• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be thankful that sanity has returned to America — for now

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The filibuster can be one's best friend or their worst enemy. Because whatever side can take full control, controls most things and can pass their agendas. A filibuster can be a stopgap from that.

A filibuster gets the two sides to work together. So even if it requires compromise, you end up with both Republican and Democrat ideas running the country.

Without a filibuster, in my eyes, you end up with things like 4-8 years of full Republican control, then 4-8 years of full Democrat control, or so on or so forth. With both sides spending that time undoing the good ideas and bad ideas both, of the other.

While I do think I may be painting with too broad a brush, I did have a larger point that in cases where the two sides don't work together, you end up with the country constantly thrust into extremes, the way the two-party system works.

To expand, I'm painting with a pretty broad brush, but I think things are partisan enough in the US right now, that I don't feel peace and sanity have yet been restored. And add to that a possible Trump run in 2024.

Though the whole "different parties fully running the country thing" will probably only be seen as a negative if people value consistency.

esmith

Veteran Member
As I have interated before a low job claims is not, and I repeat, not an indication of low unemployment.
All it says that unemployement claims have dropped.
An unemployement claim can only be filed if a person has lost their job and is seeking employment.

The nation's jobless claims are an extremely important indicator for a macroeconomic analysis. The monthly Bureau of Labor Statistics' Employment Report tracks how many new people have filed for unemployment benefits in the previous week. It is a good gauge of the U.S. job market. For instance, when more people file for unemployment benefits, it generally means fewer people have jobs, and vice versa.

Unemployment compensation is paid by the state to unemployed workers who have lost their jobs due to layoffs or retrenchment. It is meant to provide a source of income for jobless workers until they can find employment. In order to be eligible for unemployment compensation, specific criteria must be satisfied, such as having worked for a minimum stipulated period and actively looking for a job.

above from: Jobless Claims

But if you want to attempt to cover for the miserable job this administration is doing have at it.
But the truth is out there if you want to look for it.
54% disapprove of Biden, 71% say US heading in wrong direction: poll

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was talking mostly about the filibuster. If I recall, Republicans dared Democrats to bypass the filibuster, saying they'll bypass it when they regain control, if Democrats bypassed it. And Democrats bypassed it anyway.
Republicans would have done it any ways. According to one of them about 15 years ago, compromise means Democrats yielding to conservative ways. About 6 or 7 years they refused to let Obama have his rightful Supreme Court nomination because a year out from the election was too close. They ran it through for Trump several weeks before he was up for relection and against the will of the People.
Republicans have no issues going full steam ahead with their agenda when the ball is firmly in their court, and then cry the Dems aren't playing nice when it's done to them.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
A filibuster gets the two sides to work together. So even if it requires compromise, you end up with both Republican and Democrat ideas running the country.

Nice theory.

Except that, in practice, that isn't what happens. Instead, we get gridlock and NOTHING happens. Bills don't get passed, the government has to close, etc.

esmith

Veteran Member
Now if only sanity could return to CA too.
This appears to be the new shopping mode there.
LA Nordstrom robbed by looting gang | Daily Mail Online
No, they just call it
"the distribution of property and wealth in an unequal society".

FYI.....Just be aware that the left considers the work "looting" racist.

From: 'Experts' blasted for cautioning against use of term 'looting' to describe large-scale California thefts

Critics reacted strongly to claims by "experts" Monday that use of the term "looting" to describe recent large-scale thefts from retail stores in California could be associated with people of color and therefore shouldn't be used

In addition: Los Angeles Times Deems 'Looting' Verboten and Racist - California Globe

ecco

Veteran Member
FYI ... Just be aware that even some liberal democrats like me see only blacks among the looters.

All the good done in the name of racial justice is diminished by the looting. It's a shame that black leaders don't see this and show outrage.

ecco

Veteran Member
All red highlights mine.

But if you want to attempt to cover for the miserable job this administration is doing have at it.
But the truth is out there if you want to look for it.
54% disapprove of Biden, 71% say US heading in wrong direction: poll

During the same period in Trump's administration...

Trump's approval rating hits historic low, Washington Post-ABC poll says | CNN Politics

Trump’s approval rating hits historic low, Washington Post-ABC poll says

By Jennifer Hansler, CNN
Updated 4:38 AM EST, Mon November 6, 2017

As he approaches the first anniversary of his election victory over Hillary Clinton, President Donald Trump’s approval ratings have hit historic lows.

According to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll, 59% disapprove of Trump’s handling of the presidency — the worst of any president at nine months in office since modern polling began. Of those who disapprove, 50% say they do so strongly. Only 37% of those polled approve of Trump’s performance in office.

Trump is the first president since Harry Truman to see a net-negative approval at this point in his term, according to The Washington Post. Former President Bill Clinton had the next worst, with a net positive of 11 points.
Your boy was lower by 5%.

