• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

becoming a published author

Thief

Rogue Theologian
just wondering about the effort that needs to happen

been getting ads for how to downloads

anyone here successful?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It takes a ton of skill and a ton of luck. Beware of vanity publishers. They are the scumbags of the industry.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

anyone here successful?
I thought that you were announcing your own book being published.....
The Thief & The Beef
The Lama's Pajamas
If You Give A Ninja A Cookie

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You need an agent. You can try to do it without one, but for all practical purposes, you need an agent.

anyone here successful?

Can self publish e-books and stick them on Amazon.

Promote them yourself via forums, social media, website/blog, etc. Try to gain exposure by writing for as many other outlets that serve your target market as humanly possible. You can promote your book in the little bio blurb at the end: "Thief is a writer and larcenist, his first book 'Handbook for junior villains' is available for download on Amazon".

Still need a whole load of luck and a lot of time and patience though.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Can self publish e-books and stick them on Amazon.

Promote them yourself via forums, social media, website/blog, etc. Try to gain exposure by writing for as many other outlets that serve your target market as humanly possible. You can promote your book in the little bio blurb at the end: "Thief is a writer and larcenist, his first book 'Handbook for junior villains' is available for download on Amazon".

Still need a whole load of luck and a lot of time and patience though.

This is by far the most reasonable way. You don't spend a lot of money, and you're in charge.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Thief,
If you're looking to be published by a mainstream publisher, (one that doesn't charge you, and, in fact, will pay you acceptance money) then, as Sunstone said, you need an agent. Period---It's how I was published---If you don't get one you're ms will wind up in the slush pile and never again see light. However, if you just want to see your words in print and are willing to pay for it then self publishing would be the way to go. Just be wary of false promises. It's almost a given that no book store is going to stock your book. And if it's a self published e-book you will still be charged a subscription or "handling fee," and up front no less.

However, if you feel your work is truly something a mainstream publisher could be interested in then I strongly suggest educating yourself on how best to go about it. Never having been published before, it's what did it, and got my first bite from Random House. I had a great agent.

Last edited: