• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before the MAGA hats celebrate.....

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Had to discuss this more because in my morning Facebook feed, this news station I tend to like, there were plenty of Trump supporters coming out overemphasizing the level of disgust they had for this disgraced actor. As they should. I firmly believe any individual who has been falsely accused and have been vindicated from such an accusation should feel tremendous disgust.

However, if you’re going to exert such energy that energy must also be equally matched in other instances where people have been falsely accused. I found it comical that within this Facebook newsfeed there were many Trump supporters being very vivid in their fear regarding Smollette’s narrative on the issue as if MAGA hat wearers.

One guy wrote:

“Jussie ought to be ashamed of himself and all this because he wanted to make more than $65k an episode? He should be charged with a hate crime.”

Okay I’m on board and yes I believe as I said in another thread there ought to be punishment beyond the system we have placed where people who falsely accuse others ought to get the same or similar treatment and ought to serve time for wasting police resources. Now of course there goes the argument about hurting real victims and how this would prevent real victims from coming out.

Now let us say all things being equal if such instances did happen, and the falsely accused being vindicated also found justice against the false accuser in them being tried, convicted, and jailed, do MAGA hat wearers hold this principle to all?

Will you a Trump supporter, who believes Smollete ought to be charged for a hate crime believe this woman in the following video should be charged with a hate crime?

Or this cop who shot himself and blamed it on two black men?

Or the kid delivering newspapers had the cops called on him

Or the numerous other instances I can place where persons of color are falsely accused for doing something which ends up being benign. You see, Smollete’s case is popular because race and homophobia is sensitive and is taken serious by the greater public. However if we are going to emphasize the seriousness of Smollette’s claims, this energy needs to be equally distributed to other cases as well.

Trump speaks out on this case because as a racist president, he is only concerned with the white supremacist narrative not the many other instances where Americans have been killed for being falsely accused. I wonder if MAGA hat wearers believe if Carolyn Bryant Donham the woman who falsely accused Emmitt Till, which resulted in his death ought to be charged for perjury and a hate crime for her false accusation?

Shad

Veteran Member
I doubt Somellet can be charged with a hate crime as there is no actual victim. It would stretching the law beyond reason in my view.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This thread seems to be about Jussie Smollett's claim of having been the victim of a hate crime back in January.

Apparently it has been found out that he staged the whole thing, presumably as a promotional spur for his career.

Quite regrettable if true. Hardly measurable up to what the Donald and his supporters actually do, or even to what they openly admit, but regrettable all the same.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't bear reading these lengthy angry screeds.
What's it all about, other than hating those hats?

It's about whether there should be consistency in outrage over false accusations, whatever they may be.

He's got a point, I think.

I think any false accusation or false police report should be punished to the full extent of the law.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's about whether there should be consistency in outrage over false accusations, whatever they may be.

He's got a point, I think.

I think any false accusation or false police report should be punished to the full extent of the law.
I agree.
But we must take care because we don't want to discourage claimants
from admitting fraud when it results in someone innocent being persecuted
or prosecuted. And it should make no difference whether the perp is
black or white, male or female, gay or straight...what's wrong is wrong.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Wait don’t you guys do that all the time?

More whataboutism...

Funny thing is the people who seem to be calling for the harshest penalties available (which I would assume would include hate crimes) are not MAGAgians (magians) but those who feel they lost the most face when they bought it hook, line, and sinker and who lost an opportunity to exploit it for personal political gain., Al Sharpton, Kamala Harris etc.

There is no "you guys" the VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy) does not exist except in the frightened mouldy minds of the paranoid and delusional.

(Next VRWC meeting at Rabbit grove Epsilon Pi 532 K vS 0098)

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I can't bear reading these lengthy angry screeds.
What's it all about, other than hating those hats?

I'm actually thinking about buying one now, maybe I will be verbally or physically assaulted at stores and restaurants I like which will allow me to sue or get free stuff from them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm actually thinking about buying one now, maybe I will be verbally or physically assaulted at stores and restaurants I like which will allow me to sue or get free stuff from them.
And it could be healthy for those offended.
Their responses are positively aerobic.
(I advise wearing a cup.)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This might not be the best example of the phenomenon. Accusing someone on the left of lying, for example, when the current President lies so often that people keep tallies of the number of lies per day is a better example.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Never big on them myself.
If I wear a hat with a message, the only one acceptable is.....
new-w-tags-lot-of-2-womens-menards-baseball-caps-hats-pink-camo-8fdf5013a5ba46f7bcf5bc3da5a44640.jpg

I support no politician, but I do support my favorite lumber yard.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Whats a Menard?
It's only the greatest lumberyard/clothier/grocer/hardware store spreading throughout the midwest!
Ref....
Menards - Wikipedia
Their service & pricing beat Lowes, Home Depot, & other such posers.
I've spent a couple hundred thousand there since they opened a store near me 2 years ago.
(Mostly steel roofing material)

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
It's only the greatest lumberyard/clothier/grocer/hardware store spreading throughout the midwest!
Ref....
Menards - Wikipedia
I've spent a couple hundred thousand there since they opened a store near me 2 years ago.
Neat! All we have is the usual chain places that you mentioned... uh oh, we better get back to yelling over political identities, else the powers will come down on us!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Ref....
Menards - Wikipedia
You know why I hate big box stores like Menards, WalMart, Kroger, Hobby Lobby, Lowes, Target, etc.?
As well as restaurants like Applebee's and Texas Roadhouse and Outback and McDonald's?
As well as. ..
Don't even get me started on Amazon and T-Mobile and Facebook.

Because they and their supporters are ruining America.

I liked the olden days, when people did business which each other.
Tom