• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be More Careful As You Age Into Geezerdom

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
LOL! I threw my sacroiliac out picking up a piece of lint off the floor a couple of months ago. It still will give me a twinge if I move the wrong way.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
my grandfather was born in 1901
he walked all the way to 100years of age
no wheel chair....no long term hospital stay
no outstanding doctor bills

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
So last year I tripped over a tomato cage. (I don't blame tomatoes.)
Landed hard on concrete on my right shoulder.
My shoulder had improved to the point I could lift that arm overhead.
Today....bang! Slipped on some ice hidden under snow.
Hard to use a mouse. Switching to touchpad.
Me heal more slowly now.
Must be more careful.
At least I'd given up snowboarding.

Who else is becoming more fragile?
I can't believe you continue the barbaric practice of caging tomato plants. Free range tomatoes! Free the Marinara Seven!

I am still holding up. I am hiking about 3-5 miles a day with a couple off each week. My big limiting factor is sleep.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Me heal more slowly now.
Must be more careful.

Have you tried shoe/boot chains? They were a major relief the winter I had them in Indiana. Could be a major hassle and pain in the arse to get on and off and off and on, but they seem to work well (only had them one winter before moving).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And my knee isn't what it was. Even at my age, the pops hurt, the crunches ache, and slips can potentially put me down for awhile (its basically instinct at this point to fall in ways to protect my knee). Sitting or standing for long periods hurt, and the acl is a tendon from my knee and a dead persons cartilage is torn.
At the worst points of pain, I have used a cane. Enough that I have a palm calm.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ive got years to go before i catch up to you but im noticing a slow lengthening in my recouperation periods.
I used to heal like Wolverine compared to now. And I stepped on some nails as a kid. Today a good cut or whack to a knuckle will still be reminding me it's there a few days later while I'm doing dishes.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In all honesty, I'm actually surprised by my durability.

I began a new career very recently that is much more physically demanding than my previous sedentary job. While I'm noting that my arthritis in my knee is an issue, and I presumed it would be, and my muscles are taking longer to adapt than when I was younger (I come home quite sore every day, but it's getting better with each passing day), I haven't had any new issues crop up, my sciatica hasn't flared up, and I haven't pulled any muscles.

I do think that my brief routine of asanas in the morning do help with this. Each morning immediately after waking, I do four basic asanas: tadasana (mountain pose), urdhva hastasana (raised hands pose), uttanasana, (standing forward bend), utkatasana (chair pose) three times each. I think it helps keep my sciatica at bay and stretch the leg muscles that climb in and own of a step van about nearly 200 times per day.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Have you tried shoe/boot chains? They were a major relief the winter I had them in Indiana. Could be a major hassle and pain in the arse to get on and off and off and on, but they seem to work well (only had them one winter before moving).
I have cleats I can put on my shoes.
But they're not practical to leave on all the time.
So I use them when I expect ice.
This was an unexpected patch under fresh snow.
I must increase my caution.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Me heal more slowly now.
Must be more careful.

when I run, I scream in my mind to myself, "HEY BODY, WHY AREN'T YOU WORKING LIKE MY MIND SEE'S YOU WORKING" :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
run.....yeah right....

I told someone....Just stop it...
You won't miss it
we laughed

range of motion is the key
if you don't use it.....you lose it

as forementioned the really big hazard....is falling down
I am sooooooo fortunate to have been a black belt for sooooooooo many years
I don't fall on my elbows or knees
or head

of a sad notation .....a coworker lost his wife
she had fallen on the ice and broke her elbow
this led to the complication of cancer

healing fades

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have cleats I can put on my shoes.
But they're not practical to leave on all the time.
So I use them when I expect ice.
This was an unexpected patch under fresh snow.
I must increase my caution.
0-8mm-1-5m-pvc-inflatable-bubble-soccer-zorb.jpg

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Quick care places treat a lot of people who want the sheerest minimum of care to save on cost. Probably that was why. They were trying to be reasonable about the cost. When I go to a quick care I go for whatever is cheapest, and if I die, I die.
Good lord! You shouldn't do that. Living is a good thing for the most part in my experience. Had they refused, I would have traveled up the hill to the medical hospital emergency room and asked them to save me. I understand people and facilities want to save money, but not at the expense of my life thanks. ;)

After years of having things go wrong now and then, I've learned a lot of times you have to take care of yourself and what you know you need instead of leaving it up to a stranger who may mean well but also may not be experienced enough to know the best solution to the problem at hand.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Me heal more slowly now.
Must be more careful.

Here's one.
I just now have a phone again after driving off down the highway with my old phone on the trunk.

I had driven 50 minutes to pick up my 3 year old granddaughter at her daycare for a sleepover at nan's . I had gotten my phone out because I didn't know if I could just go in with Corona and everything and was going to call. Then the door opens and she comes running across the parking lot yelling "nana" with her arms outstretched. So what does old nana do?

Throws the phone on the trunk, runs to scoop up the baby in her arms, tucks her into her carseat and drives off down the busy highway with the phone still on the trunk inevitably to be lost into the Netherlands of some other human's hands.

It is worse losing your phone nowadays than losing your wallet was in the olden days. Everything is connected to your phone number and phone.

Moral of story,; don't get overly excited about things and become mindless. It can become costly and cause unnecessary hardship to fix.