more effectively in war, that evil should not be judged by us. We should steer clear of such advise, and recognize that such advise comes directly from the mouth of Satan. But, know well, that Satan will judge Reverend Hagee when Hagee goes to his final "reward." Hagee's poor, miserable, followers, will meet similar ends, having been tempted by Satan, and having followed Satan to support war. But it is up to Satan and God to judge them, not us. It is our job to remain cheerful, kind, and avoid Satan's many traps.

Jerry Falwell Jr. - GLAAD Accountability Project

The link, above, explains much about high pitched Reverend Jerry Falwell.

Sodom was about rape and being inhospital. It tells this in Ezekiel. It has nothing to do with homosexuality, same sex attraction
“Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty and committed abomination before Me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭16:49-50‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
The prideful, haughty attitude with the other attitudes led to the abominations in Sodom. Men having sex with men, women with women have always been an abomination in God’s eyes. The only sexual expression God blesses is between husband and wife according to the Scriptures.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
But they all burst in to show tunes at the drop of a hat, right?
Well, I do for sure -- but it drives my partner to distraction. Same as when I go off on a long Shakespeare monologue, which I am most apt to do. "O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention, a kingdom for a stage, princes to act. And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

The word homosexual was coined in 1895. Prior to that what was the word used in the bible instead of homosexual?

I don’t think it really matters what the word is, because the problem and thing that is not accepted is the wrong sexual act:

You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestible.
Lev. 18:22

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I do for sure -- but it drives my partner to distraction. Same as when I go off on a long Shakespeare monologue, which I am most apt to do. "O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention, a kingdom for a stage, princes to act. And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"
I now picture you singing Cunegonde's finale.....

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I now picture you singing Cunegonde's finale.....
While I've always loved Candide, I only sing male parts, sorry to let you down. I have no recording (it's a hundred years ago), but here's a picture of me singing the part of Count Von Asterberg in Sigmund Romberg's "The Student Prince." I'm fourth from the right, the tallest one just under and to the left of the Inn sign. (I played another role in this production, as you can see from the text, so this was my second -- and very different -- costume of the performance, as a "powdered lackey." And yes, my name is Allen, as you can infer for yourself.

This, by the way, was in 1965 (pre-history, for most members here).

By the way, the reviewer (Professor Judson Purdy) remarked of my voice that it was "high spirited and very masculine."
voyageur1964538pick_0026.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While I've always loved Candide, I only sing male parts, sorry to let you down. I have no recording (it's a hundred years ago), but here's a picture of me singing the part of Count Von Asterberg in Sigmund Romberg's "The Student Prince." I'm fourth from the right, the tallest one just under and to the left of the Inn sign. (I played another role in this production, as you can see from the text, so this was my second -- and very different -- costume of the performance, as a "powdered lackey." And yes, my name is Allen, as you can infer for yourself.

This, by the way, was in 1965 (pre-history, for most members here).

By the way, the reviewer (Professor Judson Purdy) remarked of my voice that it was "high spirited and very masculine."
View attachment 51864
You were a handsome devil.
How has age treated you?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You were a handsome devil.
How has age treated you?
Pretty good, for the most part -- although a dicey spine making exercise more difficult (plus a decided taste for beer) has added a few pounds. My lover still says that I'm a "babe magnet." (He might be biased, but my bar tender recently said, "I dreamed about you last night -- so who knows.)

Oh, I forgot to mention hair -- but that's because there's really not much of it to remember.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If I were a god that created poisonous spiders knowing what they would grow up to be, then yes I would, otherwise I might call my self a sadist for creating something then destroying it, when I knew what would happen all the time!
I am really sorry that you do not know just how far from the truth that comment is.
Ignorance is a very shaky platform from which to form an opinion.
All creation has its place in the grand scheme of things, but at present we are nearing the end of a very important object lesson and nothing is as it was meant to be.....God has provided all we need to know in his instruction manual, to show us why we are in this situation, and how he intended to fix it....but I assume that you’ve never really read it?

Knowledge is the one thing that dispels ignorance, but even then, it has to come from the right source. Where does your information come from so that you can judge the Creator as if you are somehow superior because you wouldn’t have done what he did....? I am always amused by the arrogance of this stance.

You are not God, but perhaps if you knew even a fraction of what he knows, you might just change your mind about him....? :shrug:

Justanatheist

I am really sorry that you do not know just how far from the truth that comment is.
Ignorance is a very shaky platform from which to form an opinion.
All creation has its place in the grand scheme of things, but at present we are nearing the end of a very important object lesson and nothing is as it was meant to be.....God has provided all we need to know in his instruction manual, to show us why we are in this situation, and how he intended to fix it....but I assume that you’ve never really read it?

Knowledge is the one thing that dispels ignorance, but even then, it has to come from the right source. Where does your information come from so that you can judge the Creator as if you are somehow superior because you wouldn’t have done what he did....? I am always amused by the arrogance of this stance.

You are not God, but perhaps if you knew even a fraction of what he knows, you might just change your mind about him....? :shrug:

All you have done is made a series of assertions, care to back it up with some evidence, how about starting by showing who your instruction manual was written by?

The truth is you do not know who wrote the bible and neither does anyone else. You believe by faith not knowledge, you do not know if your god exists and I judge because I can pretty much prove my existence that gives me a huge advantage over your god.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
All you have done is made a series of assertions, care to back it up with some evidence, how about starting by showing who your instruction manual was written by?
If you had studied the Bible you would never be able to attribute it to mere men. It is one harmonious story from Genesis to Revelation, written by a wide variety of 'secretaries' from Kings to fishermen, over a period of about 1600 years. No work of man could have accomplished that, or enlightened us concerning the purpose of our existence here without contradiction. It contains knowledge that no human at the time could possibly have known and was not in harmony with what was believed by the masses outside of God's nation.

The truth is you do not know who wrote the bible and neither does anyone else. You believe by faith not knowledge

Yes indeed faith is required, but then faith is also required to believe in all that science presents as fact. You don't honestly believe that a theory qualifies as a fact, do you? If it were fact, it would no longer be a theory. I have noted that the scientific community found it necessary to change the definition of the word "theory" when applied to science....it was very inconvenient to leave it as the original meaning. When is a fact not a fact? When is a theory a fact? When science says so.....no proof required.

you do not know if your god exists and I judge because I can pretty much prove my existence that gives me a huge advantage over your god.
If you say so.....I have ample proof that my God exists and you cannot prove that I don't.
I'll take my proof over yours any day......its my choice, just as yours is your choice. I don't have to convince you of anything because if God has disqualified us from his future plans, he would never have invited us into his spiritual family in the first place. No one gets in without an invitation, and not everyone gets an invitation for obvious reasons. Then again, not everyone who comes in, stays in. God forces no one to worship him.

Justanatheist

If you had studied the Bible you would never be able to attribute it to mere men. It is one harmonious story from Genesis to Revelation, written by a wide variety of 'secretaries' from Kings to fishermen, over a period of about 1600 years. No work of man could have accomplished that, or enlightened us concerning the purpose of our existence here without contradiction. It contains knowledge that no human at the time could possibly have known and was not in harmony with what was believed by the masses outside of God's nation.
Look up Argument from Incredulity Fallacy your assertions above are a great example.

Yes indeed faith is required, but then faith is also required to believe in all that science presents as fact. You don't honestly believe that a theory qualifies as a fact, do you? If it were fact, it would no longer be a theory. I have noted that the scientific community found it necessary to change the definition of the word "theory" when applied to science....it was very inconvenient to leave it as the original meaning. When is a fact not a fact? When is a theory a fact? When science says so.....no proof required.
I have no idea why you are bringing science into this I have not mentioned it in this thread. Got any other stawman arguments you want to bring up?

If you say so.....I have ample proof that my God exists and you cannot prove that I don't.
I'll take my proof over yours any day......its my choice, just as yours is your choice. I don't have to convince you of anything because if God has disqualified us from his future plans, he would never have invited us into his spiritual family in the first place. No one gets in without an invitation, and not everyone gets an invitation for obvious reasons. Then again, not everyone who comes in, stays in. God forces no one to worship him.

No the burden of proof lies entirely with you, if you want to ramble on about what god knows then it is up to you to prove he exists. I can prove I exist, so my opinion right or wrong is at least coming from something tangible.

If you have ample proof your god exists show it and step up for your Nobel prize!