• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before the MAGA hats celebrate.....

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
You mean, like Trump's many accusations?
Such as Obama is not legally qualified to be President? Or that Obama ordered the FBI to wiretap his campaign headquarters?
That sort of thing, just to name a couple? "Prosecute'm"?
Tom
Hmm, how will they react to this one? Desperate goal post shift? Whataboutism? Schroedinger's joke? Studiously pretending not to have seen it? Let's watch!

Shad

Veteran Member
The media reacting to a story as reported makes a hate crime now? Good one.

That is what I have read from those arguing it is a hate crime. It is not my argument. Do note you ignored the targeting fact completely

The media did more than react. Many treated it as fact and started complaining. CNN had panel and panel with no one even entertaining the idea it was a false claim.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You mean, like Trump's many accusations?
Such as Obama is not legally qualified to be President? Or that Obama ordered the FBI to wiretap his campaign headquarters?
That sort of thing, just to name a couple? "Prosecute'm"?
Tom
Some accusations are prosecutable, eg, accusation of assault.
Others are not, eg, calling someone a "poopy head".
To know the difference is to be wise.

Cooky

Veteran Member
If I wear a hat with a message, the only one acceptable is.....
new-w-tags-lot-of-2-womens-menards-baseball-caps-hats-pink-camo-8fdf5013a5ba46f7bcf5bc3da5a44640.jpg

I support no politician, but I do support my favorite lumber yard.

I used to work at Menards, in Valparaiso, IN.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Had to discuss this more because in my morning Facebook feed, this news station I tend to like, there were plenty of Trump supporters coming out overemphasizing the level of disgust they had for this disgraced actor. As they should. I firmly believe any individual who has been falsely accused and have been vindicated from such an accusation should feel tremendous disgust.

However, if you’re going to exert such energy that energy must also be equally matched in other instances where people have been falsely accused. I found it comical that within this Facebook newsfeed there were many Trump supporters being very vivid in their fear regarding Smollette’s narrative on the issue as if MAGA hat wearers.

One guy wrote:

“Jussie ought to be ashamed of himself and all this because he wanted to make more than $65k an episode? He should be charged with a hate crime.”

Okay I’m on board and yes I believe as I said in another thread there ought to be punishment beyond the system we have placed where people who falsely accuse others ought to get the same or similar treatment and ought to serve time for wasting police resources. Now of course there goes the argument about hurting real victims and how this would prevent real victims from coming out.

Now let us say all things being equal if such instances did happen, and the falsely accused being vindicated also found justice against the false accuser in them being tried, convicted, and jailed, do MAGA hat wearers hold this principle to all?

Will you a Trump supporter, who believes Smollete ought to be charged for a hate crime believe this woman in the following video should be charged with a hate crime?

Or this cop who shot himself and blamed it on two black men?

Or the kid delivering newspapers had the cops called on him

Or the numerous other instances I can place where persons of color are falsely accused for doing something which ends up being benign. You see, Smollete’s case is popular because race and homophobia is sensitive and is taken serious by the greater public. However if we are going to emphasize the seriousness of Smollette’s claims, this energy needs to be equally distributed to other cases as well.

Trump speaks out on this case because as a racist president, he is only concerned with the white supremacist narrative not the many other instances where Americans have been killed for being falsely accused. I wonder if MAGA hat wearers believe if Carolyn Bryant Donham the woman who falsely accused Emmitt Till, which resulted in his death ought to be charged for perjury and a hate crime for her false accusation?

Personally, I have no problem with Jussie. Even after this stunt.

Let's just try to remember that not all Trump supporters are the same. Everyone is different, and using wide brushes to characterize entire groups is no better than racism.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Personally, I have no problem with Jussie. Even after this stunt.

Let's just try to remember that not all Trump supporters are the same. Everyone is different, and using wide brushes to characterize entire groups is no better than racism.

Kinda like not all Trump supporters are racist but all racists are Trump supporters right?

tas8831

Meanwhile In whataboutism land there is a false equivalency.
Wait don’t you guys do that all the time?
Yes, yes they do. Absurdly so.

I recall one time reading an article in some 'right of center' rag, forget which one it was now, but it was written after a couple of right wing pundits were in lukewarm water for calling people names or doing something grotesque (Limbaugh was the main protagonist at the time, it may have been after he accused MJ Fox of 'faking' his Parkinson's ). It was all pooh-poohed, since 'the left has Rachel Maddow.' I'm not a huge Maddow fan, but I am quite unaware of her mocking people's disabilities or calling people names or making fun of people's appearance.

Then there was the reaction to Al Franken's book "Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat Idiot". Sure, it had some fat jokes in it (after all, Limbaugh does not shy away - if you can believe it - from making fun of people's appearance), but it also had pretty well sourced arguments and takedowns of Limbaugh lies and nonsense. The right's response? Why, sharing memes (via email, I suppose at the time) of Franken with exaggerated buck teeth with the caption 'Al Franken is Buck Toothed Moron". Actually saw that hanging in the background when a right-wing pundit was asked about Franken's book on TV. Missing was any actual rebuttal to Franken's research - just name calling.
Which is now the norm for the failing Trump Party and their low ratings hero.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, yes they do. Absurdly so.

I recall one time reading an article in some 'right of center' rag, forget which one it was now, but it was written after a couple of right wing pundits were in lukewarm water for calling people names or doing something grotesque (Limbaugh was the main protagonist at the time, it may have been after he accused MJ Fox of 'faking' his Parkinson's ). It was all pooh-poohed, since 'the left has Rachel Maddow.' I'm not a huge Maddow fan, but I am quite unaware of her mocking people's disabilities or calling people names or making fun of people's appearance.
I don't know what Maddow does, but I observe that
lefties are also fond of mocking people's physical traits.
Sins of one side do not justify the other doing the same.

tas8831

I don't know what Maddow does, but I observe that
lefties are also fond of mocking people's physical traits.
Sins of one side do not justify the other doing the same.

These lefties you refer to - are they on TV/radio? Or are they on twitter and facebook?

Apples, meet oranges.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
These lefties you refer to - are they on TV/radio? Or are they on twitter and facebook?

Apples, meet oranges.
While there are public examples, I'm thinking of my experience on RF,
where we all get to experience such abuse, eg, age, race, gender, weight.
This isn't an accurately proportional microcosm of the rest of the world,
but it's still representative.