• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barr is being told to resign by big huge group of Republicans

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
More than 1,100 former prosecutors and other DOJ officials call on Attorney General Bill Barr to resign - CNNPolitics
Barr once had respect but now has blown it, as the AG job is not supposed to be the president's lawyer. And meddling in sentencing is both uncalled for and unethical.

esmith

Veteran Member
Barr once had respect but now has blown it, as the AG job is not supposed to be the president's lawyer. And meddling in sentencing is both uncalled for and unethical.
What meddling did the AG do?
What meddling did the President do?

I am curious to know what Trump’s defenders have to say in response to Bill Barr.

Barr says that when Trump publicly attacks the DOJ and weighs in on criminal cases involving his political allies, it makes it impossible for Barr to do his job with integrity.

Is Barr wrong?

sooda

Veteran Member
So, he is embarrassed by Trumps tweets, I am too.

You have absolutely no evidence that Trump interferes with Barr, in his job. An opinion voiced is not interference. Does not Trump have the right of free speech like every other citizen?

Lets take the absolute worst scenario, that Trump tells Barr what to do.

You and the democrats seem to think that the Justice Department is an iindependent agency that operates totally separate from the rest of government.

You and they are wrong. The Attorney General and the Justice department are under the control of the president. They are of the executive branch and all of the executive branch fall under the president. He, and only he is the judge of their performance.

Though it is a bad idea, and gives the enemy ammunition, he has the right to be involved in the justice department as much as he chooses.

Barr has the right to resign if he doesn't like it, he won't , because it isn't happening.

Barr is over a department that has been carefully packed with ideological democrats for decades. These are the ones who resigned with their hair on fire because Trump voiced his opinion. They, and those who signed the infamous letter, and the democrats want to deny Trump having control as much as possible over the government he was elected to run.,

It is all about fatally wounding Trump, because the people were stupid to elect him, and he cannot be allowed to do the job those stupid people want him to do, the democrats know better. It is a continuing coup d'eta, nothing less.

LOL.. Wake up.. Trump has interfered with Barr since Barr said I can't do my job.. Trump tweeted his interference.

sooda

Veteran Member
So, he is embarrassed by Trumps tweets, I am too.

You have absolutely no evidence that Trump interferes with Barr, in his job. An opinion voiced is not interference. Does not Trump have the right of free speech like every other citizen?

Lets take the absolute worst scenario, that Trump tells Barr what to do.

You and the democrats seem to think that the Justice Department is an iindependent agency that operates totally separate from the rest of government.

You and they are wrong. The Attorney General and the Justice department are under the control of the president. They are of the executive branch and all of the executive branch fall under the president. He, and only he is the judge of their performance.

Though it is a bad idea, and gives the enemy ammunition, he has the right to be involved in the justice department as much as he chooses.

Barr has the right to resign if he doesn't like it, he won't , because it isn't happening.

Barr is over a department that has been carefully packed with ideological democrats for decades. These are the ones who resigned with their hair on fire because Trump voiced his opinion. They, and those who signed the infamous letter, and the democrats want to deny Trump having control as much as possible over the government he was elected to run.,

It is all about fatally wounding Trump, because the people were stupid to elect him, and he cannot be allowed to do the job those stupid people want him to do, the democrats know better. It is a continuing coup d'eta, nothing less.

LOL.. Justice isn't partisan and yes it is independent.

shmogie

LOL.. Justice isn't partisan and yes it is independent.
You have no evidence it isn't in the case of Barr/Trump.

I have a plethora of evidence that under the Obama administration, that the law was consistently broken, and giant lies were told under oath to harass Trump and his campaign.

shmogie

LOL.. Wake up.. Trump has interfered with Barr since Barr said I can't do my job.. Trump tweeted his interference.
Nope. Barr said he could not do his job properly because of the folderol stupid tweets create.

He has NEVER said Trump has interfered directly in any case.

Nope. Barr said he could not do his job properly because of the folderol stupid tweets create.

He has NEVER said Trump has interfered directly in any case.
The second thing you said is true. The first thing you said is slightly different from what Barr said. What you call folderol, Barr characterized as a legitimate and predictable issue of integrity. Barr isn’t saying the reaction to the tweets is unjustified, he’s saying the tweets are unjustified and need to stop.

Is Barr wrong?

shmogie

I am curious to know what Trump’s defenders have to say in response to Bill Barr.

Barr says that when Trump publicly attacks the DOJ and weighs in on criminal cases involving his political allies, it makes it impossible for Barr to do his job with integrity.

