• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basis for Trusting Muhammad?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Maybe, but there are plenty of other altruistic leaders claiming to be prophets that I assume you wouldn't believe. The Bab seemed like a genuine guy and the people that knew him speak very highly of him as well. Is that enough to believe in him as a messenger of All-h?

What was his last sermon?

First Baseman

Retired athlete
There is no proof of existence of any God, therefore, all claims of representing a God also are false, no exceptions. No further proof is required.

Prove that God does not exist. Better yet, don't even try. Any proof you might be able to come up with would be silly at best.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You'll have to ask a Baha'i about that as I don't know very much about them.

Then make a thread asking the Baha'i if they'll believe Baha'ullah if they were living at that era and
you can ask as well the Jews if they'll believe that God was the burning bush.

First Baseman

Retired athlete

That entire bunch of junk is based on assumptions made by men. I would think a Hindu would know better than to trust a bunch of men and their assumptions. You do realize of course that they change their philosophy in a major way every decade or so. What will they think 10 years from now? I can assure you it will be different from what they think today. If you will rest your faith on the ever changing words of men, what would your gods think about that?

Try this instead:

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Like? You accept there is no evidence, but there still can be a tea-kettle orbiting the Earth? Is that what you mean? :)

People didn't realize that viruses do exit, not having evidences at that time doesn't mean the virus
doesn't exist, and maybe there's other kind of living things that we can't yet recognize but that doesn't
mean if we don't know and see then it means doesn't exist, it isn't that simple.

Shad

Veteran Member
A man comes out of a cave and claims he recieved a prophecy. Why do you believe him?

I don't.

Yes, I understand he was successful in his wars. But does that make him more heaven-sent than any other successful general?

No as Muhammad was not very successful in comparison to other well known generals. Alexander, Caesar, Charles Martel, Qin Shi Huang, Hannibal, Khalid ibn al-Walid, etc. He never expanded out of Arabia, which fall into civil war at his death.

Khalid ibn al-Walid was one of the primary general of the early Muslim expansion into Arabia, its revolts, conquests of Iraq and Syria. His record speaks for itself. Muhammad was a statesman far more often than as a general.

If you were around in the time of Muhammad, on what basis would you believe he's telling the truth?

The environment, cultural and religious views, of Arabia at the time would have already conditioned me to accept success as a boon from God. Unless I was a hardline polytheist or Chalcedonian Christian I would have little reason to reject Muhammad. If I were a member of one the Jewish tribes of Arabia it could go either way.

Keep in mind that placing yourself into such a context that is drastically removed from our time but also has limited information we can use makes it difficulty to create a image without bias. The information we do have is usually from the upper class rather than the average person. This information can be easily tainted by a bias in which one is either a "supporter" or one of the "oppressed"

Tumah

Veteran Member
Then make a thread asking the Baha'i if they'll believe Baha'ullah if they were living at that era and
you can ask as well the Jews if they'll believe that God was the burning bush.
Its not the same. The question is why to believe the messenger. If "because he was a good person" is the answer, then there are many good people claiming to be messengers. Then why not believe the Bab? What's the difference?
Jews didn't believe Moses because of what he said. They believed Moses because they all recieved a prophecy from G-d that showed that Moses was a trustworthy prophet.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I don't.

No as Muhammad was not very successful in comparison to other well known generals. Alexander, Caesar, Charles Martel, Qin Shi Huang, Hannibal, Khalid ibn al-Walid, etc. He never expanded out of Arabia, which fall into civil war at his death.

Khalid ibn al-Walid was one of the primary general of the early Muslim expansion into Arabia, its revolts, conquests of Iraq and Syria. His record speaks for itself. Muhammad was a statesman far more often than as a general.

The environment, cultural and religious views, of Arabia at the time would have already conditioned me to accept success as a boon from God. Unless I was a hardline polytheist or Chalcedonian Christian I would have little reason to reject Muhammad. If I were a member of one the Jewish tribes of Arabia it could go either way.

Keep in mind that placing yourself into such a context that is drastically removed from our time but also has limited information we can use makes it difficulty to create a image without bias. The information we do have is usually from the upper class rather than the average person. This information can be easily tainted by a bias in which one is either a "supporter" or one of the "oppressed"
I don't think that's false and the point was mentioned by another poster. But I'm interested in hearing why Muslims today believe that Muhammad must have been a prophet. Whether its actually true or even pssible is irrelevant to me. I just want to know why.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Its not the same. The question is why to believe the messenger. If "because he was a good person" is the answer, then there are many good people claiming to be messengers. Then why not believe the Bab? What's the difference?

You said you don't know the story of the Bab and that we have to ask a Baha'i then how we could compare?

Jews didn't believe Moses because of what he said. They believed Moses because they all recieved a prophecy from G-d that showed that Moses was a trustworthy prophet.

If they all received the prophecy then why the need for a prophet?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Prove that invisible Orange-bellied Flying Leprechauns do not exist...

See how you face the same problem?

It doesn't work like that, God challenge us with what he created.
Create life by using the non-living matter and the story will end, no need to fetch for God
but for what he did, we have the earth and we have the intelligence, then prove it and create
a simple creature from the non-living matter..

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A man comes out of a cave and claims he recieved a prophecy. Why do you believe him?
Yes, I understand he was successful in his wars. But does that make him more heaven-sent than any other successful general?
If you were around in the time of Muhammad, on what basis would you believe he's telling the truth?
What prophecy did Muhammad make ? Kindly quote the prophecy from Quran. Please
Regards

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It doesn't work like that,

It seems to me that it works exactly like that. All the way up to the inherent contradiction of the subject that one is supposed to prove non-existence of.

God challenge us with what he created.
Create life by using the non-living matter and the story will end, no need to fetch for God
but for what he did, we have the earth and we have the intelligence, then prove it and create
a simple creature from the non-living matter..
What has this to do with expecting non-believers to have the duty to show that they have a reason or proof for disbelieving?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A man comes from the top of a mountain and says that YHVH had talked with him from the fire in a bush.
If you were around in the time of Moses, on what basis would you believe he's telling the truth? Please
Regards