What, exactly, was the point of your post?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, they just call it

From: 'Experts' blasted for cautioning against use of term 'looting' to describe large-scale California thefts

Critics reacted strongly to claims by "experts" Monday that use of the term "looting" to describe recent large-scale thefts from retail stores in California could be associated with people of color and therefore shouldn't be used

In addition: Los Angeles Times Deems 'Looting' Verboten and Racist - California Globe
Perhaps they'd accept "property liberation"?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am thankful for relative sanity in our government including new claims for unemployment at a record low.

I reformatted the article's Trump list for clarity.

Be thankful that sanity has returned to America — for now

In this season of thanksgiving, let us be grateful that some measure of calm and sanity has returned to the White House. The United States, at least for now, has a stable, functioning government. The president is not making everything about himself, nor creating chaos for its own sake.

The stock market is higher than it ever was under President Donald Trump; the S&P 500 has hit more than 50 record highs so far in 2021.

By this time in Trump’s first year, he had:
  • praised the “very fine people” marching among violent neo-Nazis in Charlottesville;
  • fired the FBI director for investigating his national security adviser;
  • replaced his national security adviser,
    • chief of staff,
    • press secretary,
    • communications director,
    • chief strategist,
    • secretary of homeland security
    • and secretary of health and human services;
  • ripped up treaties
  • and threatened to pull out of NATO;
  • threatened nuclear war on Twitter;
  • attempted to impose what aides called a “Muslim ban
  • and disparaged a “so-called judge” who objected; belittled U.S. intelligence
  • and shared sensitive Israeli intelligence with Russia;
  • sabotaged Obamacare;
  • falsely claimed his predecessor had tapped his phone lines;
  • embraced Stalin’s phrase “enemy of the people” to describe the free press;
  • exposed the “dreamers” to deportation;
  • stood by a Senate candidate accused of sexually assaulting a minor;
  • tossed paper towels (but not the needed aid) at hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico;
  • continued nonsense claims about a “deep state”;
  • insulted hundreds of people in often vulgar and misspelled tweets;
  • made more than 1,600 false or suspect statements;
  • and, yes, shoved the prime minister of Montenegro before a photo op
  • and insulted German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
It's far more sane when compared to the despotic Trump administration was and still is, and it is just appalling that the latter has any defenders at all with the promotion of his "Big Lie" that the ball-less congressional Pubs cower to. I'll quote Steven Hawking on this as he said "He is a demagogue, who seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator"-- Stephen Hawking Issues One Perfect Sentence On Donald Trump And His Supporters [note those are Hawking's words, not mine].

F1fan

Veteran Member
Do you know how long the same tired old lines has been used in politics?

Hint....

I know you avoided my question. here it is again to give you a chance to consider that Democrats are working to make the lives of American citizens better.

There are three bills being considered and voted on in the US congress that aim to help support American citizens, families, and our infrastructure. Why aren't you aware of this?

Build Back Better Act (H.R. 5376)

Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (H.R. 3684)

For the People Act of 2021 (H.R. 1)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I know you avoided my question. here it is again to give you a chance to consider that Democrats are working to make the lives of American citizens better.

There are three bills being considered and voted on in the US congress that aim to help support American citizens, families, and our infrastructure. Why aren't you aware of this?

Build Back Better Act (H.R. 5376)

Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (H.R. 3684)

For the People Act of 2021 (H.R. 1)
I'm aware of the bills but rest assured the general public will not in any way be better off.

In fact in the shadow of now impending massive tax hikes, runaway inflation, and incressed government restrictions , I'm prepared to experience a less quality existence more than ever before.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I actually don't. I think the filibuster is useless and just exacerbates things further.

Yet at the same time I also don't like intentional skirting the process either just to force things through.
Personally I think there should be no filibuster to bring things up to the Senate floor for a vote. And I'd get rid of single Senator holds on nominations. Why one wingnut should be able to tie something up for an extended period makes zero sense to me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No, they just call it

In this context, it might be racist. The right is trying to use the word 'looting' for political purpose. There was no war or riot involved. It was an gang of thieves. This is part of the right's attempt to gaslight us into believing something that is not true.

looting
  1. steal goods from (a place), typically during a war or riot.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Personally I think there should be no filibuster to bring things up to the Senate floor for a vote. And I'd get rid of single Senator holds on nominations. Why one wingnut should be able to tie something up for an extended period makes zero sense to me.
I agree.

All it ever accomplishes is putting things off and exasperating something that ought to be worked on until it's resolved amicably.

ecco

Veteran Member
In fact in the shadow of now impending massive tax hikes, runaway inflation, and incressed government restrictions ,

How fortunate you are to be in the top percent of earners who are going to face tax hikes. For the rest of us, we're just glad that there will be no tax hikes. For the rest of us, we're still paying for Trump's big giveaway to you rich folks.

One of the areas where prices are higher is gasoline. Please explain why the Biden administration is responsible for this.

One of the areas where prices are higher is Xmas trees. Please explain why the Biden administration is responsible for this.

Which "incressed (sic) government restrictions" are you referring to and how will they negatively affect you or me?