Is Barr wrong?
I admire him for saying what he believes.

I also accept that Trump has the right of free speech, and can voice an opinion, and he has shown no reasonable restraint in doing so.

Part of Barrs statement, I believe, is to calm down the democrat bureaucrats he inherited regarding their criticism of him not standing up to the President. Though they never offered a peep about Holder stating he was Obama's wingman, which makes it clear his to job was to always go with Obama and defend him in every scenario. In other words, a puppet with Obama pulling the strings.

This is just another hyped up tempest in a teapot by the democrats which really amounts to nothing.

If in Barr's eyes a continuing problem exists, then he must step down.

Another win for the democrat coup.
The second thing you said is true. The first thing you said is slightly different from what Barr said. What you call folderol, Barr characterized as a legitimate and predictable issue of integrity. Barr isn’t saying the reaction to the tweets is unjustified, he’s saying the tweets are unjustified and need to stop.

Is Barr wrong?

Is Barr wrong?
An issue of integrity for whom? So, is your contention that the President cannot opine on what he considers a miscarriage of justice?

Riders

I also accept that Trump has the right of free speech, and can voice an opinion, and he has shown no reasonable restraint in doing so.

Part of Barrs statement, I believe, is to calm down the democrat bureaucrats he inherited regarding their criticism of him not standing up to the President. Though they never offered a peep about Holder stating he was Obama's wingman, which makes it clear his to job was to always go with Obama and defend him in every scenario. In other words, a puppet with Obama pulling the strings.

This is just another hyped up tempest in a teapot by the democrats which really amounts to nothing.

An issue of integrity for whom? So, is your contention that the President cannot opine on what he considers a miscarriage of justice?

Not if that is his way of giving orders no. Telling the DOJ what to do is not his job.

Thanks. Buried somewhere in there, was an admission that Trump may have done something inappropriate. I think.

To answer your question: it’s an issue of integrity for Barr and his Dept. Who else? Just so you are aware, Barr is the one who said that the President’s public comments about criminal cases make it impossible to do his job with integrity - his words, not mine.

To answer your other question: it is my contention that the president should not be publicly attacking / praising the DOJ and judges concerning ongoing criminal cases that involve his allies / foes, according to how they treat said allies / foes, because it creates the optics of a conflict of interest that make it impossible for the DOJ to do its job with integrity.

I am repeating almost exactly what Barr said.

Are you now saying Barr is wrong, after all?

shmogie

Thanks. Buried somewhere in there, was an admission that Trump may have done something inappropriate. I think.

To answer your question: it’s an issue of integrity for Barr and his Dept. Who else? Just so you are aware, Barr is the one who said that the President’s public comments about criminal cases make it impossible to do his job with integrity - his words, not mine.

To answer your other question: it is my contention that the president should not be publicly attacking / praising the DOJ and judges concerning ongoing criminal cases that involve his allies / foes, according to how they treat said allies / foes, because it creates the optics of a conflict of interest that make it impossible for the DOJ to do its job with integrity.

I am repeating almost exactly what Barr said.

Are you now saying Barr is wrong, after all?
Making unwise and sometimes very counterproductive statements is counterproductive.

Commenting on judges is always unwise.

I simply do not see how the president voicing his opinion on legal matters relates to the integrity of the DOJ. They should go about their business doing what they believe to be right, regardless of his opinion.

Hs opinion does not represent a conflict of interest, or to an informed person appear to be one. The Attorney General should not be a puppet of the President or vice versa. An opinion vs.what is actually being done shows the Attorney General certainly is not a puppet.

After a little research, I have learned that the letter touted by the OP was generated by a democrat organization of lawyers, supported by democrat donors. In other words, it is another democrat weapon used in the endless resistance war being waged against the President elected to be the head of government. Sadly, since the precedent has been unwisely established, I fear it will be seen again, on steroids, when there is a democrat President. Perhaps though, Republicans are classier than this.

The career DOJ lawyers that signed it represent far less than 1% of the total of lawyer who have or do serve in the DOJ.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When over 2000 former DoJ officials from both parties say that what Barr has been doing is so seriously wrong that he should resign, I would suggest that they're not just blowing smoke.

And, btw, it is simply disingenuous to accuse the Obama administration of doing anything nearly as severe as what Trump & Co are repeatedly doing in contempt of the"rule of law". Show us the list of former DOJ officials from both parties who asked his AG to resign. The Pubs hated Holder for mainly political reasons, and it's only at the end of the administration whereas he ignore their subpoena that could be considered a judicial breach. Heck, how many times have we seen the Trump administration do this??? And again, some seemingly can't get above the use of "false equivalencies".​

Making unwise and sometimes very counterproductive statements is counterproductive.

Commenting on judges is always unwise.

I simply do not see how the president voicing his opinion on legal matters relates to the integrity of the DOJ. They should go about their business doing what they believe to be right, regardless of his opinion.

Hs opinion does not represent a conflict of interest, or to an informed person appear to be one. The Attorney General should not be a puppet of the President or vice versa. An opinion vs.what is actually being done shows the Attorney General certainly is not a puppet.

After a little research, I have learned that the letter touted by the OP was generated by a democrat organization of lawyers, supported by democrat donors. In other words, it is another democrat weapon used in the endless resistance war being waged against the President elected to be the head of government. Sadly, since the precedent has been unwisely established, I fear it will be seen again, on steroids, when there is a democrat President. Perhaps though, Republicans are classier than this.

The career DOJ lawyers that signed it represent far less than 1% of the total of lawyer who have or do serve in the DOJ.
Barr said that what Trump is doing makes it impossible for him to do his job with integrity. The reason, he said, is because it raises legitimate questions of whether the DOJ is acting based on the merits of each criminal case, or based on Trump’s personal interests. Trump is, after all, the man who replaced the prior AG Jeff Sessions, even though he was a Trump loyalist, because he refused to intervene in an FBI investigation in Trump’s favor.

It sounds like you are saying you do not agree with Barr, when he says that Trump’s behavior is making it impossible for him to do his job with integrity. Is that correct?

Bill Barr is not part of the “resistance”. His TV interview was a cry for help ... one that many of the most well-intentioned Trump allies end up making, sooner or later, in a pattern that would be alarming to Trump’s supporters, if they weren’t so blinded by their own devotion.

Riders

By the way, they are supposed to sentence him in court Thursday. So while Republicans are laughing here because they think it worked, I got news for you: Most attorneys I saw on the internet talk about the sentence say it was a fair sentence for what he did and they will probably sentence him to 6 or 7 years anyways so,....

shmogie

Barr said that what Trump is doing makes it impossible for him to do his job with integrity. The reason, he said, is because it raises legitimate questions of whether the DOJ is acting based on the merits of each criminal case, or based on Trump’s personal interests. Trump is, after all, the man who replaced the prior AG Jeff Sessions, even though he was a Trump loyalist, because he refused to intervene in an FBI investigation in Trump’s favor.

It sounds like you are saying you do not agree with Barr, when he says that Trump’s behavior is making it impossible for him to do his job with integrity. Is that correct?

Bill Barr is not part of the “resistance”. His TV interview was a cry for help ... one that many of the most well-intentioned Trump allies end up making, sooner or later, in a pattern that would be alarming to Trump’s supporters, if they weren’t so blinded by their own devotion.
No, Barr is a man of total integrity. If he truly feels that way, he will resign.

Trumps explanation makes some sense. He affirms Barr's sterling integrity, but he feels that the media will not properly characterize anything he says, so he communicates directly.

My opinion is that he has the right to an opinion, no matter who it upsets, or who it angers, or how stupid.

They will work it out, or they won't.

As to Sessions, Trump believes that if he had not recused himself, he would not have been hoodwinked like Rosenstein was in appointing a special council on bogus material and by warrants obtained illegally.

The probable cause, the foundation of an investigation, did not exist, legally.

After two years of roiling BS the investigation was a flop.

The investigation that in a court of law the work product would be found inadmissable because it was based on illegal and erroneous foundations.

sooda

Veteran Member
No, Barr is a man of total integrity. If he truly feels that way, he will resign.

Trumps explanation makes some sense. He affirms Barr's sterling integrity, but he feels that the media will not properly characterize anything he says, so he communicates directly.

My opinion is that he has the right to an opinion, no matter who it upsets, or who it angers, or how stupid.

They will work it out, or they won't.

As to Sessions, Trump believes that if he had not recused himself, he would not have been hoodwinked like Rosenstein was in appointing a special council on bogus material and by warrants obtained illegally.

The probable cause, the foundation of an investigation, did not exist, legally.

After two years of roiling BS the investigation was a flop.

The investigation that in a court of law the work product would be found inadmissable because it was based on illegal and erroneous foundations.

Trump has compromised Barr and made him look like a fool. Barr was embarrassed, but he'll take it.