• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before the Word Homosexual

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
This is something I brought up to a seminary student years ago. Sodom would not have been devoid of innocents.
The people who perished in the flood included women and children too, but none of them survived either.....
in all likelihood, that was because someone who consents to an activity, even if they do not commit the action themselves is also guilty in God's eyes. Children learn what they live.....so, in that environment, what were they going to learn was "normal" behavior?

If you come across a nest of poisonous spiders in your house, do you spare the babies if you already know what they will grow up to be? :shrug:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We know for sure that in Ancient Rome there were so many (all vulgar) ways to call gays.
Thanks to Catullus we know all these terms.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Following Hindu mythology, Indians knew transgenders as 'Shikhandi', after a brave warrior of Mahabharata siding with the Pandavas. He was a She before sex change. Shikhandi - Wikipedia
Interesting, thanks for sharing this story. I did not know about the girl boy change. Shikhandi's sister was Draupadi, one of the main characters of the Bhagavad Gita.

I know there is lots of symbolism in Bhagavad Gita, which I find more interesting and intriguing than literal descriptions, which sometimes are not even true (if figurative interpretation is the only true interpretation). This might be very well the case with the story of Shikhandi's changing from girl to boy also.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
They were going to enter Lot's house and gang rape those men, because God struck them blind.....hardly something he would have done to then just for being inhospitable. :shrug:

Well...perhaps it depends on your interpretation, but he's done more for less...

stvdv

If you come across a nest of poisonous spiders in your house, do you spare the babies if you already know what they will grow up to be? :shrug:
That's quite harsh symbolism?

That we should we kill off babies (human ones) IF we were able to foresee that they would become, for example, small Hitlers?

BUT It does make sense in a way

Sodom and Gomorra was BC 2000, so roughly 1000 years after God incarnated on earth as Krishna, who ushered in the Kali Yuga Era (Era full of wickedness), which only gets worse, and we're still in it).

I remember my Master saying "in the time of Krishna, God (as Krishna) killed all the bad people. If God had to do that now, none would be spared".

So it makes sense what you say. 1000 years after Krishna God was still in the "kill all wicked humans" mood.
Lucky for us God changed gear, and decided to come to earth with the "sword of Love", because the situation is too bad now (all humans act wicked in a way on occasion), and God had to kill us all (including @Deeje and @stvdv, although both try hard to be good:)).

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I keep seeing memes about archaeological finds of clearly homosexual couples (buried together, sharing a home, I can't remember the specifics) and the caption is always "Historians: ah yes, they were the best of roommates"
It seems homosexuality was largely a non issue in ancient times.

Justanatheist

If I were a god that created poisonous spiders knowing what they would grow up to be, then yes I would, otherwise I might call my self a sadist for creating something then destroying it, when I knew what would happen all the time!

firedragon

Veteran Member
What is not noted much seems to be the similarity in the Biblical usage of a word that represents homosexuality to the word homosexual. I mean Saul. Not exactly the same, but similar in nature. Only thing is, the greek word used there is masculine.

The word Arsen means man. Koitus is the ancestor of Coitus meaning to bed. At least the word Arsenokoite means "homosexual" as in Male to Male homosexuality. I think you can easily deem it one word, but it describes what its talking about.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sodom and Gomorra was BC 2000, so roughly 1000 years after God incarnated on earth as Krishna, who ushered the Kali Yuga Era (Era full of wickedness), which only gets worse, and we're still in it).

I just want to clarify that Kaliyuga began after Krishna left Earth to return to Vaikuntha. It’s an important point, lest it reinforce people’s idea that the gods are actually demons and/or sent by the devil. Which we know is preposterous because Maa Durga and Maa Kālī made careers of killing demons. ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hinduism is always so interesting because third gender stories seem to date back, like, almost forever.
You know we have HUGELY popular LGBTQIA Gods and Goddesses. They are revered equally by heterosexuals too.

Bahuchara, Yelamma, Eravan.
270012.jpg
DxbqZ-TW0AAY36d.jpg
ba64f0_a7f39cdc9adf44edb046871a992a3445.jpg

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You know we have HUGELY popular LGBTQIA Gods and Goddesses. They are equally revered by heterosexuals also.

Not to mention Mohini. For those who don’t know, Mohini is an avatar of Vishnu. She appeared as an extraordinarily beautiful woman to deceive the demons into returning the nectar of immortality to the gods. But she was so beautiful that when Shiva saw her he ran after her, leaving Parvati mortified and infuriated. Shiva and Mohini had a fling, giving birth to Ayyappa. So for at least one purpose and probably unintended result, Vishnu did a little transgendering.

Justanatheist

The Thebians called them the Sacred Band, the most elite form of warriors...............................................

The Spartans just called them Warriors.

Not sure if they liked musicals though.

stvdv

I just want to clarify that Kaliyuga began after Krishna left Earth to return to Vaikuntha. It’s an important point, lest it reinforce people’s idea that the gods are actually demons and/or sent by the devil. Which we know is preposterous because Maa Durga and Maa Kālī made careers of killing demons. ;)
:cool::D:cool:

Those who have these preposterous ideas will have them anyway, however we phrase it, so I don't mind feeding them in advance:D.

And knowing Kali Yuga lasts more than 100.000 years it would be silly to debate about 100 years before or after Krishna left the earth I think. But debating about God is silly anyway when you think about it;)

And now they can even debate "you see Krishna is God, and didn't even manage to improve things, and worse, He chickened out when the **** hit the fan" (just to give the anti-guys some extra food:D for thought)

Anyway when Avatar is on Earth then it can't be Kali Yuga (era of wicketness) IMO. So, I do agree with you that it could not be Kali Yuga while Krishna was on Earth; before and after "yes", but not during God's stay on Earth. Such an event is most auspicious. The moment God incarnates we have God on earth, meaning Heaven is on Earth, because Heaven is where God is;) how can it be any different?