• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barr is being told to resign by big huge group of Republicans

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Making unwise and sometimes very counterproductive statements is counterproductive.

Commenting on judges is always unwise.

I simply do not see how the president voicing his opinion on legal matters relates to the integrity of the DOJ. They should go about their business doing what they believe to be right, regardless of his opinion.

Hs opinion does not represent a conflict of interest, or to an informed person appear to be one. The Attorney General should not be a puppet of the President or vice versa. An opinion vs.what is actually being done shows the Attorney General certainly is not a puppet.

After a little research, I have learned that the letter touted by the OP was generated by a democrat organization of lawyers, supported by democrat donors. In other words, it is another democrat weapon used in the endless resistance war being waged against the President elected to be the head of government. Sadly, since the precedent has been unwisely established, I fear it will be seen again, on steroids, when there is a democrat President. Perhaps though, Republicans are classier than this.

The career DOJ lawyers that signed it represent far less than 1% of the total of lawyer who have or do serve in the DOJ.
What Barr actually did was to intervene in Roger Stone's sentencing. Out of all the cases in all the country to intervene in, he just so happened to intervene in the one involving one of Trump's pals.
Funny thing, that. :rolleyes:

shmogie

We do have evidence that Trump interferes with Barr, which you pointed out yourself: Trump's tweets. Oh, and Barr's admission that said tweets make it impossible for him to do his job.
Hello!?
Tweets aren't interference any more than someone saying "I hate the noise that truck makes" is interfering with the driver being able to sell ice cream.

Trump has the right to "interfere" as much as he chooses in the DOJ, it is an executive branch department.

If the tweets make it impossible for Barr to do his job, he can resign.

Did you not realize that the DOJ is under the President?

Do you know the names of the other people who Trump pardoned or commuted their sentences?

I doubt it. They were folks Trump felt had been given excessive sentences, including Blacks, Hispanics, and women.

Blago was a crooked democrat. Trump felt he had served enough time, period.

Trump has railed since day 1 about excessive sentences for non violent crimes. Thus his comments re Stone, who lied under oath. The person he was convicted of intimidating has said that if he knew Stone would be prosecuted , he would have kept his mouth shut.

Compare this to Clapper, Brennan et, al. or McCabe,who was referred for prosecution, who also lied under oath and to FBI investigators, no prosecution. Coincidentally, we find this to seemingly be a benefit for democrats usually.

Trump will continue criminal justice reform, will aid people across the board, regardless of politics, race, or sex whom he feels have been given excessive sentences for non violent crime, which is his right.
Yes, in fact I am familiar with all of the individuals Trump pardoned or commuted this week.

Broadly, they are mostly white, rich and powerful, committed crimes Trump doesn’t think are serious (like lying, obstruction, abuse of power) and mostly accessed Trump’s heartstrings due to appearing on Fox News (like Blagojevich) or having connections that could get his attention. There are a couple exceptions. There is a rigorous process by which DOJ lawyers re-review cases and recommend pardons or commuted sentences to the President. Trump appears to have bypassed that and gone with whatever shiny keys on Fox News grabbed his infantile attention.

If you think Trump picked out these cases because he (or his staff) carefully reviewed a representative sample of hundreds of people serving time right now, and he chose to give leniency to people like Melkin and Judith Negron because they were more deserving than anyone else incarcerated right now ... then Trump has really got you fooled.

And if you know that’s not true, then you also know this isn’t justice - it’s the arbitrary decision of a king, strongly influenced by who are his friends and who can curry favor at his court and flatter him.

Normally such power would be legal, but checked by Congress, the DOJ, or at least the disgust of his own supporters. Not so with this demagogue and his cult, who will support him even if he springs a “crooked Democrat” (as you said) over the objections of his own party.

Imagine if Obama commuted Blagojevich. You and your party would be going ballistic right now.

What Barr actually did was to intervene in Roger Stone's sentencing. Out of all the cases in all the country to intervene in, he just so happened to intervene in the one involving one of Trump's pals.
Funny thing, that. :rolleyes:
Don’t forget A$AP Rocky!

Who needs that deep state justice department full of career lawyers when you have celebrity friends who can let us know which miscarriages of justice deserve the President’s attention.

Just file this absurd Trump story under “If Obama Did It” with all the others.

