• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming - linear and cyclical view

Daelach

Setian
I've read quite some articles where Becoming is presented as a sort of linear process. Actually, that derives from the Progress myth perpetuated since the enlightment era of our culture. This, in turn, was a philosophy, and philosophy thrives upon the religious foundations of its culture. In our case, it is the Xtian one, which promotes a linear world view. You know, the thing from birth via life to death and, hopefully, eternal paradise thereafter.

My main beef with that linear understanding is that history (and, just for the record, neither life) actually doesn't support that view. Many cultures arose and declined, with ours not being an exception since it is in decline, actually.

So I have thought about a more cyclical take on Becoming, which is somewhat more in line to how life happens, also on an individual level. Certainly, this reflects some Eastern influences, but hey, just think where the whole "LHP" thing actually stems from.

To me, Becoming doesn't have to be exclusively the build-up phase; it encompasses the decay phase as well. The important thing then is to complete the whole of the cycle, which also holds on to decay, decadence and death. Experiencing the whole of that cycle is to Become. That involves the paradox that disappearing is part of becoming - but on the other hand, death is as much part of life as birth is.

The main point here is how decay and decadence are filled with values, which is the main purpose of religion. Just as indulgence can, but does not have to, involve Becoming, also decay can. Isn't autumn as well part of the year as spring is?

Akingu

Not all civilizations and cultures had knowledge of the LHP or the basis of xtianity to formulate a 'dark' impression to base their spirituality or their religions. In those cases, I would also think that they knew of the circle of life and death which is all part of the process of existence and Becoming.

Daelach

Setian
Well, I've some knowledge of the Eastern ways, and the LHP was "dark", in a way.. meaning that it used to be practiced at the borders of society. A non-dualistic example would be the old Norse ways, which I happen to know somewhat more intimate, and the whole division doesn't make much sense there.

But actually, my point can be found most in another Eastern flavour, and that is Taoism. Only that my conclusion is somewhat different. If joy and pain, birth and death, growth and decay are essentially the same, just as all opposites are, then I can either reject the packet as a whole, which would be the common Eastern ways, or I can instead embrace it.