• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basilicas or Temples

I was wondering what people generally think are more Beautiful, Roman Catholic Basilicas or LDS Temples. I personally like Basilicas better ;), but i find temples to be Beautiful. So tell me why you picked your decision and where you would like to build one. For me Honolulu Hawaii

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Personally, one of the most striking and beautiful religious buildings I have ever seen is "The dome of the Rock," a mosque in Jerusalem. Also, the National Cathedral is quite beautiful...

Bishka

Veteran Member
I like some of the Catholics Catherdrals, they are stunning, but I'm also biased towards the LDS Temples. :)

SoyLeche

meh...
I don't have a lot of experience with Catholic buildings. Are Basilicas and Cathedrals the same thing?

The only Cathedrals that I have been in were in Peru - and I have mixed feelings about them. The archetecture is great, but the insides were dark and cold, and with the sometimes graphic statues and paintings... I have to say that the general feeling that I got was about the same as if I were on Pirates of the Caribean at Disneyland. Maybe I just haven't seen many of them. The feeling was definately different than when I've been in LDS temples.

dan

5359_SANDIEGOCA_hr.jpg

This is the San Diego Temple.

5310_WASHINGTONDC_hr.jpg

This is the Washington D.C. Temple.

5278_OAKLANDCA_hr.jpg

Oakland Temple

5370_LAIEHI_hr.jpg

Laie Hawaii Temple

5351_STGEORGEUT_hr.jpg

St. George, Utah Temple

5250_MANTIUT_hr.jpg

Manti, Utah Temple

5360_SaltLakeUT_hr.jpg

Good old Salt Lake City Temple

I like the Temples myself, but I have been in several basilicas and think they're amazing.

nutshell

Well, I'm partial to LDS temples, but the early ones were based on cathedral architecture I believe.

SoyLeche

meh...
Just slightly off topic - has anyone been in the Priesthood Room in the Washington DC temple? It's a big meeting room that takes up pretty much the whole 7th floor - can seat somewhere around 1500 people. It's laid out a lot like the Kirtland Temple, with the sets of pulpets on each side. It's a pretty amazing room.

Bishka

Veteran Member
SoyLeche said:
Just slightly off topic - has anyone been in the Priesthood Room in the Washington DC temple? It's a big meeting room that takes up pretty much the whole 7th floor - can seat somewhere around 1500 people. It's laid out a lot like the Kirtland Temple, with the sets of pulpets on each side. It's a pretty amazing room.

No, but that'd be awesome. Has anybody been in the Salt Lake Temple? My goodness, it's BEAUTIFUL! The pioneers have did a specactular job on it.

nutshell

SoyLeche said:

Nope. Sounds interesting though. Portland has one farily large room, but nothing like that.

SoyLeche

meh...
nutshell said:
Nope. Sounds interesting though. Portland has one farily large room, but nothing like that.
My dad was saying that there aren't very many temples with rooms like this. Salt Lake and DC are the only ones that I can remember, but it seems like he mentioned at least one more.

nutshell

SoyLeche said:
My dad was saying that there aren't very many temples with rooms like this. Salt Lake and DC are the only ones that I can remember, but it seems like he mentioned at least one more.

Perhaps manti or St. George - one of the older ones

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I'm bias towards Catholic Cathedrals too. But you LDS sure know how to build them as well...:clap
Those buildings are pleasing to the eye......very beautiful. Makes you just want to have respect once you step in doesn't it?

jonny

I don't know if I've ever seen a Basilicas so I can't really comment. There are some temples where I don't care for the architecture, but I find most of them beautiful. The inside of every one I've been in was beautiful. The Cathedrals I've been in were kind of dark, but they were still cool. I love old architecture.

I guess you could put me in the category of "depends on which one you are talking about." If you're talking about the Provo Temple, the Basilicas are probably a lot more beautiful on the outside. If you're talking about the Portland Temple, I'll probably go with it.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
jonny said:
Ive never seen a candle in a temple. I think the church has a policy against open flames in all its buildings.

Yeah, that marble might burn to the ground....:D
Actually, some of the Catholic churches have tooken a similar approach and I'm not really jazzed about the decision. I liked walking in and smelling the candles. The intention to walking into the catholic church was to make aware all the senses of a person. Smell, sight, hear, touch, taste.

fromthe heart

I think they are all beautiful...I remember when the one in D.C. was built...driving around the 495 beltway and seeing the white point with the gold statue on top blowing a trumpet? was breath taking...It nearly took too much of my attention from the driving part of what I was doing at the time. I've been in a lot of very beautiful churches that look like nothing from the outside. I also find some of the monuments in D.C. beautifully detailed...I don't think the way some one sees beauty is always the same though...I recently drove past an old country church made with what looked like field stone, covered with ivy,shaded by lovely maple trees with a scattering of daffodils and tulips...it was really a peaceful place to look at and quite beautiful in it's own right.

nutshell

Provo Temple: Ugliest building EVER!

I hope I don't offend anyone with that statement, but I almost believe it. Once I heard, however, that it's supposed to represent a cloud during the day and a pillar of fire at night I learned to tolerate it.