Tweets aren't interference any more than someone saying "I hate the noise that truck makes" is interfering with the driver being able to sell ice cream.

Trump has the right to "interfere" as much as he chooses in the DOJ, it is an executive branch department.

Nice kettle logic. He’s not interfering ... but also he can interfere as much as he wants. In case anyone was wondering. Your denial is humorous, lol.

schmogie I have a simple question. Is it possible for the President to do something that is wrong, even if he has the legal authority to do it? Just a yes or no answer, please. You already admitted what he’s done is “unseemly”.

Trump can fire Barr. Trump fired Sessions, Barr’s predecessor, for not carrying out the “opinions” Trump expressed on Twitter. Given that power dynamic it is impossible for Trump to simply express his “opinion” about what someone who works for him ought to do, without that having an actual (or legitimate appearance of) undue “influence”. I don’t think Trump gets this, not because he’s unethical but because he’s ethically incompetent. But I think you get it. Or you can get it, if you stop trying to defend him for a moment and just think about what Barr said.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So? The AG is a puppet. Or appears to be one.

But that about sums up Trump supporters' view of everything Trump does, doesn't it?

I can only imagine what you'd be saying if Obama had done a fraction of the things Trump has done.
But we live in some bizarro Trump cult world now where he can get away with anything under the sun and it's all good with you guys.
Just look at you jumping through hoops trying to justify this stuff when Trump does it, pretending as though the only people who think this type of behavior is innappropriate are some weirdo Democrats or something when in fact, there are many people from all kinds of political pursuasions that think this stuff is inappropriate. Trump is the anomoly, not the rest of us. But his supporters want to pretend like it's the other way around. I guess it helps you all sleep at night. :shrug:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Please. :rolleyes:

Bill Barr disagrees with you. Hence his comments.

I love how now we're basically at "the President can do whatever the hell he wants, and as his supporters, we will blindly follow him off the cliff." Not to mention the weird assertion that another poster noticed where you say he's not interfering, but he can if he wants to!
It's bizarre. And dangerous.

Last edited:

shmogie

Please. :rolleyes:

Bill Barr disagrees with you. Hence his comments.

I love how now we're basically at "the President can do whatever the hell he wants, and as his supporters, we will blindly follow him off the cliff." Not to mention the weird assertion that another poster noticed where you say he's not interfering, but he can if he wants to!
It's bizarre. And dangerous.
Sorry, you don't seem to understand who is head of ALL the executive branch departments. Your beef isn't with me, it is with the Constitution.

An opinion expressed isn't interfering, it is an opinion. The first amendment applies to every citizen.

So, it is dangerous for the ultimate head of a department, to express an opinion about the department he supervises.

Gads, what logic.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Sorry, you don't seem to understand who is head of ALL the executive branch departments. Your beef isn't with me, it is with the Constitution.

An opinion expressed isn't interfering, it is an opinion. The first amendment applies to every citizen.

So, it is dangerous for the ultimate head of a department, to express an opinion about the department he supervises.

Gads, what logic.
Sorry, you didn't respond to the point.

Sorry, you didn't respond to the point.
Isn’t it a relief to know that for all those years, almost every hysterical criticism and complaint that the Right had about Obama was just a joke? He had the power to do stuff and therefore nothing he did was wrong, we can assume it was fine, nothing to see here ... what a bunch of kidders! Everything a president does is fine.

shmogie

Isn’t it a relief to know that for all those years, almost every hysterical criticism and complaint that the Right had about Obama was just a joke? He had the power to do stuff and therefore nothing he did was wrong, we can assume it was fine, nothing to see here ... what a bunch of kidders! Everything a president does is fine.
Of course that isn't true. Obama did all kinds of things I complained hugely about them. I never thought he should be impeached. Would never have supported illegal spying on him as a candidate, or a special counsel based upon spurious rumor, Republican opposition fantasy and no probable cause.

Yes, Presidents have huge amounts of power. Congress has been ceding them more and more power for a century.

So, if you want to complain about power legally used, feel free.

Raise hell about power illegally used, if you think you found it.

However, issues ought to be taken one by one, and and if you can't defend your criticism, then consider how you defended all the shenanigans of Obama.

