• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before the Holocaust......

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Short video regarding the genocidal slaughter of Namibians and the quest to seek reparations, but of course in my personal opinion I think we all know where this will go. I personally do not think they will receive it, and even if they do it will be held out for a long time.

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
Why should modern Germans, who have commited no crime, be fiscally liable to people from any nation on Earth, for historical wrongs?

Sorry, but I just don't see the chain of responsibility leading from 19th century colonial oppressors to modern Germans.

I would be firmly opposed to any and all reparations, solely for that reason. There will be no punishing the sins of the fathers, in my ideal world. Not a chance.

I am sure Alternative For Germany, the largest far right party in Germany. Would love that. I think I know what their response would be.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Why should modern Germans, who have commited no crime, be fiscally liable to people from any nation on Earth, for historical wrongs?

Sorry, but I just don't see the chain of responsibility leading from 19th century coeccaonial oppressors to modern Germans.

I would be firmly opposed to any and all reparations, solely for that reason. There will be no punishing the sins of the fathers, in my ideal world. Not a chance.

I am sure Alternative For Germany, the largest far right party in Germany. Would love that. I think I know what their response would be.

Why did modern Germans give reparations to Jews? Why are laws in place in Germany against a time that was in the past? Why is one group more accepted in receiving reparations but not the others?

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
Why did modern Germans give reparations to Jews? Why are laws in place in Germany against a time that was in the past? Why is one group more accepted in receiving reparations but not the others?

I did not know that the Germans had given reparations specifically to the jewish peoples.

If the victims of an atrocity, such as the holocaust, survive to this day, then yes they do deserve some form of compensation.

However the generational descendants of victims, do not deserve a penny cent. There is no logically compelling reason to give them anything other than some free advice about making your own fortune and not waiting to be handed guilt cash in some misconcieved attempt to right wrongs.

In my opinion obviously.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I did not know that the Germans had given reparations specifically to the jewish peoples.

If the victims of an atrocity, such as the holocaust, survive to this day, then yes they do deserve some form of compensation.

However the generational descendents of victims, do not deserve a penny cent. There is no logically compelling reason to give them anything other than some free advice about making your own fortune and not waiting to be handed guilt cash in some misconcieved attempt to right wrongs.

Now you know

Mox

Dr Green Fingers
As a person of maternal jewish descent, I want muh piece of the reparations Germany. Gimme.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Sorry, but I just don't see the chain of responsibility leading from 19th century colonial oppressors to modern Germans.

Regarding Jews, Germany as a country did what they did.
But in Africa, the evil was perpetrated by colonists from
Germany. This appears to be more removed from the
responsibility of the country itself.
Ref...
Why The Herero Of Namibia Are Suing Germany For Reparations

David1967

Premium Member
I agree with @Mox about some form of compensation to surviving members of an atrocity. But how far do we carry it on? How many generations. There has to be a stopping point somewhere. How far back? I am of British descent. The Roman Empire once invaded and did bad things to the British. Should I get money from Italy?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I know, but it does not change my viewpoint, at all.

It really doesn't matter. There have been atrocities to people that has affected generations. The very descendants do not have to go through the atrocities, the fact that kids have to grow up knowing the psychological trauma that exists among their people is enough.