• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basic Beliefs

Rakhel

My grandfather's name was misspelled on his birth certificate.
The nurse dropped the "L."
So while his middle name should have been Slayton(Slay-ton), it was spelled Sayton(Say-ton) at his birth. Family story is that he didn't find out until he went to boot camp.
So I am a granddaughter of Sayton(Satan)

Rakhel

Dragons. Something about fire and ice, I've had this avatar for so long it's almost ridiculous.
I am sure I said something a year or two ago, but to ask me now...
It's just who I am on this forum

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Dragons. Something about fire and ice, I've had this avatar for so long it's almost ridiculous.
I am sure I said something a year or two ago, but to ask me now...
It's just who I am on this forum

Cool ! I have an avatar I keep forgetting to upload. It has a sort of interfaith theme. When I finally remember to put it up, you can tell me if you like it !

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Bottom line, it is not "reform" enough.
For you.

One option for a person that feels that the reform movement is not reconstructionist enough would be to identify instead with the reconstructionist movement. (We have a great reconstructionist synagogue not too far from here.)

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
For you.

One option for a person that feels that the reform movement is not reconstructionist enough would be to identify instead with the deconstructionist movement. (We have a great reconstructionist synagogue not too far from here.)

Or Jewish Renewal, which my synagogue is a participant in.

Avi1001

For you.

One option for a person that feels that the reform movement is not reconstructionist enough would be to identify instead with the deconstructionist movement. (We have a great reconstructionist synagogue not too far from here.)

By all means, please share your thoughts around deconstructionism. I can see a natural complement to Reconstructionism, but I think I recently heard of it, as Metis refers to above, with respect to Renewal.

My own approach is syncretic. I adopt approaches from several systems that make sense to me: Reform, Reconstruction, Renewal, Humanist. I think if you superimpose these approaches you can achieve an archetypal methodology that is a more personal Judsism.

Avi1001

Or Jewish Renewal, which my synagogue is a participant in.
I didn't realize you were involved with Renewal, cool. I like their ideas on: interfaith, Eco-kashrut, gay issues, technology, feminism, and other contemporary issues. Perhaps you could share your thoughts ?

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
My own approach is syncretic. I adopt approaches from several systems that make sense to me: Reform, Reconstruction, Renewal, Humanist. I think if you superimpose these approaches you can achieve an archetypal methodology that is a more personal Judsism.
Avi,

As I told you before, and much like Levite, I often, only half jokingly, refer to myself as a Reconrefoconservadox Jew. However, while a personal Judaism is fine, but it really cannot exist, let alone flourish, without a communal Judaism.

Peter

Avi1001

Avi,

As I told you before, and much like Levite, I often, only half jokingly, refer to myself as a Reconrefoconservadox Jew. However, while a personal Judaism is fine, but it really cannot exist, let alone flourish, without a communal Judaism.

Peter

True, but the nature of community has changed radically this generation. Contrast a group of Jews discussing Judaism in an on-line forum to a group of teenagers sitting around a school lunch table tapping their smartphones and not looking at each other or speaking :shrug:. I would say our communities are in transition.

metis

I didn't realize you were involved with Renewal, cool. I like their ideas on: interfaith, Eco-kashrut, gay issues, technology, feminism, and other contemporary issues. Perhaps you could share your thoughts ?

I have very limited time because I have to use the public library here for the next two weeks. After that, I will do as you ask.

Thanks, and Shabbat shalom to you and all here.

Vern

metis

But remember your congregation has its feet in two doors. As I recall your congregation is also affiliated with URJ.

Peter

Yes, and I see no conflict with that. BTW, we were the first Reform congregation to join J.R.

Shabbat shalom,
Vern