• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be Afraid, be very afraid

RamaRaksha

If Climate change cannot be stopped, i fear for the lives of Atheists, Gays and minority religious members. Sure climate change itself will kill millions, millions more will starve, fires and floods will kill millions more, but the above will be killed by the dominant religious members
Let us take a step back and realize that these are King/Master religions - born when Kings/Strongmen ruled, Slaves/Servants got down on their knees, shaking with fear, swore undying loyalty(belief) and begged for his mercy and protection. Those who do not swear loyalty must be punished or cast out(Hence the loose talk of Hell) - very primitive and backward ideas
And so when things go bad, the multitude will turn to their religious leaders and ask why Master is punishing us and these leaders will point to the presence of Gays and Atheists as the cause. We know that it is already happening - Gays and Atheists are under attack in several islamic countries - in Nigeria Gays are being hunted and killed!. Once these two are killed, next in line are members of minority religions - a Slave may serve only one master - these people do not kneel to our master - and so they must be killed too

amorphous_constellation

When the world was a lot warmer it worked out pretty good for the dinosaurs and plants. Pretty sure there wasn't as many arctic and desert climates back then, and the world was thriving. So with that in mind, the whole world becoming tropical once more might not be the worst thing for biological life. It might not be the best thing for us, because maybe the humidity would be too much, but dinosaur type animals will do fine.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Global warming does not make the whole world tropical, the tropical parts, because they are close to the equator, just get hotter, and the deserts are just as big, only so hot no one can live there. Canadians and Scandinavians might have it better off because they will be hotter, they can probably handle it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This is all a moot because there is (and never was) any global warming. There is also no cataclysmic climate change. You've been duped. Sorry.

Lyndon

Premium Member
So why is this year the hottest recorded temperatures, on average, for the world since records have been kept, are you going to crawl into a cave and say its cooler?????

Skwim

Veteran Member
If Climate change cannot be stopped, i fear for the lives of Atheists, Gays and minority religious members. Sure climate change itself will kill millions, millions more will starve, fires and floods will kill millions more, but the above will be killed by the dominant religious members
Just who do you consider the " dominant religious members " that will be killing all the atheists, gays and minority religious members?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
When the world was a lot warmer it worked out pretty good for the dinosaurs and plants. Pretty sure there wasn't as many arctic and desert climates back then, and the world was thriving. So with that in mind, the whole world becoming tropical once more might not be the worst thing for biological life. It might not be the best thing for us, because maybe the humidity would be too much, but dinosaur type animals will do fine.
I'm gonna quietly weep in a corner and hope someone else comes along to explain how painfully wrong this assumption is.

amorphous_constellation

I'm gonna quietly weep in a corner and hope someone else comes along to explain how painfully wrong this assumption is.

I'd like to hear what they say about it. This isn't exactly a biology or science forum, but I'm sure some light can be shed on what's going on there. I know that the situation with us and the other furry fauna seems to involve an ice age every 20,000 years or so. That pushes a lot of us out to rim of where anything can survive.

amorphous_constellation

Global warming does not make the whole world tropical, the tropical parts, because they are close to the equator, just get hotter, and the deserts are just as big, only so hot no one can live there. Canadians and Scandinavians might have it better off because they will be hotter, they can probably handle it.

How might tropical conditions spread in theory?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
So why is this year the hottest recorded temperatures, on average, for the world since records have been kept, are you going to crawl into a cave and say its cooler?????

I don't know how it is in your cave but in my cave "global warming" means the globe has warmed, not just a few anecdotal temp spikes due to normal weather patterns. If these temperature variations could be directly attributed to "Global Warming" (or even GW's stepsister "Climate Change") then I'm sure those holed up your caves would be running out hysterically screaming while waving reams of data. Haven't seen that, have you?

SImple, the earth would have to stop twisting on its axis, and there would be no more seasons, like the tropics.

Have to agree with you there. If the earth stopped spinning on its axis there would be no more anything.

A Vestigial Mote

Let us take a step back and realize that these are King/Master religions - born when Kings/Strongmen ruled, Slaves/Servants got down on their knees, shaking with fear, swore undying loyalty(belief) and begged for his mercy and protection. Those who do not swear loyalty must be punished or cast out(Hence the loose talk of Hell) - very primitive and backward ideas
And so when things go bad, the multitude will turn to their religious leaders and ask why Master is punishing us and these leaders will point to the presence of Gays and Atheists as the cause. We know that it is already happening - Gays and Atheists are under attack in several islamic countries - in Nigeria Gays are being hunted and killed!. Once these two are killed, next in line are members of minority religions - a Slave may serve only one master - these people do not kneel to our master - and so they must be killed too

This is such a mess. It could be the basis for a very bad fictional novel that no one would read. And that's probably about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've no fear of fundies or global warming....er, climate change.
We'll survive.
But there will be change.
Meh.....when isn't there?

Lyndon

Premium Member
Have to agree with you there. If the earth stopped spinning on its axis there would be no more anything.

I didn't say if the earth stopped spinning, is said if the axis was no longer tilted to the side so that we have the seasons.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I didn't say if the earth stopped spinning, is said if the axis was no longer tilted to the side so that we have the seasons.

We would still have seasons, they would just be different... you may get winter and summer at the same time in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.......Earths orbit around the sun is currently elliptical

Lyndon this next statement is not directed at you, it is directed (in general) to climate changes threads and those that post fervently in them

Beyond axis post I do not have the energy to get into these discussions any longer because most post based on propaganda, not science...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We would still have seasons, they would just be different... you may get winter and summer at the same time in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.......Earths orbit around the sun is currently elliptical
Actually, if it stopped spinning on its axis, then day & night would each last 6 months.
I wonder if some are thinking of tidal locking, which is one rotation per year.
That would be a disaster.....permanent summer on one side....permanent winter on the other.
We'd have to live in twilight areas, eh.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Those who deny that we are in a period of global warming are either scientifically illiterate or have bought into the idea that the vast majority of climate scientists are on the "take". The fact of the matter is that what we have seen happen is not based on estimates but on real measurements that have been collected for over 200 years now.

And the idea that we have nothing to worry about certainly goes against what the scientific projections are if we don't stop spewing CO2 and methane gas into our atmosphere, and even our Department of Defense here in the States say it is very much a concern to them, as well as NASA, NOAA, the NAS, etc. But then some people think that they're so much more intelligent than the scientists who work for them and many other agencies.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't know how it is in your cave but in my cave "global warming" means the globe has warmed, not just a few anecdotal temp spikes due to normal weather patterns. If these temperature variations could be directly attributed to "Global Warming" (or even GW's stepsister "Climate Change") then I'm sure those holed up your caves would be running out hysterically screaming while waving reams of data. Haven't seen that, have you?

All the freakin time. Why do you think there was a Climate Change Summit? In another thread on this subject I posted links to several articles that linked temperatures, glacier retreat, CO2 emissions, and more showing the drastic increase since the Industrial Revolution and even more increase since the 1970's. Only those who wish to keep denying, to keep their heads buried in the sand, are not seeing this. It really is incredibly easy to find the information being put out. It's called a search bar. If you don't bother to use it to find out about this information then, apparently, the issue is not that the information isn't out there validating what you are denying, it is that you wish to remain oblivious to it to retain some kind of "rational" deniability within your own mind. Tell me, is ignorance truly bliss for you?

amorphous_constellation

My question was more about how warm, heavily vegetated, jungle-like conditions might spread. If they are finding cretaceous period trees in arctic regions and understanding that the earth was historically warm for the time of the dinosaurs, how did that happen, was there more carbon dioxide, did the kt asteroid knock the earth out of sync, or what?