• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before Christianity, Judaism and Islam, there was Zoroastrianism

We Never Know

No Slack
Its said to be one of the oldest religions. Does anyone here follow it or familiar with it

"Zoroastrianism or Mazdayasna is an Iranian religion and one of the world's oldest continuously practiced organized faiths, based on the teachings of the Iranian-speaking prophet Zoroaster (also known as Zaraθuštra in Avestan or as Zartosht in Modern Persian).[1][2] It has a dualistic cosmology of good and evil and an eschatology which predicts the ultimate conquest of evil by good.[3] Zoroastrianism exalts an uncreated and benevolent deity of wisdom known as Ahura Mazda (lit. 'Wise Lord') as its supreme being.[4] The unique historical features of Zoroastrianism, such as its monotheism,[5][6][7][8][9][excessive citations] messianism, belief in judgement after death, conception of heaven and hell, and free will may have influenced other religious and philosophical systems, including Gnosticism, Greek philosophy,[10] Islam,[11] and the Baháʼí Faith.

With possible roots dating back to the 2nd millennium BCE, Zoroastrianism enters recorded history in the 5th century BCE.[12] It served as the state religion of the ancient Iranian empires for more than a millennium, from around 600 BCE to 650 CE, but declined from the 7th century CE onwards as a direct result of the Muslim conquest of Persia (633–654 CE) which led to the large-scale persecution of the Zoroastrian people.[13] Recent estimates place the current number of Zoroastrians in the world at around 110,000–120,000[14] at most, with the majority living in India, Iran, and North America; their number has been thought to be declining.[15][16]"

Zoroastrianism - Wikipedia

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
What is it that you want to debate?

I didn't see a "general religious discussion"

So I put it here for discussion to see if any here follow it or are familiar with it.

I reckon a better place would have been "Religions Q&A".

Maybe a mod such a yourself can move it.
Please and thanks

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't see a "general religious discussion"

So I put it here for discussion to see if any here follow it or are familiar with it.

I reckon a better place would have been "Religions Q&A".

Maybe a mod such a yourself can move it.
Please and thanks
I used to follow it, years ago. Not many folks are familiar with it now, not in the West.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand Hinduism is older but there is not much in it (depending on which historian you believe)
Saying which is older can be tough.
My Iranian (ex pat) bro-in-law told me some things
about it (still practiced in Iran).
All I remember is that it has nothing to do with Zoro.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meher Baba was born into a Parsi family (Parsis are Zoroastrians who migrated to India due to religious violence. So I learned a bit about it but don't have a depth of knowledge.

Its said to be one of the oldest religions. ...

How it is count when Judaism begun? I think it begun from Adam and Eve, because they had the God of Abraham, Jacob and Moses. Therefore I think it is the oldest. And because by what the Bible tells, Christianity is really belief to the same God and His law, it is the same as Judaism, if Judaism is the belief in Bible God and his teachings. If Zoroastrianisms is from 5th century BCE, it is much younger.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
How it is count when Judaism begun? I think it begun from Adam and Eve, because they had the God of Abraham, Jacob and Moses. Therefore I think it is the oldest. And because by what the Bible tells, Christianity is really belief to the same God and His law, it is the same as Judaism, if Judaism is the belief in Bible God and his teachings. If Zoroastrianisms is from 5th century BCE, it is much younger.
Israelite religion begins with the giving of the Torah on Sinai, generally.

Israelite religion begins with the giving of the Torah on Sinai, generally.

Sorry, I disagree with that. I think it just evolves there, but the God is the same as it was for Abraham, Jacob, Adam and Eve...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, I disagree with that. I think it just evolves there, but the God is the same as it was for Abraham, Jacob, Adam and Eve...
The God is the same, but there's no Torah covenant yet and Judaism is based on following the Torah. The folks in Genesis were not Jews.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Its said to be one of the oldest religions. Does anyone here follow it or familiar with it

"Zoroastrianism or Mazdayasna is an Iranian religion and one of the world's oldest continuously practiced organized faiths, based on the teachings of the Iranian-speaking prophet Zoroaster (also known as Zaraθuštra in Avestan or as Zartosht in Modern Persian).[1][2] It has a dualistic cosmology of good and evil and an eschatology which predicts the ultimate conquest of evil by good.[3] Zoroastrianism exalts an uncreated and benevolent deity of wisdom known as Ahura Mazda (lit. 'Wise Lord') as its supreme being.[4] The unique historical features of Zoroastrianism, such as its monotheism,[5][6][7][8][9][excessive citations] messianism, belief in judgement after death, conception of heaven and hell, and free will may have influenced other religious and philosophical systems, including Gnosticism, Greek philosophy,[10] Islam,[11] and the Baháʼí Faith.

With possible roots dating back to the 2nd millennium BCE, Zoroastrianism enters recorded history in the 5th century BCE.[12] It served as the state religion of the ancient Iranian empires for more than a millennium, from around 600 BCE to 650 CE, but declined from the 7th century CE onwards as a direct result of the Muslim conquest of Persia (633–654 CE) which led to the large-scale persecution of the Zoroastrian people.[13] Recent estimates place the current number of Zoroastrians in the world at around 110,000–120,000[14] at most, with the majority living in India, Iran, and North America; their number has been thought to be declining.[15][16]"

Zoroastrianism - Wikipedia
According to Masoretic text of the Bible, Abraham was born about 2056 BCE and lived for 175 years, so dying about 1881 BCE.
Moses lived 1400 BCE - 1201 BCE

Zoroaster was not not born until 628 bce, died c. 551 bce

So any pretension that Zoroastrianism preceded Judaism is just laughable.

The God is the same, but there's no Torah covenant yet and Judaism is based on following the Torah. The folks in Genesis were not Jews.

I agree, the first didn't have all the covenants and there is many of them, lastly the one that was done through Jesus. But, I think it is still the same religion, because same God and i think the will is also the same. But, obviously this depends on how is religion defined.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I agree, the first didn't have all the covenants and there is many of them, lastly the one that was done through Jesus. But, I think it is still the same religion, because same God and i think the will is also the same. But, obviously this depends on how is religion defined.
It's really very insuting to those who follow Judaism to tell us that we are the same religion as Christianity, a separate religion with which we take issue.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
According to Masoretic text of the Bible, Abraham was born about 2056 BCE and lived for 175 years, so dying about 1881 BCE.
Moses lived 1400 BCE - 1201 BCE

Zoroaster was not not born until 628 bce, died c. 551 bce

So any pretension that Zoroastrianism preceded Judaism is just laughable.
Not so fast,

The prophet Zoroaster himself, though traditionally dated to the 6th century BCE, is thought by many modern historians to have been a reformer of the polytheistic Iranian religion who lived in the 10th century BCE.

From Wiki.

When Zoroastrianism began is hardly clear.