Of course that isn't true. Obama did all kinds of things I complained hugely about them. I never thought he should be impeached. Would never have supported illegal spying on him as a candidate, or a special counsel based upon spurious rumor, Republican opposition fantasy and no probable cause.

Yes, Presidents have huge amounts of power. Congress has been ceding them more and more power for a century.

So, if you want to complain about power legally used, feel free.

Raise hell about power illegally used, if you think you found it.

However, issues ought to be taken one by one, and and if you can't defend your criticism, then consider how you defended all the shenanigans of Obama.
I agree issues should be taken one by one. We are talking about Barr’s criticism of Trump which you are whitewashing. You’re giving a big shoulder shrug and saying Trump has the legal authority to do it ... which was never in question and is almost always the case, even when Presidents are doing something inappropriate. No one is saying Trump should be impeached for the interference and bullying Barr is imploring Trump to knock off (not that I’ve seen, certainly not on this thread). But what is remarkable is you have little to say other than, shrug, he can do what he wants. Call me a cynic but I somehow doubt that would be your reaction if Obama did the same thing to get an easier sentence for a criminal buddy.

shmogie

I agree issues should be taken one by one. We are talking about Barr’s criticism of Trump which you are whitewashing. You’re giving a big shoulder shrug and saying Trump has the legal authority to do it ... which was never in question and is almost always the case, even when Presidents are doing something inappropriate. No one is saying Trump should be impeached for the interference and bullying Barr is imploring Trump to knock off (not that I’ve seen, certainly not on this thread). But what is remarkable is you have little to say other than, shrug, he can do what he wants. Call me a cynic but I somehow doubt that would be your reaction if Obama did the same thing to get an easier sentence for a criminal buddy.
It was unwise and very poor optics. There is nothing to defend, Trump says goofy and unwise things on a daily basis. In hat regard he is his own worst enemy.

Barr says that he cannot do his job because of what Trump says.

Once I felt I absolutely had great grounds to prove I deserved a raise.

At my weekly meeting with my boss I said the stupidest thing in the world. I told him that if I didn't get a raise I would have to resign and take an offer for another position ( there at least was another offer). In truth I wanted to stay, but I gave my ultimatum.

My boss looked at me and calmly said "look under your chair and tell me what you see". I did, and puzzled I said "I don't see anything". His response was " I didn't think there was a chain holding you here" He made his point. ( I did get a raise)

Barr is a good man, a good lawyer, and his values are correct.

However, there is no chain holding him to his desk at the Justice department, and if he can't do his job, he has an option.

Trump is not going to step telling what he thinks is the way it is. He is not going to stop damaging sensitive ego's.

I can say that in this case that it was a mistake, what more am I supposed to say? His management style was not mine.

That isn't whitewashing, that is stating reality.

It was unwise and very poor optics. There is nothing to defend, Trump says goofy and unwise things on a daily basis. In hat regard he is his own worst enemy.

Barr says that he cannot do his job because of what Trump says.

Once I felt I absolutely had great grounds to prove I deserved a raise.

At my weekly meeting with my boss I said the stupidest thing in the world. I told him that if I didn't get a raise I would have to resign and take an offer for another position ( there at least was another offer). In truth I wanted to stay, but I gave my ultimatum.

My boss looked at me and calmly said "look under your chair and tell me what you see". I did, and puzzled I said "I don't see anything". His response was " I didn't think there was a chain holding you here" He made his point. ( I did get a raise)

Barr is a good man, a good lawyer, and his values are correct.

However, there is no chain holding him to his desk at the Justice department, and if he can't do his job, he has an option.

Trump is not going to step telling what he thinks is the way it is. He is not going to stop damaging sensitive ego's.

I can say that in this case that it was a mistake, what more am I supposed to say? His management style was not mine.

That isn't whitewashing, that is stating reality.
Thank you. We don’t see eye to eye exactly, I see it much more negatively than you do, but I concede that what you said above is not whitewashing.

Shad

Veteran Member
All of this business with Republicans telling me I am crazy and Republicans will never turn on Barr!!!!!!!!! Bug group of Republican DOJs is telling Barr to resign. That's his group, he will fold under the pressure. I would not think with that that Republicans would stand by his side in an impeachment trial.

Heres the source
More than 1,100 former prosecutors and other DOJ officials call on Attorney General Bill Barr to resign - CNNPolitics

Read your source and try again.